The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Yeah it's true of amateurs. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if a number of their players are amateurs. 
likely recieve travel expenses and a thank you and thats it. doubt spartans have any semi-pro players.

23 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Now is not the time to panic. If we are still in the same place come the end of the window then we panic.

Disagree, if we panic at the end of the window there might be feck all we can do about it. Now is precisely the time to panic!

28 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Now is not the time to panic. If we are still in the same place come the end of the window then we panic.

I’m not about to panic. I fervently want Alan Stubbs to show his mettle and bring in some decent quality between now and the Dundee game, and he then forges a team together that competes and we can be proud of. Even if we are down and dirty near the bottom, if we are at least competitive and organised while showing some balls, then fair do’s.

If the Spartans game and a 0-6 hosing by the Mackems proves to be indicative of what’s to come, he’ll be bagged in January and Jim Goodwin will come in to at least re-ignite some spirit and get us pulling in the same direction again.

So, either way, why panic. It’s fitba’. I’m all for the first scenario, so come on, let’s be having you. If anyone might panic, it’ll be GLS and Fitzy, having handed him a three-year contract. They must be praying to their God of choice that Stubbs doesn’t do a Murray / Craig / Rae on them.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

This is true, the feeling at the end of last season has somewhat disappeared although that's not all of Stubbs' doing. Ross not only released a load of players but then left us "in the lurch" as it were. I don't blame Ross at all for taking the gamble, but I'm not sure the downward spiral in mood can only be attributed to Stubbs.

As I've alluded to above, Ross got rid of quite a few himself. I take the point you are making, though.

The only player in the first team squad that Ross got rid of was Stelios (1). Davis wanted to go back down South, Smith returned to Hearts, Morgan's loan ended and he offered Reilly a new contract. Stubbs has got rid of Hypo, told Reilly he wasn't wanted and told 3 other first team regulars to find new clubs (5). Stubbs has undoubtedly got rid of more of that winning squad than Ross did.

On 7/22/2018 at 10:52, Cumdog35 said:

Oops.

Guys, seriously. Don't be too disheartened. Stubbs will need time to get things right. You have lost alot of good players over the past wee while. Give him the year, as long as you avoid relegation then happy days. What formation did he play out of interest?

4-5-1 . Not what we are used to (4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1). The wide men are not wingers and the lone striker is isolated. Sitting too deep and getting picked off in the last two games although looked not bad against Killie.

16 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

The only player in the first team squad that Ross got rid of was Stelios (1). Davis wanted to go back down South, Smith returned to Hearts, Morgan's loan ended and he offered Reilly a new contract. Stubbs has got rid of Hypo, told Reilly he wasn't wanted and told 3 other first team regulars to find new clubs (5). Stubbs has undoubtedly got rid of more of that winning squad than Ross did.

So... Stubbs has sold Hippolyte and didn't keep Reilly's contract on the table (a contract he had shown no interest in signing), that's not dismantling a "winning squad" in the slightest. All I'm saying is that it's hardly as if Stubbs has come along and ripped the heart out of the team.

You could argue that letting McShane, McKenzie and Eckersley to leave before finding replacements was a bad idea, but perhaps he sees Coulson, Kpekawa and the moving of MacPherson up to the first team as those replacements.

I'm not in any way trying to polish a turd here, I don't think Stubbs has covered himself in any glory so far, but the idea he is to blame for breaking up a winning team is not entirely correct.

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

You're right. Surely easier for Bazil to admit he got it wrong when referring to Spartans as amateurs, but as I know from experience Bazil likes to waffle on for a few pages at least, until the subject matter fizzles into distant memory...

:P

I said I wasn’t sure. If they aren’t amateur then they certainly play at a similar level to them anyway. Does anyone actually know for sure? 

If they are part time and not amateur then I sincerely apologise. OMG it makes such a difference to the point :D please let’s continue to discuss this tiny detail that will completely justify an SP, professional club, drawing with them at home... :P

50 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
1 hour ago, Bazil85 said:
Yeah it's true of amateurs. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if a number of their players are amateurs. 

likely recieve travel expenses and a thank you and thats it. doubt spartans have any semi-pro players.

I agree 

28 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Correct, but Reilly farted around and give he had what 2 league goals since Christmas in a title winning team it is hard to justify that as an error given we are stepping up a level. 

The problem is we had a good Championship team but for the Premiership we need to massively improve. Jack's team got horsed against every Premiership team- cup or friendly last season.

We need better Premiership quality players. Telling Eck and McKenzie to leave isn't necessarily a mistake, telling them to go before replacements are there is!  

Just now, flyingscot said:

Correct, but Reilly farted around and give he had what 2 league goals since Christmas in a title winning team it is hard to justify that as an error given we are stepping up a level. 

The problem is we had a good Championship team but for the Premiership we need to massively improve. Jack's team got horsed against every Premiership team- cup or friendly last season.

We need better Premiership quality players. Telling Eck and McKenzie to leave isn't necessarily a mistake, telling them to go before replacements are there is!  

