The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

So what do we reckon the transfer strategy will be this summer?

Go for tried and tested Scots like Paul McGinn who are out of contract? Take a reject from a bigger club like Tansey?

Go foreign again like Vladky and Popescu?

One thing is for sure, we won't be delving in to the 7th tier of English football or the Jamie fuckin Vardy academy.

Remember we picked up Cody Cooke from the Jamie Vardy football academy. He will kick on this season and actually be a decent player. We should be trying to unearth players of good quality from all sources. 

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

Remember we picked up Cody Cooke from the Jamie Vardy football academy. He will kick on this season and actually be a decent player. We should be trying to unearth players of good quality from all sources. 

I don't think we should be discounting anywhere. There will be players at that level who might be capable of making the step up.

Our issue last year was that we relied almost exclusively on that.

6 hours ago, AW saint said:

We did but  unfortunately we also got too  many duds as well,  working on that ratio; if we sign around 120 players we probably could end up with 11 or maybe even 12 that are OK,                     could we afford it though? .............NOT serious of course and I do think Cooke  has the potential to  become a decent striker,  inreality we  will  probably end up with a mix of foreign,  youth and     hopefully some  more academy finds.

Cooke is fine, but I wouldn't like to be going into next season with him as a vital player. He certainly has a role at the club, but more of a Sam Parkin role for me. What we badly need is a stick on first choice striker, and I think we will be looking abroad for that as I can't see us being hugely attractive to anyone in the Scottish leagues who fits that bill.

Maybe Cooke will work out however we cannot afford to wait a year to see if players we sign have the chance of making it. We need players that can provide competition from day one.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:
23 hours ago, AW saint said:

Maybe Cooke will work out however we cannot afford to wait a year to see if players we sign have the chance of making it. We need players that can provide competition from day one.

Not saying we can afford to go down this road where we wait etc. What I am saying is we cannot discount any avenue in unearthing players. We of course need players who can hit the ground running and players who are better than last years. 

Aside from trying to re-sign guys from last season there's barely a rumour about anyone we're trying to sign. Would be nice to have some new arrivals (and not just the return of someone who was on loan) sorted soon, just to stop us getting bored if nothing else.

Edited by Stu

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

Aside from trying to re-sign guys from last season there's barely a rumour about anyone we're trying to sign. Would be nice to have some new arrivals (and not just the return of someone who was on loan) sorted soon, just to stop us getting bored if nothing else.

Most contracts in England and Europe expire on 30th June. I reckon there won't be THAT much movement before then. Hopefully a couple of loan deals tied up.

But yeah, a signing or two this week would be magic.

Surely it's better for the fans to know nothing then no one can come in and gazump us which seem to happen a few times last couple of seasons.

7 hours ago, elvis said:

Surely it's better for the fans to know nothing then no one can come in and gazump us which seem to happen a few times last couple of seasons.

When has this happened in the last couple of seasons? The last time I remember another side came in and stole a player from under our noses was Alan Gow to Motherwell and that was about 7 years ago. 

We've been fended off in competition several times over the years but no one in the last two years has been reported as being exclusively chased by us and then someone else steals in from nowhere. Guys we publicly chased last year like Rooney and Beltrame were already on the radar of other sides and it was Alan Stubbs who knocked back Greg Stewart...he'd have potentially been a Saints player several weeks before Killie got him. 

44 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

When has this happened in the last couple of seasons? The last time I remember another side came in and stole a player from under our noses was Alan Gow to Motherwell and that was about 7 years ago. 

We've been fended off in competition several times over the years but no one in the last two years has been reported as being exclusively chased by us and then someone else steals in from nowhere. Guys we publicly chased last year like Rooney and Beltrame were already on the radar of other sides and it was Alan Stubbs who knocked back Greg Stewart...he'd have potentially been a Saints player several weeks before Killie got him. 

I dunno, I reckon Elvis has a point. Rare I'll say that, granted. Most of the clubs in the top flight would have taken Hladky, and any of the bottom six would have had Popescu. If we strike gold in Eastern Europe just a couple more times, then other clubs will be watching what we're doing very, very carefully. Reminds me a little of when Newcastle signed a few amazing French players for relative peanuts and suddenly Alan Carr's dad was the hottest thing in football scouting.

That said, you do get the impression the previous regime was leakier than a sieve, and now things have tightened up, basically nobody is ITK any more. I'm inclined to assume that's because Gus is in charge of identifying targets, he's a seasoned professional and his job is riding on bringing in targets in relative secrecy. It's probably a good thing on balance, but it's dull as hell for the rest of us :lol:

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I dunno, I reckon Elvis has a point. Rare I'll say that, granted. Most of the clubs in the top flight would have taken Hladky, and any of the bottom six would have had Popescu. If we strike gold in Eastern Europe just a couple more times, then other clubs will be watching what we're doing very, very carefully. Reminds me a little of when Newcastle signed a few amazing French players for relative peanuts and suddenly Alan Carr's dad was the hottest thing in football scouting.

That said, you do get the impression the previous regime was leakier than a sieve, and now things have tightened up, basically nobody is ITK any more. I'm inclined to assume that's because Gus is in charge of identifying targets, he's a seasoned professional and his job is riding on bringing in targets in relative secrecy. It's probably a good thing on balance, but it's dull as hell for the rest of us :lol:

I get what he means and don't mind the silence but it's not true to say we've been swooped on in the last couple of seasons after identifying targets. It's not happened for a long time. 

Even when we brought the two Slovakian boys over on trial in Jaunary, the rumour mill let out that one was Malec and its got in the papers, the second lad, Hlohovsky was known by a few folk but we did well by and large to keep the name under wraps and preventing it getting out. Hladky was known about a full week and a half before he signed and still was a shock to many when we did sign him. Most folk thought we were signing Logan Bailey. 

46 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Actually. Tell a lie, there was an Irish full back in January who an English club stopped us signing as another club bid cash for him. 

I'd forgotten about him. I'd also forgotten about those Slovakian lads. I wonder where they ended up?*

I'd love to see an exhaustive list of every player we've had in our squads over the past four years. I reckon it'd be scary reading. I'm busy at work this week pre-holiday or I'd have a stab at it myself.

Fake edit: Malec has scored four in 15 for FK RFS in the Latvian league, apparently.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Hlohovsky ended up back in the Slovakian league on a short term deal and is a free agent again I believe. 

Beltrame (the Stubbs 'marquee' player) had a brilliant season at his club on loan in Hollands 2nd league. Played in the number 10 role and scored 14 in 30 odd games with another 17 assists. 

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Hlohovsky ended up back in the Slovakian league on a short term deal and is a free agent again I believe. 

Beltrame (the Stubbs 'marquee' player) had a brilliant season at his club on loan in Hollands 2nd league. Played in the number 10 role and scored 14 in 30 odd games with another 17 assists. 

We took a long hard look at the Slovakians so something must not have added up. 

That's interesting about Beltrame. Looks like we missed out there - unless we were never really in the chase.