The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

The way its going, saints should be moved to the English non league section. Very worried about the way Stubbs sees non league players able to step straight into out Premiership. Shows what he really thinks about our football.

Or else he is bringing in hungry young players who will supplement any experienced players he will bring in. I think he knows what he is doing and unlike most of fans he will have seen these guys actually play. 

8 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

The way its going, saints should be moved to the English non league section. Very worried about the way Stubbs sees non league players able to step straight into out Premiership. Shows what he really thinks about our football.

King is from Bolton, but he was on loan to a non league side last season. 

Dundee, a club with a far bigger budget than ours, have already signed several players from the English non league. I’m not saying it’s ideal but Jamie Vardy was plucked from similar depths (incidentally it’s his academy from which these players have been sought).

Besides, Emmanuel Sonupé played for Spurs and he was beyond terrible.

42 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

2 players for every player on the park Stubbs has said no player will able to think they will play on a Saturday . Personally I'm not worried more excited than anything else. English teams are so big on players from the continent means there has to be good ones about with a population of 50 million.  

39 minutes ago, fraser_smfc said:

Dundee, a club with a far bigger budget than ours, have already signed several players from the English non league. I’m not saying it’s ideal but Jamie Vardy was plucked from similar depths (incidentally it’s his academy from which these players have been sought).

Besides, Emmanuel Sonupé played for Spurs and he was beyond terrible.

I can see that becoming this season's "Kyle Hutton was Queen of the South's player of the year" :lol:

14 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

I guess it comes down to whether you care about winning or the image of your club. Obviously the whole thing is a grey area, and winning is clearly key to our survival, I respect other's opinion on the matter whether I agree with them or not, but I think Stokes is a step too far.

I was referring to your post... 

Not to defend the whole non-league signing policy as I've clearly never seen these players but we brought in the guts of £2m in transfer income off the back of recruiting from non-league. Marvin Johnson (Oxford & sell on to Middlesboro), Ben Heneghan (Sheffield Utd) & Louis Moult (Preston North End). Moult had the added bonus of 50 goals in 98 games.

One of our most consistent players last season (Richard Tait) was signed from Grimsby when they were non-league.

I don't think you can necessarily get away with filling your first XI with non-league players and regardless of what anyone says it's a massive step up to go from that level to the Scottish Premiership. For all we've had success recruiting at that level none of our signings  last summer were from that level. Carson had been relegated with Hartlepool but didn't play any games for them at that level, though either way he's now a Northern Ireland international and one of the best goalkeepers in the league.

It really just depends how good your scouting is. There's tons of utter, utter dross but equally there are players who can make the step up if they're willing to put the work in.

1 hour ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

Caley Thistle signed 8 players from Non League in summer 2013/14, and one from Ireland, finishing 5th in the Premiership that season. I'm not saying we'll do likewise, just that there are good players at that level who can do a job. It's up to the manager to select the right players and to supplement them with a bit of experience, which we already have in the form of McGinn, Samson, Mackenzie, Eckersley and Flynn, to name just a few.

Let's see how we do before rounding on the manager shall we?

So the signings then... I suppose we should be happy it's not the usual Scottish footballer bingo, and these are pretty much unknown guys. I thought at the time that Stubbs must have convinced the board this was the sort of thing he wanted to do; develop youths or bring in players from lower leagues with potential, build them up and sell them on.

The "biggest transfer fee in a couple of decades" line is a bit funny considering it makes it sound impressive when in reality it's just £75k. Still this is in the world of critically underfunded Scottish football.

Overall I have to say I'm quite optimistic about these two. Can't wait for the pre-season now we have Stubbs in place and the signings are starting to roll in.

16 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Caley Thistle signed 8 players from Non League in summer 2013/14, and one from Ireland, finishing 5th in the Premiership that season. I'm not saying we'll do likewise, just that there are good players at that level who can do a job. It's up to the manager to select the right players and to supplement them with a bit of experience, which we already have in the form of McGinn, Samson, Mackenzie, Eckersley and Flynn, to name just a few.

Let's see how we do before rounding on the manager shall we?

If you look at Motherwell, they tend to sign players from that level or slightly above, develop them and sell them on for a profit. They might not be amazing right away but they seem to attract interest from clubs down south who can pay decent fees. I don't imagine they'll be too expensive wage wise either.

Edited by Kyle

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

If you look at Motherwell, they tend to sign players from that level or slightly above, develop them and sell them on for a profit. They might not be amazing right away but they seem to attract interest from clubs down south who can pay decent fees.

They might be rubbish but equally they might turn a decent profit if they're good. I don't imagine they'll be too expensive either.

It's a good strategy, one which clubs of our size should look at, in addition to having a good youth academy. I want players who see us a potential route to bigger things, not players who think they've made it when they arrive.