The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've screenshotted them in case he wakes up and has a rethink :lol:

It's not that bad really. Probably still raging over the Jim Goodwin video evidence hypocrisy :whistle

image.png.3b72e37386219723c3d70d33441745f1.png

image.png.26020d66da7e23fc607e83f62bbdac8d.png

image.png.af3cd82250078a477a49a9511be08068.png

https://twitter.com/StewartGilmour1/with_replies

I take back my previous opinion of Gilmour being an utter walloper. 

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just for the sake of furthering this. We now have an example.

Jimmy Dunne played for Hearts, his loan ended, he returned to play an U23 game for Burnley, and he's now joined Sunderland.

Yes, but that's not cross border for the 3rd club so it doesn't prove anything. The SFA would allow that domestically too. We could loan a player to say Carlisle for half a season, play him in Reserve or age level matches for ourselves and then send him to Annan on loan for the rest of the season. That was never in doubt. The query was whether FIFA would allow a cross Border 3rd club which is what would have to happen if St Mirren signed him. I suspect it will be fine but Jimmy Dunne doesn't really prove it.

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I honestly really didn't think there would be - but it was nice to dream :P

Yeah nice to dream but he'll be better suited to Hibs or Aberdeen in Celtic's eye's. 

Unfortunately we're brining in a host of unknows from across the sea's to help the cause.  Would be nice to get a name or two that excites us but I highly doubt it we'll just need to see how they do come Alloa game 

1 hour ago, Make Saints Great Again said:

Will Hladky and Malec be announced today, and then Lyons on Monday

Malec, and another player from Eastern Europe who has not been named, are playing in a bounce game today.

Hladky and Lyons signings should be announced very soon.

I guess they might give Lyons his day in the spotlight as a Blackburn signing today rather than immediately then announce he's been loaned to us so that might not be officially confirmed until start of next week but as McG has said, he's already with us and trained yesterday (and was very impressive by all accounts).

1 hour ago, Make Saints Great Again said:

Will Hladky and Malec be announced today, and then Lyons on Monday

Hladky, likely yes. Malec, no. Believe there is a bounce game arranged to have a wee look at him and A. N. Other

Edit: Cheers Div :lol:

Edited by djchapsticks

32 minutes ago, Div said:

Malec, and another player from Eastern Europe who has not been named, are playing in a bounce game today.

Hladky and Lyons signings should be announced very soon.

I guess they might give Lyons his day in the spotlight as a Blackburn signing today rather than immediately then announce he's been loaned to us so that might not be officially confirmed until start of next week but as McG has said, he's already with us and trained yesterday (and was very impressive by all accounts).

Lyons announced this Monday was last I heard mate.

Hearing this boy can really play a bit :)

Edited by McG

1 minute ago, McG said:

Lyons announced this Monday was last I heard mate.

Hearing this boy can really play a bit :)

Yeah, reports on Malec have also been very favourable.

Compare that feedback to that I heard when likes of NBM was in on trial and the players were absolutely amazed he got a contract :lol:

1 hour ago, paisleysaints said:

Yeah nice to dream but he'll be better suited to Hibs or Aberdeen in Celtic's eye's. 

Unfortunately we're brining in a host of unknows from across the sea's to help the cause.  Would be nice to get a name or two that excites us but I highly doubt it we'll just need to see how they do come Alloa game 

i remember Celtic fans being extremely dismissive of unknown foreigners Larsson and Moravcik.

We're obviously not looking at that kind of level, but the days of us signing 'names' I think are long gone - unless we find there's another big name player out there who's actually a Saints fan and wants to spend the last few years of his career with us (and bring a mate with him :lol:).

Edited by Bobby_F

54 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

i remember Celtic fans being extremely dismissive of unknown foreigners Larsson and Moravcik.

We're obviously not looking at that kind of level, but the days of us signing 'names' I think are long gone - unless we find there's another big name player out there who's actually a Saints fan and wants to spend the last few years of his career with us (and bring a mate with him :lol:).

Yeah guys like Thommo and McGinn are few and far between.  Time will tell on all signings I wasn't having dig at the signings they wont be worse than what was here we hope anyway lol

I’m quite excited about the new signings. Sounds like we are going down a different route. Despite what has happened in the last 6 months I don’t think anyone could have foreseen the damage that Stubbs could have done to the club in such a short space of time.

I am confident the club is in good hands currently, and when mistakes are made they are quickly rectified - not many boards would have acted so quickly to Rae and Stubbs (regardless of the state of affairs behind the scenes) I also think Scott might be funding some of this himself with a lot of the new back room staff and high turnover of players. Either scouting players ourselves overseas or buying scouting systems (whatever the new approach is) can’t be cheap either.

Feeling naively optimistic for the 6 months ahead!