The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

28 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Don't want to sound pessimistic, but just copy and paste last season's one, it'll end up being a similar score/performance.

I think the last time we played well at Pittodrie, Ricky Gillies was in the stripes.

Erm?? League Cup Quarter Final in 2012-13? Don't think Ricky played in that one

2-1 win to stay up in the Danny Lennon years Gareth Wardlaw?

30 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Don't want to sound pessimistic, but just copy and paste last season's one, it'll end up being a similar score/performance.

I think the last time we played well at Pittodrie, Ricky Gillies was in the stripes.

I'm going for a Saints win mate with the big Dane first and Mullen second 1- 2 Saints. 

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Erm?? League Cup Quarter Final in 2012-13? Don't think Ricky played in that one

2-1 win to stay up in the Danny Lennon years Gareth Wardlaw?

Got to say, I'm not sure you can claim we played well that night - although perhaps I am being unfair. Two lucky goals and a Samson penalty shoot-out masterclass is my recollection.

Perhaps you are right, and we've had decent performances since the mid 2000s but we've certainly not had enough of them.

I suspect a few will go out on loan, mainly youngsters. However, Stubbs wants competition for every place, which suggests at least 22 in the first team squad, bolstered by some kids. I'm pleased that we're starting to see a squad materialise, and I think had the manager been in place from the end of last season it may have been largely in place a lot sooner and be more settled.

Completely agree. I think you’ve been the voice of reason thus far. I’m not concerned by the apparent lack of experience of Stubbs’ signings. Every signing is a gamble whether they’ve played 3 games or 300 games. Stubbs hasn’t been given a fair chance and people are looking to jump on every little thing he has done. I think the players has told can go and has already let go have been good decisions.
Better understanding between the defence and we can push on.
We were in limbo for a few weeks while Jack Ross spoke to every club in the land and Stubbs got up to speed with the squad that remained. No reason to be concerned with the squad not yet finished.

2 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Got to say, I'm not sure you can claim we played well that night - although perhaps I am being unfair. Two lucky goals and a Samson penalty shoot-out masterclass is my recollection.

Perhaps you are right, and we've had decent performances since the mid 2000s but we've certainly not had enough of them.

Not too many people would describe Kenny McLeans goal that night as "lucky" . As for the result , we totally deserved to go through and should have won it in 90mins.

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Completely agree. I think you’ve been the voice of reason thus far. I’m not concerned by the apparent lack of experience of Stubbs’ signings. Every signing is a gamble whether they’ve played 3 games or 300 games. Stubbs hasn’t been given a fair chance and people are looking to jump on every little thing he has done. I think the players has told can go and has already let go have been good decisions.
Better understanding between the defence and we can push on.
We were in limbo for a few weeks while Jack Ross spoke to every club in the land and Stubbs got up to speed with the squad that remained. No reason to be concerned with the squad not yet finished.

People aren't even just jumping on things he's done, there are people jumping on things he hasn't done or even made any suggestion he is going to do, such as dropping Stephen McGinn. It's been a bit depressing to be honest, there is quite a vocal minority who are absolutely desperate for him to fail.

1 hour ago, Munoz said:

Not too many people would describe Kenny McLeans goal that night as "lucky" . As for the result , we totally deserved to go through and should have won it in 90mins.

You may be remembering it better than I am. I initially thought you were talking about a different game, it's only then it's twigged. I thought our goals came from Parkin and (Josh) Magennis. Actually to be fair I didn't remember it as being Parkin at all until I checked out the report. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20053690

Magennis scored that night alright, just for a different team.

Take your point about performances but we did get the results which in the end is what matters and what should give us confidence

22 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

You may be remembering it better than I am. I initially thought you were talking about a different game, it's only then it's twigged. I thought our goals came from Parkin and (Josh) Magennis. Actually to be fair I didn't remember it as being Parkin at all until I checked out the report. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20053690

Magennis scored that night alright, just for a different team.

To be fair, results and decent performances up there have been few and far between. I've witnessed very few victories at Pittodrie over the years.

13 minutes ago, Danny said:

Take your point about performances but we did get the results which in the end is what matters and what should give us confidence

Fingers crossed, McKenna being out helps but Aberdeen look pretty strong. It'll be interesting to see what our defence makes of Cosgrove. He's a bit of a unit.

24 minutes ago, Munoz said:

To be fair, results and decent performances up there have been few and far between. I've witnessed very few victories at Pittodrie over the years.

1-0 thanks to a Tommy Wilson mishit cross in 1987 is the only victory I can remember being at. It was my 18th birthday too! 

On 15/08/2018 at 17:08, AW saint said:

Its not like a loan player from Scotland. Players from Premiership teams in England are a class above when it gets to the level Alfie is at. As long as he does the business that will do will. Now get another striker and a winger in. 

Emmanuel Sonupe.

1 hour ago, steve55 said:

They are a bit late trawling the forums, this was on Twitter literally half an hour after the game. No media outlet was picking it up then.

So, let's confirm, before our game they stabbed some visiting fans, during our game they bottled children and after our game they clash with Slovenian police. And people wonder why there is a dislike for the club.

Edited by Buddist Monk