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

So... Stubbs has sold Hippolyte and didn't keep Reilly's contract on the table (a contract he had shown no interest in signing), that's not dismantling a "winning squad" in the slightest. All I'm saying is that it's hardly as if Stubbs has come along and ripped the heart out of the team.

You could argue that letting McShane, McKenzie and Eckersley to leave before finding replacements was a bad idea, but perhaps he sees Coulson, Kpekawa and the moving of MacPherson up to the first team as those replacements.

I'm not in any way trying to polish a turd here, I don't think Stubbs has covered himself in any glory so far, but the idea he is to blame for breaking up a winning team is not entirely correct.

BM quoted that Ross got rid of a lot of the Championship winning squad. The only point I am making is that Ross got rid of 1 player and Stubbs has got rid of (one way or another) 5 members of that squad. No need to widen the point out into other discussions. Stubbs has dismantled more than Ross. That's all.

I would say it’s quite obvious we have lost out on a lot of signings since we are scrambling about with trialists when the league opener is less than 2 weeks away.

That's the bit I struggle with. We keep getting told Scottish clubs can't compete with English salaries, so by definition we're signing very low level players yet expecting them to play in Scotland's top league.

Does the manager really think the Scottish premiership is that poor?

Also just like Rotherham Stubbs was talking about bringing in Everton players...... never happened then and hasn't happened here yet either. I am starting to wonder if he blew smoke up the Chairman arse much like TC did with his contacts in the game.

Now there are rumours of him complaining about budget, like our budget is new news to him, especially given Robbie Nielsen's comments on the subject.

That was a squad at a lower level. I don’t think it’s any use fretting about it now we’ve still got over a month to make signings.
McShane and Reilly weren’t getting a game because we had better in the squad already and we’ve retained those players.
We’ve just been promoted, we’re going into this season with no expectations. If it’s crap, stay in the pub up until kick off or the full game. Then it’s not as bad!

1 minute ago, NorthBank said:

The only point I am making is that Ross got rid of 1 player ...

Rather than turn this into a tit for tat, let me say I can see your point, but it's a tad disingenuous to claim Stubbs got rid of Reilly by not renewing his contract yet Ross didn't get rid of 8 others by not renewing their contracts. FWIW I thought Ross had judged it pretty well in regard to who he got rid of, but he still got rid of them.

Bottom line is, I don't believe that Stubbs has done well so far.. and in an effort to avoid an argument let's just agree on that point.. :)

2 hours ago, ah-dee said:
3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:
I actually didn't think you were that bad yesterday. Mendy missed a few chances but he looked lively and was getting into decent positions. The League Cup is ripe for 'shocks', I wouldn't be overly concerned if I was a Dundee fan after that, tbh.

not overly concerned at all apart from at LB. hoping the lad ralph just had nerves making his home debut. how does paul mcginn look so far? i rated him at dens

I'd file him under 'will do an ok job' at the moment. It's tough for him because Liam Smith was so good.

The concern is that McGinn might be alright in a decent team, but will look poor/exposed at Alan Stubbs's St Mirren.

2 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Rather than turn this into a tit for tat, let me say I can see your point, but it's a tad disingenuous to claim Stubbs got rid of Reilly by not renewing his contract yet Ross didn't get rid of 8 others by not renewing their contracts. FWIW I thought Ross had judged it pretty well in regard to who he got rid of, but he still got rid of them.

Bottom line is, I don't believe that Stubbs has done well so far.. and in an effort to avoid an argument let's just agree on that point.. :)

Reilly alleges he was about to sign when the contract was withdrawn by Stubbs. Ross had offered the contract and wanted Reilly to stay (and I believe he would have signed if Ross was there at the time).  Nothing disingenuous in that. I have better things to do than argue about the merits of individuals I was just pointing out that Ross only told 1 player who was in the first team squad to leave. He did get rid of lots of young players and maybe a couple of fringe players and at least 3 players retired but out of those that made a decent contribution to winning the Championship he only told Stelios to go.  That is the only point I am making.

I'd file him under 'will do an ok job' at the moment. It's tough for him because Liam Smith was so good.
The concern is that McGinn might be alright in a decent team, but will look poor/exposed at Alan Stubbs's St Mirren.
i wouldnt be overly concerned about him. he will perform consistently at about 6/10 all season. not great but enough. how about stephen? seems his career has fizzled out since he left dens seeking a "big" move. also a boy i rated

20 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

i wouldnt be overly concerned about him. he will perform consistently at about 6/10 all season. not great but enough. how about stephen? seems his career has fizzled out since he left dens seeking a "big" move. also a boy i rated

Stephen McGinn has been nothing short of magnificent for us.

stephen mcginn has a great football brain and i would put money on him being your POTY. he shat the bed leaving dundee looking for a big move down south but cant fault him for trying. best of luck to you guys this season just not as much luck as us!

47 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Tonight, you dine on green dots!

McGinn has been magnificent and it's one of the few bright sparks of the season knowing he's still going to be around as even when we are shit he'll put in 100% while demanding others do too!