The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/947-david-clarkson-on-the-road-to-recovery

Nice wee piece on Clarkson. 

Think both we and he himself know he's finished as a player at the club but it's good to see we've kept him in gainful employment through his injury and are utilising him in a few other capacities, giving him the opportunity to progress his career with one eye on his path after his playing days are up.

9 hours ago, Lex said:

Ach he might turn out to be fine.  We've just been burned several times over the past few years from signing players who were good for a part time club and couldn't do it for us.  Scott Agnew being one example.

Most don't make it but some do, hopefully Buchanan is one of the few.

Don't think Agnew was a disaster, but not great.

5 hours ago, Lex said:

Take it you're not a fan of him...? :lol:

Few things here.  You say he didn't score against any of the top teams, he scored against Morton and Dundee Utd, 2 of the top 4.  Aswell as scoring against Dundee in the cup, but you don't seem to want to count his cup goals.

You're giving Stelios credit for winning us points in the Morton game at Cappielow at the end of the season but not Sutton.  Both of them scored once in that game...

13 goals ain't a bad return for someone who was used so sparingly.   The only strikers who've scored more than that for us in a season in recent times  have been Higdon and Thommo.  Play him every week and he will score 15 - 20 goals next season.

I am referring to what was most import last season and this season - League games and League goals. I am not including scoring against diddy teams like Albion Rovers and Spartans when what we needed was League goals. I gave Stelios credit for the Morton game, as like the Ayr game, the first goal was always going to be crucial. Stelios set us on our way against Morton and Sutton against Ayr. Sutton scored against Morton when the game was already won. We need a goalscorer who gets us points when the chips are down and Sutton does not earn us anywhere near enough points.

And 'used sparingly'? When did 33 appearances be classed as 'sparingly'. Loy scored 5 from 11 games - a third less games than Sutton but only 2 goals less - that is 'sparingly'. Walsh, Hardie had far better scoring ratios than Sutton. He was the main striker for the season yet Mallan in midfield scored more. Morgan is a winger and scored 6 League goals. Sutton doesn't take penalties because he misses them. Defenders like MacKenzie and Stelios earned us as many points as Sutton did.

When we need single goal winners; first goals to get us on our way then Sutton does not do that. There is he-haw evidence that Sutton could score 15-20 league goals in a season - its your wishing thinking and not based on evidence. 7 league goals in 33 games is not good enough for your main striker.

As much as I don't think Sutton should be our first choice striker, I think folk are being slightly harsh on him. He was feeding off absolute shite for the first half of the season, and most of the time was playing up front on his own with balls being pumped long to him or for him to chase aimlessly down channel (clearly not his strong point). It's clear Ross likes to play with pace, and clearly Sutton does not have that attribute.

He is still however a very good option to have coming off the bench, and offers us something different should we need to go route one / direct

Keith Watsons been left out our Euro Squad as we try and get him sold. If you lot could come in and take him off our books it would be much appreciated

According to the BBC we are signing Dale Hilson, I know very little about this guy other than he was at QOS and had a couple of bad injuries. He's been on trial for Jack to have a look at the past few weeks and some reports saying he knocked back a deal with Dumbarton to sign for us.

So this guy is on the SMISA committee, and tweeted the following, when someone asked if Hilson signing meant we weren't getting Loy...

Now, I may be reading too much into this, but my inference there is that he's pointing out Hilson is a wide player specifically because Loy may still be coming.

EDIT: forget that. It's more likely to be to do with Lewis Morgan probably moving along - ie Hilson is a replacement for Morgan, and that's what the tweeter below is 'knowingly' commenting on. Ballsacks!

GFTlANS.png

Edited by Coventry Saint

8 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

According to the BBC we are signing Dale Hilson, I know very little about this guy other than he was at QOS and had a couple of bad injuries. He's been on trial for Jack to have a look at the past few weeks and some reports saying he knocked back a deal with Dumbarton to sign for us.

Great signing for you if, a big if, he stays injury free. He's missed long spells of two seasons he was at Queens with injury.  Good on the deck with the ball at his feet, got a bit of pace and likes to be direct going for goal. Can play wide or through the middle. Personally I would have taken a gamble on him and re-signed him down here.

22 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

EDIT: forget that. It's more likely to be to do with Lewis Morgan probably moving along - ie Hilson is a replacement for Morgan, and that's what the tweeter below is 'knowingly' commenting on. Ballsacks!

Morgan going would be a big blow to this season. Losing creative players like Mallan, Morgan and McAllister within a short window would be very difficult for Jack to replace. 

27 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Great signing for you if, a big if, he stays injury free. He's missed long spells of two seasons he was at Queens with injury.  Good on the deck with the ball at his feet, got a bit of pace and likes to be direct going for goal. Can play wide or through the middle. Personally I would have taken a gamble on him and re-signed him down here.

Is he the lad who tore us a brand new one in the game at Paisley, when Queens won 3-0? He looked a very decent player that day playing a wide role.

15 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Is he the lad who tore us a brand new one in the game at Paisley, when Queens won 3-0? He looked a very decent player that day playing a wide role.

Hilson certainly had a good game in the first meeting in Paisley last season. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs