The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, buddie06smfc said:

If you were given the opportunity to move from part time to full time in your field of work, would you do so at the first opportunity?

I wouldn't grudge him a move to a league above but it's hilarious all the same to watch these Dundee punters get so worked up.

They went public with their pathetic pursuit of Mallan, let's hope this has a similar outcome.

To be fair, Dundee haven't gone public. One paper has announced it openly, without foundation and the bookies have seen Ross backed down to 3/1 off the back of it. They suspended betting late last night. Not because Jack is going but because McBookie are shitebags. They did the exact same thing when it looked like we'd tied up Billy Davies. 

Reality is that our chairman won't give Dundee the go ahead to speak to Jack Ross and that will hopefully be the end of it. 

Jack will go eventually. No one is under any illusions and from there we will rebuild like we always do. I'd genuinely hope it's going to be for a bigger club than Dundee though, who whilst a step ahead of us at the moment have spent most of the last 20 years swapping league positions with us.

Aberdeen potentially losing McInnes worries me more than Dundee. 

3 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

If you were given the opportunity to move from part time to full time in your field of work, would you do so at the first opportunity?

I wouldn't grudge him a move to a league above but it's hilarious all the same to watch these Dundee punters get so worked up.

They went public with their pathetic pursuit of Mallan, let's hope this has a similar outcome.

Pretty sure Ross himself was full-time at Alloa, albeit the players were obviously part-time. My hope at the time was that he had built his own team, had them absolutely flying and that staying for a full season and winning the league would put him in a strong position for moving on. Taking on a St Mirren side in a mess at the bottom of the league had the potential to damage his reputation. But he clearly had no doubts when the opportunity arose.

There are probably more reasons to stay with St Mirren than there were for staying at Alloa, but the guy is clearly very ambitious and would believe he could do a good job at Dundee. Wouldn't be surprised if he moved on. 

Jim Goodwin has had some experience now, surely the perfect man to take over at St Mirren if Jack moves on.

If it's any consolation St Mirren fans, the Tele don't have a clue who we are after and have likely plucked Ross's name from a list. If we are interested, it's entirely coincidental and the news broken today won't have been a leak from our side as no one had heard about McCann until he was appointed.

Sounds about right. I always think papers and bookies just pick managers' names at random when a job comes up, with no actual substance. The bookies do it to make money.

I'm not saying Dundee aren't, or wouldn't be, interested in Ross, but the the rumour came out almost immediately after McCann walked away from talks.

I'd be surprised if there was anything in this at the moment.

Someone on B&W saying Dundee have made an approach, and that JR has a very low buyout clause.

I'll be gutted if he goes, but that's football, and he's already earned a go at the top flight, IMO.

Our chairman has a 100% record for appointing amazing managers, so I trust him to do it again should the need arise.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Someone on B&W saying Dundee have made an approach, and that JR has a very low buyout clause.

I'll be gutted if he goes, but that's football, and he's already earned a go at the top flight, IMO.

Our chairman has a 100% record for appointing amazing managers, so I trust him to do it again should the need arise.

That was a story carried by the Sun and it's a blatant lie, absolute garbage he has no buy out clause written into his contract.

6 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Why would he stay to have a stab at promotion when he could just skip the risk of ballsing it up and jump straight into the Premiership with us?

Shite analogy, but sometimes people like to build the Lego model themselves, rather than just play with the assembled set. 

There's no question most of us are posting out of hope and blind faith here, but I think we're clinging on to the idea that he has created a real bond between the supporters and the club here. Of course he might do that at Dundee as well, or he might guide you to a couple of 8th-placed finishes, get binned, and never get the 'big' move he craves. 

I'm not having a go at Dundee here, becasue we have killed off more managers' careers than probably any other club, but Paul Hartley was basically Jack Ross a few seasons ago. Tipped for big things. He did amazing things for you, but probably stayed too long and now doesn't seem to be getting linked with anything. Rewind, say, two years, you could well have seen PH being linked with a vacant job at Aberdeen, for example. 

Of course, and I'm talking round in circles here, perhaps JR's ambition is such that that would never happen. Perhaps he'd use Dundee's decent budget to achieve quickly in a short space of time, and then move on just as you've started to love him...

(I know Hartley hates us, but I'd take him at SMP if it came down to it... :whistle )

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

I probably would but that's got hee-haw to do with my point. He was at Alloa saying his aim was to get them back into the Championship and had them flying. He then jumped ship as soon as a bigger club came in. Moral of the story here is that it matters not a f**k what a manager has said in the past, if they think it's the best move for them then they'll move. If fans want to believe Jack Ross is a man of principles and will turn down moves to stay and "see this through" then wire in, it's false though.

31 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

That was a story carried by the Sun and it's a blatant lie, absolute garbage he has no buy out clause written into his contract.

#DontBuyTheSun

#DontReadTheSun

They lie consistently, as well as all their other heinous activities.

37 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Surely almost every manager would have some form of buy out clause, especially when signing a longer term deal (which seems to be somewhat uncommon now)?

The £20k figure being banded about seems ridiculous however. I don't think we'll appoint Ross, the club seem to be good at keeping everything under wraps nowadays. Nobody knew it was McCann until about 5 minutes before he was announced, so I reckon this is baseless paper speculation. 

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

^^^ shiting it

11 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Sorry but you really do write some nonsense at times. Have Dundee a new stadium , no. Have Dundee got a training ground academy, no. Yes Dundee are in the top league , yes they can pull a bigger crowd. However their squad needs over hauled. Ross has over hauled our squad already with just a few tweaks needed now. This still in the month of May. Add the fact players have signed simply because Jack Ross is manager in their own words. Ross is a man of principles I don't see him leaving . Saints gates have grown the public have bought into Ross and Jack knows this. Jack is not your run of the mill manager who will move at every turn he will stay I'm sure. ( hope ) 

:lol: fair dos.

Dundee are at least 12 months ahead of us, and  thats only if we were to be promoted and they were to be relegated by next summer. They are a bigger attraction just now. When we were in the top flight and Falkirk were in this league, would we have said back then Falkirk was a more attractive job than the Saints job? Of course not. Off the pitch we might have better facilities but on it Dundee are ahead unfortunately.

Do we know for sure he won't jump at the first opportunity? He done the same with Alloa, albeit that was from a part time club to a full time club, still jumped at the first chance.

As I said this is all looking at it from the worst case scenario, I think we should have at least slight concerns that he could be tempted by this job.

Regardless of whether he goes or not, arguing that he wouldn't move to Dundee because they have a lot of players under contract and their squads needs overhauled is a weird line to take. The whole basis of his success this season was managing to overhaul a relegation-bound squad in January when no one gave you a chance of staying up, surely the prospect of having a whole summer transfer window to rebuild a side with probably the sixth best budget in the country isn't going to faze him?

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Regardless of whether he goes or not, arguing that he wouldn't move to Dundee because they have a lot of players under contract and their squads needs overhauled is a weird line to take. The whole basis of his success this season was managing to overhaul a relegation-bound squad in January when no one gave you a chance of staying up, surely the prospect of having a whole summer transfer window to rebuild a side with probably the sixth best budget in the country isn't going to faze him?

We're clutching at straws and speculating. The f**k do you want from us? :lol:

I have waves of being convinced he'll go, then I'll read someone being confident he'll stay and I'm calm again. Fact is, nobody knows anything until he confirms he's going or staying. It's never simple being a fan of a diddy club though, is it? We spend years having undesirable managers and complaining, then as soon as we get a decent one, the 'he'll get poached' paranoia sets in. Shit all round!