The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

The type of players Jack signed had already established themselves at decent clubs.

You mean Stellios, Kirkpatrick, Todd and the two Stewarts?

Ross signed some decent players, of that there is no doubt, but to suggest he also didn't bring in some that were complete gambles is not true at all.

As for those with experience, Duffy and Donati? Is that the level you want?

Ross signed some decent players, of that there is no doubt, but to suggest he also didn't bring in some that were complete gambles is not true at all.
Argumentative pish. Who mentioned Donati or Duffy? Both were brought in as emergency cover and the rest were squad players. That is B&WA whataboutery at its finest.

I am hopeful that Stubbs has some experienced players lined up too as youth players generally lack consistency and can struggle with the physicality of Scottish football. However I am certain the manager knows that and will address it and so should you.

Just now, Torfason said:

Argumentative pish. Who mentioned Donati or Duffy? Both were brought in as emergency cover and the rest were squad players.

It's not at all, I'm just pointing out the error of suggesting Ross only signed "established players at decent clubs".

Donati and Duffy were the two most experienced players Ross brought in.

2 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I am hopeful that Stubbs has some experienced players lined up too as youth players generally lack consistency and can struggle with the physicality of Scottish football. However I am certain the manager knows that and will address it and so should you.

Completely agree with you on this though. I do want to see a little more experience brought in, but players like Coulson who is a relative unknown to us seems to have a decent pedigree.

20 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Samson - Motherwell
Reilly - Hearts
Buchanan - Dumbarton
McShane - County
Mullen - Livi
Flynn - Oldham
Donati - Hamilton
Hippo - Falkirk
Eckersley - Hibs
Cammy Smith - Aberdeen
McGinn - Wycombe
Todd - Dumbarton

All were relatively proven at the level we were playing at... my point is that none of the players we've signed so far, are proven at the level we're now playing at. It's a huge step up - going from playing in front of 300 people for Middlesbrough’s youth team or Truro City - to playing in front of 5-6K at home and occasionally 50 or 60K at Parkhead or Ibrox. 

11 minutes ago, Doakes said:

It's a huge step up - going from playing in front of 300 people for Middlesbrough’s youth team or Truro City - to playing in front of 5-6K at home and occasionally 50 or 60K at Parkhead or Ibrox. 

On the plus side they'll be fucking amazing when you come to play us and Hamilton.

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

Samson - Motherwell
Reilly - Hearts
Buchanan - Dumbarton
McShane - County
Mullen - Livi
Flynn - Oldham
Donati - Hamilton
Hippo - Falkirk
Eckersley - Hibs
Cammy Smith - Aberdeen
McGinn - Wycombe
Todd - Dumbarton

All were relatively proven at the level we were playing at... my point is that none of the players we've signed so far, are proven at the level we're now playing at. It's a huge step up - going from playing in front of 300 people for Middlesbrough’s youth team or Truro City - to playing in front of 5-6K at home and occasionally 50 or 60K at Parkhead or Ibrox. 

I was not being as argumentative as Torfason suggests, you were just a little too blanket in your claim Ross only signed experienced players. You've also missed out Kirkpatrick and Hilson from your list too. Plus Eckersley didn't come from Hibs.

In general though I agree with you, as I do Torfason, we could do with some more experience.

Edited by Buddist Monk

3 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

We are all wondering what it will be like, until the squad is complete and watched a few games only then will pass judgment. At this time I'm not overly worried Alan Stubbs is no fool. 

Are you saying that you're worried that he is a fool?

Jinkies, Genev... I'd forgotten all about him. He's a real St Mirren Trivial Pursuit question isn't he?

Thing is, you look at those playes; Sadlier, Osbourne, Tesselaar Dayton, Arquin, most managers would have got far more out of them than Craig ever did.

Edited by Buddist Monk

3 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

I’d say AS recruitment was his strongest quality when he was with us. He signed a lot of really good players which are still part of our team today. 

There's an article kicking about which lists all Stubbs signings for Hibs and it's impressive, though I'm not sure how many of them were complete unknowns before they arrived, as this new batch of Saints players are. I can understand why some of our fans are nervous to be honest. The two seasons we signed a load of relative unknowns from England or the lower leagues weren't great. I'm happy to give it a chance, plenty of teams have followed this route and done extremely well out of it. Hopefully it's our turn this time.

I'm far happier with England U18 - U23 young starlets from the English Championship than I am with Marwood from non league Gateshead. I mean fair play to Marwood, he tried and maybe I'm being harsh on him, but it does seem like Stubbs is picking up players that look like they could develop further.

I was a big fan of Ross, still am for that matter - you have to love a man who carries himself that well both in and out of the dressing room, but I'm warming to Stubbs. Like most I'd like to see a little more experience brought in, and I'm sure we'll see them.. * fingers crossed for a big money move for John McGinn *

Jinkies, Genev... I'd forgotten all about him. He's a real St Mirren Trivial Pursuit question isn't he?
Thing is, you look at those playes; Sadlier, Osbourne, Tesselaar Dayton, Arquin, most managers would have got far more out of them than Craig ever did.
Anyone signed from mid December onwards were signed by Teale ie Dayton, Arquin Sadlier.

I'm far happier with England U18 - U23 young starlets from the English Championship than I am with Marwood from non league Gateshead. I mean fair play to Marwood, he tried and maybe I'm being harsh on him, but it does seem like Stubbs is picking up players that look like they could develop further.
I was a big fan of Ross, still am for that matter - you have to love a man who carries himself that well both in and out of the dressing room, but I'm warming to Stubbs. Like most I'd like to see a little more experience brought in, and I'm sure we'll see them.. * fingers crossed for a big money move for John McGinn *

Well we would get him a third cheaper than anyone else...

13 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

I was not being as argumentative as Torfason suggests, you were just a little too blanket in your claim Ross only signed experienced players. You've also missed out Kirkpatrick and Hilson from your list too. Plus Eckersley didn't come from Hibs.

In general though I agree with you, as I do Torfason, we could do with some more experience.

To be fair, I didnae use the word experience, in my point I said they were already established at clubs of a similar level to ours. I like the idea of signing young players, just think getting rid of 2 proven defenders is a risky move, especially when our defence was decent last season. Only left those 2 out because you had already mentioned them in our debate! 

If by some bizarre reason I found myself in Alan Stubbs shoes - I would have kept Gary Mac at the least. Probably would have brought in a player like Heaton if available, tall and definitely has potential, but yer MacKenzie type players can prove vital when you’re needing a bit of extra stability in a game, or contending with an aerial threat.