The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

15 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I wish Gregor Buchanan all the best in his move to St. Mirren.

I'd hoped we would manage to keep ahold of him, but he was excellent for us last season overall and I don't begrudge it when a player like him makes the step up.

He's athletic, strong, pretty quick for a centre half and defying his age, he's very adept organisationally and positionally. I don't doubt he'll be a real asset to what's becoming a really decent sounding squad Jack Ross is building with you guys.

I went onto Wiki to have a look thinking he was about 33 based on this comment.

He's only 27, of all the defying factors for pace, age shouldn't be one at 27! :P

I went onto Wiki to have a look thinking he was about 33 based on this comment.

He's only 27, of all the defying factors for pace, age shouldn't be one at 27! [emoji14]

Maybe I worded it wrongly, but my 'defying his age' comment was in relation to the fact he's very good organisationally and positionally, not in relation to his pace. Apologies![emoji23]

21 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

Maybe I'm missing something but what exactly is great about St.Mirren's signings? Reasonable signings, yes. I wouldn't say they were exactly mind-blowing signings.

I think that's fair, but it does feel like we're building a squad at the moment. The signings this week should complement and hopefully compete with the guaranteed starters we already have.

I'll be disappointed if we don't add some real proven quality still. Rory Loy and Stelios would be ideal, plus maybe one or two surprises.

35 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

Maybe I'm missing something but what exactly is great about St.Mirren's signings? Reasonable signings, yes. I wouldn't say they were exactly mind-blowing signings.

Cammy Smith is a great signing and would be for most clubs at this level. Apart from that, we seem to have gone for what will be perceived as the squad players first.

However, as squad players go, you can't really say much fairer than what we've gone for, a few younger lads mixed with guys who will hopefully fill spaces adequately if and when needed. These guys are good early signings as it's definitely squad building in a good way. The experienced players are generally those we need to wait a bit longer for and I'm assuming that's what Jack is doing.

Several have said that the signing of Buchanan ends our interest in Harry Davis but I wouldn't be so sure...once Webster and Gordon are finally officially confirmed as gone, we'll have Baird, MacKenzie and Buchanan with Whyte who is defensive mid/centre half but has yet to taste significant first team action. I don't think Jack Ross will go with a squad of only three bonafide centre halves and I hope (really hope) that Buchanan is being brought in to alleviate some of the pressure of signing an already injured (albeit ready in August/September) Harry Davis.

Regardless, I still think there's space in the squad for another centre half.

There will almost certainly be another Goalkeeper, centre back, full back (Stelios pending), naturally right sided wide player and two forwards coming in. There's still plenty of scope for real, established proven quality.

1 hour ago, Tri-TON said:

Who said they were mind blowing signings, plenty of roasters on here laughed at Jack's Jan window signings, but how we laughed when those ten players became the form team in the championship going on to perform one THE great escapes.

1 hour ago, Tri-TON said:

Take your point and agree with the above posters but under Rae we hardly had a starting 11 never mind reasonable players that could come off the bench to help out. A poor pool and little choice for first picks. JR assembled a squad of players that gave us options and confidence from those on the bench, but many were temporary on short-term contracts and loan players leaving us with another rebuilding job.

So far we have lost the loan players, all short-term contracts are now null and void and four from the first team squad that were being paid but not even making up the numbers have left.  More of the latter are expected to leave.

Signing Eckersley, MacKenzie and Smith is a bit of a coup as all three could easily have been off elsewhere and Smith and MacKenzie allegedly had other offers besides us. Magennis at 18 is looking like an outstanding talent and with only a year left on his contract he may have been subject to a move but he signed a new contract keeping him with us until 2020. Again great news. We have signed three others  - Kirkpatrick, Stewart, and Stewart  from Div 1 -  who were all standouts in their League. Time will tell if they can take the step up to the Championship. And Buchanan was outstanding for Dumbarton last season.

But you are right they may not appear mind-blowing. However more experienced signings are expected and the 4 we have signed this week appear eager and hungry to take on full-time football from part-time. The squad is nowhere complete as yet but JR's philosophy - young guys with loads of energy and a winning mentality and a 90min workrate - is a huge improvement from Rae's over the hill pros looking for a last payday and Rangers' loanees who did not give a shit.

It may all go tits up but most supporters are a lot happier at the way the squad is being assembled and its still only May. Rae was still trying to find players in August last season.

Edited by NorthBank

Pretty happy with the signings so far. The guys making the step up to FT are low risk high reward.

Hopefully a fairly settled squad early on, will increase the likelihood of us having a strong start to the season.

Quite a turnaround in how we seem to be doing our business compare to previous years. Hopefully it pays off.

33 minutes ago, forzapars said:

"Gavin Reilly" *shudder*
1 league goal last season, good luck with that

Reilly struggled badly with Dunfermline but he had a respectable record at QotS a couple of years ago that suggests he knows his way to goal. 

Why did it go so wrong at Dunfermline? 

Reilly struggled badly with Dunfermline but he had a respectable record at QotS a couple of years ago that suggests he knows his way to goal. 
Why did it go so wrong at Dunfermline? 

His head never really seemed to be in it, his attitude in terms of looking like he wanted to play and do well never came across all season. He scored a great goal at Easter Road for us and followed it up with a decent finish at Brechin a few weeks later, then it all fell apart for him. Saying that, you see it a lot with players when they go to one club and it doesn't work out and then their next club they're right at it and playing some of their best football. I personally wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if you lot signed Reilly in the summer, but it could easily come back to haunt us as he could come up with a similar season to the one he had at QOTS just a few years back.

4 minutes ago, forzapars said:

His head never really seemed to be in it, his attitude in terms of looking like he wanted to play and do well never came across all season. He scored a great goal at Easter Road for us and followed it up with a decent finish at Brechin a few weeks later, then it all fell apart for him. Saying that, you see it a lot with players when they go to one club and it doesn't work out and then their next club they're right at it and playing some of their best football. I personally wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if you lot signed Reilly in the summer, but it could easily come back to haunt us as he could come up with a similar season to the one he had at QOTS just a few years back.

The sounds eerily similar to Ryan Hardie in his spell with us. He just seemed to be giving about 30% when we knew there was a player there somewhere. Some players just don't click with a club they're at for whatever reason. 

Usually we're the club where guys who have extensive scoring records come to end that run and turn in an awful return on goals. Hopefully if we do see Reilly in, we'll be on the beneficial end for once. 

The sounds eerily similar to Ryan Hardie in his spell with us. He just seemed to be giving about 30% when we knew there was a player there somewhere. Some players just don't click with a club they're at for whatever reason. 
Usually we're the club where guys who have extensive scoring records come to end that run and turn in an awful return on goals. Hopefully if we do see Reilly in, we'll be on the beneficial end for once. 

I could definitely see it happening and it sounds like (going by the rumour above) that it's quite likely to be either him or Loy to sign for you lot next season. It's one that could go either way, but certainly not one that I can see many fans losing any sleep over. Except Hawk, a.k.a Gavin Reilly himself.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Wont be the first player to have lost his way in the game but then finds a manager who knows how to get the best out of him.