The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Stu said:

That finally puts an end to the rumour and speculation that the players are not keen on Stubbs. 

It now confirms without a shadow of a doubt its the case. 

I've just seen a bit of chat on Twitter regarding Cammy Smith being allowed to move on.

Has Stubbs totally lost the plot? I thought he was absolutely outstanding against us last season (and in the Betfred), and it was no surprise that he didn't feature in the 0-1 game in Paisley where you guys created nothing. Between that and (apparently) not being interested in Liam Smith I fully understand why St Mirren fans are worried.

22 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Has Stubbs totally lost the plot? 

Is the key question. From what I can see the whole ripping the squad apart shambles stems from a potential paranoia of players' loyalties towards the previous manager. I'm not suggesting for a minute that the squad from last season was of Premiership standard, but a few shrewd additions to a close-knit squad would surely have made more sense than spinning £70K on a centre half who has barely featured and telling one of the best players from last season to f**k off.

I'm not one for knee jerk reactions, and we of course weren't expecting much from the Rangers and Aberdeen games, but the body language and attitude from the players in each of them was genuinely scary considering we've just been promoted. As for the Livi game, the way McGinn reacted to Smith coming on pretty much sums up what I think the players think of Stubbs tbh.

Early days I know, but this really is beginning to stink of Rae's first full season in charge.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

That finally puts an end to the rumour and speculation that the players are not keen on Stubbs. 

It now confirms without a shadow of a doubt its the case. 

It know nobody likes Stubbs and i can hardly blame them but should our club captain be giving off those 'vibes' in an interview?

He should be the one from the squad standing firm and rallying the troops/fans. Not giving a read between the lines interview. That twinned with his performances this season, i think its disgracefully unprofessional.

4 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

It know nobody likes Stubbs and i can hardly blame them but should our club captain be giving off those 'vibes' in an interview?

He should be the one from the squad standing firm and rallying the troops/fans. Not giving a read between the lines interview. That twinned with his performances this season, i think its disgracefully unprofessional.

What would be disgracefully unprofessional is standing idly by while the squad is ripped apart. This hierarchical nonsense of standing by the manager is pish. Sometimes you need to have enough integrity to say what you think in the knowledge that's the only way things will improve.

I'm glad McGinn has said something, if only to highlight to the hierarchy at the club that things aren't right.

Would also agree with the notion touched on above that Stubbs might try and drop him now and that would just send the fans way over the edge. 

Ross started the cull at the end of last season, since then the problems we've suffered are as follows

1. The bulk of the players JR was going to bring in got cold feet when his future became uncertain.
  2. TF/GLS took too long to appoint a replacement and didn't seem to want to chase any of the players JR had identified as targets.
  3. So far Stubbsy's recruitment has been "meh" in the extreme. 
  4. We don't have the calibre of player to play expansive football in this division - we have to adapt our tactics (shitfest) or get relegated.

Individually withdrawing the contract offer to Reilly and all of the players released or told they can leave can be justified (Cammy Smith might be the exception) but collectively it's added to the disruption within the squad and as I said none of the incomers seem to be upgrades. 

Crucial week coming up - if GLS doesn't free up some of the  McGinn money then Stubbsy is a lame duck and heading towards being a dead one!

Edited by btb

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

What would be disgracefully unprofessional is standing idly by while the squad is ripped apart. This hierarchical nonsense of standing by the manager is pish. Sometimes you need to have enough integrity to say what you think in the knowledge that's the only way things will improve.

Agreed.

What would McGinn have to achieve by bitching for the sake of it? If he is concerned about something that is going on, and cares sufficiently about the club (which I believe he does), should he just stay silent?

40 minutes ago, btb said:

Ross started the cull at the end of last season, since then the problems we've suffered are as follows

1. The bulk of the players JR was going to bring in got cold feet when his future became uncertain.
  2. TF/GLS took too long to appoint a replacement and didn't seem to want to chase any of the players JR had identified as targets.
  3. So far Stubbsy's recruitment has been "meh" in the extreme. 
  4. We don't have the calibre of player to play expansive football in this division - we have to adapt our tactics (shitfest) or get relegated.

Individually withdrawing the contract offer to Reilly and all of the players released or told they can leave can be justified (Cammy Smith might be the exception) but collectively it's added to the disruption within the squad and as I said none of the incomers seem to be upgrades. 

Crucial week coming up - if GLS doesn't free up some of the  McGinn money then Stubbsy is a lame duck and heading towards being a dead one!

It's not been 'meh', it's been awful. Out of all his signings I don't think any would have got a game last season. Willock looks ok, rest of them look poor at best.

I agree with your 4th point to an extent, but the players brought in aren't good enough to shitfest. The defence is so weak, compare it lo Livvy's who could very well shitfest their way to safety this year - although going on Saturday's they have some good players who can do more than that.

As for withdrawing Reilly's contract and telling others they can leave, this can only be justified if the players coming in are better than those who have left/been told they can leave. 

I had a look at Stubbs' early record at Hibs and it actually wasn't great. Took them until about December before they really got up and running. They went on to finish second in the Championship with Hearts and Rangers in the division. Completely different circumstances here but maybe, just maybe all these new signings who haven't played a lot of games might get up to speed and I'll have to eat my words.

Here's hoping.

Stubbs recruitment has been horrendous - he seems to be working on a project rather than dealing with reality. And telling Mackenzie, Eckersley, McShane, Hippolyte, Cammy (and one other) to find a new club; selling Stewart and withdrawing Reilly's contract were all a big mistake when he hasn't replaced any of them with better quality. Maybe all of these guys wouldn't have made it in the Premiership but I would prefer them to what he has brought in. Willock looks half decent but still unfit. Coulson is ok in attack but poor in defence. The rest are not of the standard required.

17 hours ago, Forest of Dean said:

I honestly think you guys should relax a bit and see what happens. Far too early to be as worried as you seem and you've already got 3 points on the board.

It isn't too early to be worried when you have witnessed what we have. The squad now comprises of either non-League young English players or players from the Vardy Academy or U21 players from established English clubs. The one and only experienced player he has signed is Hodson.  Most have never player any first team football in their life yet they are expected to walk into a team in the Premiership. And telling arguably our best player to find another club shows he has sadly mistaken the quality required in this League.

10 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

It isn't too early to be worried when you have witnessed what we have. The squad now comprises of either non-League young English players or players from the Vardy Academy or U21 players from established English clubs. The one and only experienced player he has signed is Hodson.  Most have never player any first team football in their life yet they are expected to walk into a team in the Premiership. And telling arguably our best player to find another club shows he has sadly mistaken the quality required in this League.

It's a complete lack of respect to Scottish football and to our club. Those saying Stubbs should be given at least 12 games I would say we will be well adrift by then. This is not a case of trying and losing games. This is a team that lack basic skills , Have no direction. Some of Stubbs signings would not make the championship never mind the premiership. 

9 minutes ago, McG said:

Only a matter of time.

I don't wish anyone the sack and i hoped stubbs would do a good job but clearly him and his staff have caused more problems for us than anything.   he's got 4 days to preform a miracle if he gets that long.  I'm not even sure i want him to blow anymore money on pish players

5 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

I don't wish anyone the sack and i hoped stubbs would do a good job but clearly him and his staff have caused more problems for us than anything.   he's got 4 days to preform a miracle if he gets that long.  I'm not even sure i want him to blow anymore money on pish players

I’m not sure if he is going to be trusted with anymore budget.