The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Would like to know how this super duper new transfer scouting system works. Does Gus watch folk on Wyscout/agent videos and then go and watch them in the flesh? Does Tony go with him as a second pair of eyes? If so, is the club suffering from the chief executive (or whatever his title is) regularly going off on scouting trips, meaning the main part of his job is being neglected?

I don't really know why we ditched the scouting network that was set up under Ross. We had a head of recruitment and a network of scouts. By their accounts, Stubbs ignored them and went his own way. That falls into the "well, they would say that - wouldn't they?" category but Brian Rice went with that approach and he didn't get binned.

I know things fall through and it's ever changing in the transfer window, but I don't think it's too much to have expected the man whose main, if not only, role is to identify signings to get us a forward. It shows how desperate we are that it seems our last resort was a St Johnstone reserve who has spent a lot of time injured and we lost out on him to Hamilton. Kearney has been saying for weeks, if not months, that we need a striker and yet he isn't going to get one. It's annoying as pretty much every other issue - leftback, wingers, goalkeeper - has been resolved.

And now we're in the classic stage of hoping to get guys in who are free agents. A lot of folk seem to be clinging to the fact that Hammill and Ferdinand were free agents (the same way they clung to the fact that Jamie Vardy came from non-league so Heaton and Cooke must be just as good) but from memory we haven't had the best of luck signing guys outwith the window. I'm probably missing someone obvious but the only folk I can remember us signing after the January window shut are Donati, who barely played, and the Harte/Camara farce. Think guys like Genev and Hegarty were outwith the window but can't remember which one.

Rant over!

EDIT: And now that I've seen elvis thinks we're doomed I reckon we'll make the top six and win the Scottish Cup :king

Edited by Stu

55 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If nothing else is concluded in the next 5 hours, I reckon we can safely say the game's a bogey.

This window held a lot of hope and we do look a wee bit stronger but crucially,  we've not added someone who can grab goals and we've not added someone in midfield who can help the defence. 

See you in the championship, lads and ladies.

Going into the relegation battle with Jackson as  the main striker with Mullen when fit, and Cooke as the other two options, doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. 

It could work if Cooke continues to show improvment and stays fit. But he’s really not got the necessary experience we need for the battle against relegation.

7 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Going into the relegation battle with Jackson as  the main striker with Mullen when fit, and Cooke as the other two options, doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. 

It could work if Cooke continues to show improvment and stays fit. But he’s really not got the necessary experience we need for the battle against relegation.

We have Jamieson as well. But realistically this is not acceptable

We do need to wait and see what happens in the next 4 hours before i lose the plot. Not impressed so far, its looking pretty grim but remember Gus pulled Adam and Sutton out the blue on a deadline day at the last minute.

Come on there won't be any rabbit out that hat this time. Go to sleep early this is our squad.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Would like to know how this super duper new transfer scouting system works. Does Gus watch folk on Wyscout/agent videos and then go and watch them in the flesh? Does Tony go with him as a second pair of eyes? If so, is the club suffering from the chief executive (or whatever his title is) regularly going off on scouting trips, meaning the main part of his job is being neglected?

I don't really know why we ditched the scouting network that was set up under Ross. We had a head of recruitment and a network of scouts. By their accounts, Stubbs ignored them and went his own way. That falls into the "well, they would say that - wouldn't they?" category but Brian Rice went with that approach and he didn't get binned.

I know things fall through and it's ever changing in the transfer window, but I don't think it's too much to have expected the man whose main, if not only, role is to identify signings to get us a forward. It shows how desperate we are that it seems our last resort was a St Johnstone reserve who has spent a lot of time injured and we lost out on him to Hamilton. Kearney has been saying for weeks, if not months, that we need a striker and yet he isn't going to get one. It's annoying as pretty much every other issue - leftback, wingers, goalkeeper - has been resolved.

And now we're in the classic stage of hoping to get guys in who are free agents. A lot of folk seem to be clinging to the fact that Hammill and Ferdinand were free agents (the same way they clung to the fact that Jamie Vardy came from non-league so Heaton and Cooke must be just as good) but from memory we haven't had the best of luck signing guys outwith the window. I'm probably missing someone obvious but the only folk I can remember us signing after the January window shut are Donati, who barely played, and the Harte/Camara farce. Think guys like Genev and Hegarty were outwith the window but can't remember which one.

Rant over!

EDIT: And now that I've seen elvis thinks we're doomed I reckon we'll make the top six and win the Scottish Cup :king

There's a significant out-of-contract signing you've forgotten.

Two words.

Alan.

Gow.

https://www.gsp.ro/fotbal/liga-1/exclusiv-dinamo-a-mai-cedat-un-jucator-laurentiu-corbu-a-fost-imprumutat-la-st-mirren-558881.html

Put into Google Translate and you get:

Dinamo escaped an undesirable. Right-back Laurentiu Corbu, 24, was loaned until the end of the season at St. Mirren, in the first league in Scotland, where two weeks ago, and the late Mihai Popescu.

Although Laurenţiu Corbu is the defender of Dinamo who made the most mistakes this season in League One, Mircea Rednic announced that he did not rely on his services, so the defender did not travel to Antalya camp. In the last period, the right defender was trained separately in Săftica, under the command of the second Iulian Mihăescu, along with the other undesirable from the lot, Katsikas and Pesici. Laurenţiu Corbu is at Dinamo in 2015 when he was brought from Urban Titu. This season, Corbu scored 13 matches. St. Mirren is ranked last in Scotland's first league, with 12 points in 23 matches. Both Corbu and Popescu were brought to St. Mirren by FIFA agent Antonis Antoniou.

Dundee have just been flapping throughout the whole window, panic buying just about anyone available. 

We’ve revamped Stubbs mess accordingly and a striker to complement Jackson is the missing piece of the puzzle. I think we’ll be absolutely fine.

Dundee have just been flapping throughout the whole window, panic buying just about anyone available. 
We’ve revamped Stubbs mess accordingly and a striker to complement Jackson is the missing piece of the puzzle. I think we’ll be absolutely fine.

We have 1 less player now than we did at the start of the window, and we’ve strengthened all of the positions that needed it most. From the outside looking in it might look like flapping but I think we’ve had an extremely positive window.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Rant over!

FANNY.