The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

They're precisely the sort of player I was expecting us to be looking at in the summer. There have been some fairly massive failings at the club in the past six months, right enough.

On the plus side, whether Ferdinand turns out to be a revelation, a bit past it, or anywhere in between, he's a big name and will help to lure in other players. Call it the Thommo effect.

Some (or all?) of these guys would have been hoping to get a gig at a decent level in England during the summer. 

15 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Some (or all?) of these guys would have been hoping to get a gig at a decent level in England during the summer. 

That's a fair point. Could argue that their desperation now matches ours - it's finally an ideal market for us :lol: . I wonder where the fault lies there? Surely agents aren't doing their jobs correctly if their players end up without a contract at the end of the summer.

I'm staggered a guy who played 38 times in the Championship (albeit at a relegated side) would have failed to get a gig, though.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm staggered a guy who played 38 times in the Championship (albeit at a relegated side) would have failed to get a gig, though.

I suppose there could perhaps be a bit more to it. Personal circumstances, recovering from injury?

What certainly is positive is that we can attract these guys even if only for a trial and possibility of a short-term deal.

8 minutes ago, Drooper said:

I suppose there could perhaps be a bit more to it. Personal circumstances, recovering from injury?

What certainly is positive is that we can attract these guys even if only for a trial and possibility of a short-term deal.

Yeah, agree on both fronts.

It's 1.55am, the DJ's just stuck on Angels by Robbie Williams, and St Mirren's eyes are scanning the dancefloor for anything even vaguely acceptable - even if their best days are behind them.

12 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Looking at some newspaper articles, he was looking for a move to the A-League or such like...

Paisley it is then.

53 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, agree on both fronts.

It's 1.55am, the DJ's just stuck on Angels by Robbie Williams, and St Mirren's eyes are scanning the dancefloor for anything even vaguely acceptable - even if their best days are behind them.

To be fair, if the guys we were bringing in were all mid to late 30s I'd be rather concerned. 

You have to think at 29-31 years old and with the level they've spent their respective careers at, these guys could contribute massively. 

IF (massive if) they are fit enough and not carrying debilitating injuries. 

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Rumours that Adam Hammill has agreed terms and is signing today or tomorrow. 

McGugan next and we're in a much stronger spot than we were a few weeks ago. Significant improvements in several areas. 

McGugan not signing mate, not fit and carrying a few niggles.

Hammill could be a game changer.

16 minutes ago, Kyle said:

These big name signings are starting to remind me of Dundee United's in their relegation season. Hopefully they're more up for it than the rag tag crew that turned up there.

This. I'm struggling to remember many of these types who make a success of it up here. They generally spend six months trying to get up to speed before slinking back down south.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

These big name signings are starting to remind me of Dundee United's in their relegation season. Hopefully they're more up for it than the rag tag crew that turned up there.

I wouldn't say they are 'big names' necessarily. It is all relative to what Stubbs brought in.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

This. I'm struggling to remember many of these types who make a success of it up here. They generally spend six months trying to get up to speed before slinking back down south.

Talking of which , how's Tony Watt getting on ?

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not disagreeing, but it's literally the only option we have at this stage. At the start of the transfer window, we had the nucleus of a squad that could have competed, it just needed some quality and experience adding to it. Stubbs added inexperienced unknowns.

We are now, at least, trying to add those two elements to the squad. It's a huge roll of the dice, but in  weird way, we're so bad at the moment that the pressure is off.