The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

It's an open forum so of course you are totally entitled to. I just find it a little odd that you were happy to discuss the topic only to then post a "I don't care" answer.

I was happy to discuss until your answers became increasingly boring.

That will be all for now.

4 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Sure, buddy, your choice. I think the topic is important, but if other people's opinion bores you then fair enough.

Not your opinion, your droning on.

"...you are wrong about what is justifiable. While in the realm of subjectivity it's fair to say that the line is blurry. Objectively there are universally accepted norms..."

zzzzzzzz

Spoiler

We played Dundee in a pre-season game last year , I didn't recognise many of their players , but they were mostly bigger and stronger and they gave us a doing.  These three guys coming in are  6ft plus monsters , I'm sure they will be decent squad players !

6 minutes ago, billyg said:
  Reveal hidden contents

We played Dundee in a pre-season game last year , I didn't recognise many of their players , but they were mostly bigger and stronger and they gave us a doing.  These three guys coming in are  6ft plus monsters , I'm sure they will be decent squad players !

See also: Livingston.

47 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Caley Thistle signed 8 players from Non League in summer 2013/14, and one from Ireland, finishing 5th in the Premiership that season. I'm not saying we'll do likewise, just that there are good players at that level who can do a job. It's up to the manager to select the right players and to supplement them with a bit of experience, which we already have in the form of McGinn, Samson, Mackenzie, Eckersley and Flynn, to name just a few.

Let's see how we do before rounding on the manager shall we?

We all have our opinions, I hope we do well but have grave doubts. Time will tell.

6 minutes ago, billyg said:

It's been really noticeable in the last 10-15 years how the lower English leagues that we were on a par with, now have teams that are full of lads that are built like brick shithouses. I said last season we were a little lightweight, literally, so I'm all in favour of a "bit more beef" in the squad.

7 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

We all have our opinions, I hope we do well but have grave doubts. Time will tell.

Grave doubts? Surely not that bad mate? It's always a gamble signing players, but with the nucleus already at the club, I hope these new guys can slot in and do a job

Edited by Soctty

18 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I'm just a bit wordy that's all. I get that some people think I'm a tedious c**t on here, and that's a shame because I'm really not like that in real life.

I'll try to be more concise in future.

Works for me... ;)

I for one am looking forward to seeing how the players gel, not only under a new manager but with so many changes in playing staff.

I think Stubbs is making the right choice in bringing in hungry, younger talent from other leagues, and blending them with the experience we have in players like McGinn, Eckerslie and MacKenzie. Hopefully a couple more seasoned players (particularly a goalscorer or two to feed off the supply from players like Smith, Hippo and Flynn) to come in. I'm not totally averse to the rumours about Stokes, as he's clearly knows where the goal is, provided Stubbs can control him and his off the field sh*te like he managed to at Hibs. Wouldn't take Miller though.

It'll be an interesting season ahead...

3 minutes ago, JimmyMirren said:

I'm not totally averse to the rumours about Stokes, as he's clearly knows where the goal is, provided Stubbs can control him and his off the field sh*te like he managed to at Hibs. Wouldn't take Miller though.

It'll be an interesting season ahead...

I'm in the take him camp,  i know alot of people dont want him anywhere near us but lets be honest if he does and probably a big if,  and he's banging the goals away no one will give a monkeys

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Not to defend the whole non-league signing policy as I've clearly never seen these players but we brought in the guts of £2m in transfer income off the back of recruiting from non-league. Marvin Johnson (Oxford & sell on to Middlesboro), Ben Heneghan (Sheffield Utd) & Louis Moult (Preston North End). Moult had the added bonus of 50 goals in 98 games.

One of our most consistent players last season (Richard Tait) was signed from Grimsby when they were non-league.

I don't think you can necessarily get away with filling your first XI with non-league players and regardless of what anyone says it's a massive step up to go from that level to the Scottish Premiership. For all we've had success recruiting at that level none of our signings  last summer were from that level. Carson had been relegated with Hartlepool but didn't play any games for them at that level, though either way he's now a Northern Ireland international and one of the best goalkeepers in the league.

It really just depends how good your scouting is. There's tons of utter, utter dross but equally there are players who can make the step up if they're willing to put the work in.

Kindly take your rationality and level headedness elsewhere. 

We'll only have screaming basketcases on here, thanks. 

But in honesty, yeah it's a good strategy if done well. Stubbs being a coach at the V9 has certainly helped him to get a view of these guys at close proximity for a bit of time as well as the chance to talk to them as well. Puts me much more at ease than a scout or third party recommendation. 

I hope Stubbs stays on at the academy and continues to do it even part time if possible. There are a few players already who have gone on to league football from it and it's a very interesting use of resources... rather than inviting players in to SMFC on trial, go watch them in amongst their peers and you have an oversight of 30+ bodies. 

5 hours ago, Soctty said:

Caley Thistle signed 8 players from Non League in summer 2013/14, and one from Ireland, finishing 5th in the Premiership that season. I'm not saying we'll do likewise, just that there are good players at that level who can do a job. It's up to the manager to select the right players and to supplement them with a bit of experience, which we already have in the form of McGinn, Samson, Mackenzie, Eckersley and Flynn, to name just a few.

Let's see how we do before rounding on the manager shall we?

It's a no brainier strategy, I said on the Falkirk thread a few weeks back, non-league English players are better than the ones up here with half the SPFL on their CV.  And they want less money.

Give me a Marley Watkins or a Ross Draper 100 times over a Willow Flood or a Gary Harkins.