The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

31 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

We play an amateur side tomorrow night.

Is there another amateur side in our Group?

Spartans are either amateur or p/t. At that level it amounts to pretty much the same team. Doubt they have any players getting paid for than £50 a week. 

I think the most concerning thing from a St Mirren point of view is the rapid destruction of the feel-good factor that Jack Ross had created at St Mirren. Crowds flocking to St Mirren Park, a strong vocal backing, a real bond between fans and players...Stubbs is risking destroying all of that momentum, which is huge in football, and player or manager would tell you that.

Was at the game on Saturday in the away end and whilst Sunderland were on fire (Gooch and McGeouch were absolutely outstanding), I was stunned, as were the Sunderland fans around me, at how much of a shambles St Mirren were. Pre-season it may be, but that team will send you straight back to The Championship.

4 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

Spartans are either amateur or p/t. At that level it amounts to pretty much the same team. Doubt they have any players getting paid for than £50 a week. 

They do. A fair chunk do.

6 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

Paying them £50 a week on a part time contract would be illegal, I would imagine. Doubt that would be more than minimum wage for the hours they do.

19 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Is that a guess due to how things are panning out. Don't need names do you have any idea how potentioal signings  are going ? 

I would say it’s quite obvious we have lost out on a lot of signings since we are scrambling about with trialists when the league opener is less than 2 weeks away.

3 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

They do. A fair chunk do.

I don't think there is anything we can justify on the quality of Spartans players against our own. They play 30+ spaces below us in the league structure. It's a concern not being able to beat them comfortably. 

7 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

I think the most concerning thing from a St Mirren point of view is the rapid destruction of the feel-good factor that Jack Ross had created at St Mirren. Crowds flocking to St Mirren Park, a strong vocal backing, a real bond between fans and players...Stubbs is risking destroying all of that momentum, which is huge in football, and player or manager would tell you that.

Was at the game on Saturday in the away end and whilst Sunderland were on fire (Gooch and McGeouch were absolutely outstanding), I was stunned, as were the Sunderland fans around me, at how much of a shambles St Mirren were. Pre-season it may be, but that team will send you straight back to The Championship.

Yea alarm bells are ringing out however three players were on  trial , what we seen against Kilmarnock makes me think something is there ( I hope ) 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Paying them £50 a week on a part time contract would be illegal, I would imagine. Doubt that would be more than minimum wage for the hours they do.

£50 a week - Would pay over nine hours at min wage a week. Only training part time for players that likely have full time jobs I doubt it would be illegal.

In saying that, I do feel we're focusing on the wrong part of our team drawing with Spartans. :lol:

1 minute ago, Bazil85 said:

£50 a week - Would pay over nine hours at min wage a week. Only training part time for players that likely have full time jobs I doubt it would be illegal.

In saying that, I do feel we're focusing on the wrong part of our team drawing with Spartans. :lol:

If they were 18-20 year olds they could pay them for 9 hours work at that price, less again for 21-24's and then less again for over 25's.  I'm not sure what hours Spartans will cover in their contract but I would imagine it will be more than 9 given they get entry to National cups and may need to travel 5+ hours each way.

3 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Yea alarm bells are ringing out however three players were on  trial , what we seen against Kilmarnock makes me think something is there ( I hope ) 

I watched that game and thought you looked pretty well equipped to have a decent season. It must be said that Sunderland were excellent on Saturday, and maybe St Mirren players recognised that it was far from the most important game they'll play in. Still, as I said, momentum is important and getting horsed on your own patch isn't going to do wonders for morale on the pitch or in the stands.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

If they were 18-20 year olds they could pay them for 9 hours work at that price, less again for 21-24's and then less again for over 25's.  I'm not sure what hours Spartans will cover in their contract but I would imagine it will be more than 9 given they get entry to National cups and may need to travel 5+ hours each way.

Possibly, again I feel we're focusing on the wrong aspect here. My gut feel is it'll be a mix of amateur/ p-t contracts and no one will be on earth shattering money above £50 (or certainly not much) 

Regardless of the granular details, we still shouldn't be drawing with Spartans. 

40 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

This is true, the feeling at the end of last season has somewhat disappeared although that's not all of Stubbs' doing. Ross not only released a load of players but then left us "in the lurch" as it were. I don't blame Ross at all for taking the gamble, but I'm not sure the downward spiral in mood can only be attributed to Stubbs.

1 hour ago, McG said:

Stubbs has done a terry butcher by telling too many players too soon that they are free to find new clubs.

As I've alluded to above, Ross got rid of quite a few himself. I take the point you are making, though.

Edited by Buddist Monk

I actually didn't think you were that bad yesterday. Mendy missed a few chances but he looked lively and was getting into decent positions. The League Cup is ripe for 'shocks', I wouldn't be overly concerned if I was a Dundee fan after that, tbh.
not overly concerned at all apart from at LB. hoping the lad ralph just had nerves making his home debut. how does paul mcginn look so far? i rated him at dens

One other thing I'd like to point out, we are unbeaten in competitive games just now. Sure Spartans was bad, but essentially we only dropped a point. While I understand some of the knicker wetting, the actual statistics don't necessarily bear that out.

Possibly, again I feel we're focusing on the wrong aspect here. My gut feel is it'll be a mix of amateur/ p-t contracts and no one will be on earth shattering money above £50 (or certainly not much) 
Regardless of the granular details, we still shouldn't be drawing with Spartans. 
i thought you didnt have to pay anything to players if you held amateur status? was that not the case with queens park? might be wrong or it may have changed.

24 minutes ago, Leeds Saint said:
1 hour ago, McG said:
This season isn’t going to end well.

Now I'm concerned. McG is usually spot on with the info.

With respect to McG, this isn't info, but rather a prediction based on info... ;)

Things aren't looking good on the recruitment front, and by that I mean getting in these 4 or 5 exciting players Stubbs was confident on getting, rather than the National League signings which would have been relatively cheap in comparison. Time for the players at the club to show their mettle, and for the manager to perhaps reconsider the players he's told to find a new club - swallow his pride? Regardless of whether he does or doesn't, he needs to start getting performances and results from his squad - starting tomorrow night.

21 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
45 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

i thought you didnt have to pay anything to players if you held amateur status? was that not the case with queens park? might be wrong or it may have changed.

Yeah it's true of amateurs. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if a number of their players are amateurs. 

20 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
44 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

You're right. Surely easier for Bazil to admit he got it wrong when referring to Spartans as amateurs, but as I know from experience Bazil likes to waffle on for a few pages at least, until the subject matter fizzles into distant memory...

:P

53 minutes ago, Leeds Saint said:
2 hours ago, McG said:
This season isn’t going to end well.

Now I'm concerned. McG is usually spot on with the info.

Now is not the time to panic. If we are still in the same place come the end of the window then we panic.