The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

If Stubbs signs Stokes, I won't be going to games. It's pretty much as simple as that.

I don't think he will though, so that threat is probably fairly empty.

I'd be extremely unhappy with his presence in the squad but I wouldn't stop going to games. 

5 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

If Stubbs signs Stokes, I won't be going to games. It's pretty much as simple as that.

He's one of those players who could end up anywhere! Dundee , Motherwell etc and put us to the sword. For that reason , I would probably take him !

10 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

A proven goal scorer in Scotland , a halfwit but a proven goal scorer. 

8 minutes ago, billyg said:

He's one of those players who could end up anywhere! Dundee , Motherwell etc and put us to the sword. For that reason , I would probably take him !

Yep. Much as I'd prefer us to have someone else, just as good or better, for footballing reasons I'd rather have him playing for us than one of our direct rivals if possible. 

18 minutes ago, Munoz said:

He was mostly dreadful for us last season before he got punted. If he’s fit and motivated he’ll bang goals in, but he’s rarely either of those things these days. I love Stokes but he’s not worth the trouble he brings.

Edit: Just checked and he scored more goals last season than i’d remembered. 7 league goals in 18 games. He caused massive division in our dressing room though and rarely trained or turned up on time. We were a much better side when we replaced him and Murray. 

Edited by Zing.

The guy is a religious bigot. I have no truck with religious bigots. I'll say it again, if Stokes signs the club gets none of my money. I refuse to fund a bigot.

This might sound melodramatic, there is very little chance he will sign for us, but that is my immutable position.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

...but I wouldn't stop going to games. 

1 hour ago, billyg said:

For that reason , I would probably take him !

1 hour ago, Munoz said:

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

...for footballing reasons I'd rather have him playing for us than one of our direct rivals if possible. 

Lads, I mean this in the nicest possible way, but that's just being a Patsy to his religious bigotry. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but there has to be a line drawn. If we allow him, how about bringing in Goodwillie. After all, he's a proven goalscorer... etc, etc... do we stop there or maybe ask Graham Rix to be our assistant manager or bring back Craig Thompson from Lithuania?

All these are clearly tongue in cheek. I understand the opinions you have, I just don't think they are justifiable.

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Lads, I mean this in the nicest possible way, but that's just being a Patsy to his religious bigotry. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but there has to be a line drawn. If we allow him, how about bringing in Goodwillie. After all, he's a proven goalscorer... etc, etc... do we stop there or maybe ask Graham Rix to be our assistant manager or bring back Craig Thompson from Lithuania?

All these are clearly tongue in cheek. I understand the opinions you have, I just don't think they are justifiable.

Right, discecting this a bit.

Stokes' dad is a complete arsehole but I'm not aware of Stokes himself actually being done with any Sectarian offences...of course, it's obvious thought that he is into that pish.

I'm not sure he can fall into the same category as Goodwillie and Thomson. Much closer to say, a Paul McGowan or Kirk Broadfoot....both of whom I have fond memories of in a Saints shirt despite their own obvious baggage.

Stokes' main issue isn't that he's a bigot, it's that he's a fucking idiot with a disruptive and destructive streak that if not managed properly, could derail everything. I'm definitely not keen on bringing him in as I feel he's probably too much of a risk but I can understand the reasoning behind a club like us taking a punt.

I see Adam Rooney is linked with leaving Aberdeen though....then you'd be talking!

I can see why my response will be seen as *autistic_screeching* by some. I obviously don't see it like that, but it's all just tomorrow's chip wrappers until anything more credible happens.

In all honesty I don't think he'd be a good addition even without his "baggage".

2 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

The guy is a religious bigot. I have no truck with religious bigots. I'll say it again, if Stokes signs the club gets none of my money. I refuse to fund a bigot.

This might sound melodramatic, there is very little chance he will sign for us, but that is my immutable position.

Oh dear ,  nobody is bigger than St Mirren  he might be a hard player to manage. As for bigot I have seen nothing to suggest that certainly never offended me then again no religios fanatics do I'm a humanist. 

I'm a bit disappointed that Reilly is away, did us a good turn last year and I think he deserved a chance in the Premiership.  I'm assuming Stubbs has a couple of strikers lined up as it seems strange to withdraw the contract offer without having seen the guy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn up at maybe Livingston or Hamilton. Good luck to the guy anyway, hopefully he doesn't put us to the sword at some point.

I liked Reilly, he put himself about and scored some decent goals for us. I think since Mullen came in he offered us a better option up front. Reilly would’ve been decent backup but I’m not too cut up about him going. I don’t think Mullen will have any issues making the step up - he’s a top 6 striker no doubt.

FYI... craig thomson played for edinburgh city last season

You will forgive me for not following his career, but I tell you what have a greenie just for the info anyway.

My pleasure. I only know because i had the pleasure of calling him a wee paedo at links park