The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I struggle to put into word how underwhelming that sounds.

22 years old, been on loan at League two level and not scored goals. Fucking hell, why are we wasting our time with this level of jobber?

Why don't you e. Mail the club and ask I am sure someone will tell you. For what it's worth I agree with you. 

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

22 years old, been on loan at League two level and not scored goals. Fucking hell, why are we wasting our time with this level of jobber?

Totally agree. Is this what the months of hard work behind the scenes has resulted in ?

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

At least you're having a look before jumping in with both feet. If he's as pish as his record suggests, I'm sure he'll be sent packing.

Totally agree. Is this what the months of hard work behind the scenes has resulted in ?

Let’s remember it’s The Sun who are reporting this before we jump in with both feet and criticise the club.

I was at the Q&A night and by the sounds of things, the new system for scouting players sounds very good.

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

At least you're having a look before jumping in with both feet. If he's as pish as his record suggests, I'm sure he'll be sent packing.

Absolutely not the point bud.

We were told a few months ago that recruitment is going to be very different going forward. Minimum of 3 sets of eyes on players, all bases covered....all targets fully scouted.

Now it seems to be the same old pish. 'He wants a trial? Aye might as well have a squint I suppose'.

23 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We were told a few months ago that recruitment is going to be very different going forward. Minimum of 3 sets of eyes on players, all bases covered....all targets fully scouted.

Now it seems to be the same old pish. 'He wants a trial? Aye might as well have a squint I suppose'.

Unless of course the trial is so the "third" pair of eyes gets a look...….for what it's worth I'm not too excited by the prospect of him signing but then again I've never seen him play

57 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah, this. The random trialist who rocks up half way through the transfer window when it appears other targets might not be panning out approach is a well-worn and not successful path.

26 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

:lol:

Replace almost word for word with the following: Josh Heaton. Everton. Middlesbrough. 

I HATE being negative, especially when it seems like they have been very proactive this window in trying to get folk in and I've never seen the lad play but this just seems like a such a well trodden and unsuccessful path.

I suppose I genuinely hoped we were going to try something a wee bit different so to see a guy rock up on trial whose career so far has all the hallmarks of a Jeff King or Cole Kpekawa is fucking soul destroying. 

Edited by djchapsticks

The thing is you don't always get what you want. As far as I am aware we have signed 4 players who were targeted which is pretty decent. You want a player and them wanting you are two different things. Maybe the Slovaks' families did not want to move to Scotland; maybe they got better offers; maybe there are injury concerns; maybe they are house hunting right now. Once you have ran through all your targets you have then to consider some that weren't originally in the frame and some than just suddenly became available. Let's chill and see what happens.

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:20, DumbartonBud said:

I don’t know what has happened between his time at Falkirk where he looked good and being with us where he was as poor a keeper as I’ve seen for a long time. 

When he was fit both Samson and Lyness were getting picked ahead of him. 

Lyness looked ok for us unless Hladky is good I’m disappointed to lose him. Story’s doing the rounds that we haven’t been able to send Rogers back otherwise we would have. 

Rogers was tremendous for us in his first season, as he was for Dumbarton the year before.

In his second spell with us he did noticeably decline though, and ironically lost his place to Robbie Thomson.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

:lol:

Replace almost word for word with the following: Josh Heaton. Everton. Middlesbrough. 

I HATE being negative, especially when it seems like they have been very proactive this window in trying to get folk in and I've never seen the lad play but this just seems like a such a well trodden and unsuccessful path.

I suppose I genuinely hoped we were going to try something a wee bit different so to see a guy rock up on trial whose career so far has all the hallmarks of a Jeff King or Cole Kpekawa is fucking soul destroying. 

I don't get excited of any signings unless I know them. The player has a good agent 10 out of 10 on the PR front. Another way of looking at it if he was a goal machine he would not be on trial. We are the second lowest wages in the premiership while money does not guarantee success but it does put you in a better position to sign players.