The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

McGinn bollocking everyone after five minutes of that Dunfermline game at EEP will stay with me forever. What a guy :wub:

Agreed, he is a real leader, the worry is that without him, we don't have anyone who shows that natural leadership. I think we need to sign an organiser and leader in central defence. Last season we had Davis and Mackenzie, this season it's just young kids. I would say thats just as much a priority as the striking positions.

Think the gaffer is learning the hard way not to overpromise. 

A week on from getting many hopes up, there's still not hide nor hair, nor even real murmurings of these 'exciting signings'. I fully get that Johnston fell through for now and should still happen eventually but:

1) He's a youngster with a decent reputation, not exactly what you'd class as a marquee player though. 

2) 'Signings' was certainly a plural and 'a few' on top of that. Suggesting more than two were imminent. 

We all love a bit of speculation as its great fun but really, there's no point in opening your mouth and promising something big is about to happen until the ink is dry. 

54 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

See folk on BAWA saying Stokes has signed for a club in Iran along with Harry Forrester. 

Glad he finally found his passport. 

Just knock the last letter off that country.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Think the gaffer is learning the hard way not to overpromise. 

A week on from getting many hopes up, there's still not hide nor hair, nor even real murmurings of these 'exciting signings'. I fully get that Johnston fell through for now and should still happen eventually but:

1) He's a youngster with a decent reputation, not exactly what you'd class as a marquee player though. 

2) 'Signings' was certainly a plural and 'a few' on top of that. Suggesting more than two were imminent. 

We all love a bit of speculation as its great fun but really, there's no point in opening your mouth and promising something big is about to happen until the ink is dry. 

I can't imagine Johnston was the marquee signing he was talking about.

If he was I'd be very worried, but I'm sure whoever he was talking about there, it was someone else.

3 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Makes you wonder if we are counting our chicks before they have hatched,, McGinn. 

You definitely have. Hibs are seemingly willing to let him leave next Summer as they believe the money they'll make this season with him, will be more than any transfer fee they'll receive once they've handed over your cut. 

Be a shame if your entire Summer business was based on a transfer that doesn't even involve you. 

Would love Stokes to be off the radar, but knowing him he'll be kicked out of the club within 6 months and we'll be discussing him coming to us in the January window - the debate then will centre purely on where we are in the league at the time.

As for Stubbs, I've said it already, I think he painted himself into a bit of a corner with the term "marquee". If anything, it wasn't even him who first suggested the word he just went with it when asked (BT Sports I think). I've got a feeling he thought Stokes and Johnston were both coming, but they fell through, and certainly Johnston could be considered "exciting" rather than "marquee".

It's all guesswork, of course, and it's a waiting game in regard to the McGinn money.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You definitely have. Hibs are seemingly willing to let him leave next Summer as they believe the money they'll make this season with him, will be more than any transfer fee they'll receive once they've handed over your cut. 

Be a shame if your entire Summer business was based on a transfer that doesn't even involve you. 

Indeed it would be, but fortunately it isn't.:)

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bit of a daft comment as we've already brought in players, and there is money to bring more in. The only difference the McGinn money will make is the quality of the player we bring in, not the quantity.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can't blame them. Their cut of £1.75 million or a player like John Mcginn for next season. No contest IMO 

18 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Someone on twitter saying that we have Martin Patterson ex Stoke and Burnley forward on trial.

Marquee indeed.

Stubbs has shot himself in the foot with that interview he done after the killie game.

Would love Stokes to be off the radar, but knowing him he'll be kicked out of the club within 6 months and we'll be discussing him coming to us in the January window - the debate then will centre purely on where we are in the league at the time.
As for Stubbs, I've said it already, I think he painted himself into a bit of a corner with the term "marquee". If anything, it wasn't even him who first suggested the word he just went with it when asked (BT Sports I think). I've got a feeling he thought Stokes and Johnston were both coming, but they fell through, and certainly Johnston could be considered "exciting" rather than "marquee".
It's all guesswork, of course, and it's a waiting game in regard to the McGinn money.

I've seen a few rumours this summer, if Hibs sold McGinn we'd be using the money to fill in a corner of the stadium with an office block and other facilities.

Would be quite school boy and very much like the old StMirren to do what you said though.

I reckon McGinn will still leave Hibs this summer, just a guess though.

22 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Looking back at his career he is hardly prolific and is injury prone. Just our type of player.

Looks like he's been passed about like a scud book around teams as well fits the bill

6 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

He must be regretting those comments now. We definitely need 4 or 5 quality players on board.

I think we all regret it.  we are well short of players he said he wanted 2 for each position as well.  that's just not going to happen there will be no marque signing we'll pick up more loans of English youngsters.  I'm obviously going with the old st mirren doom and gloom comments but we need players in to make a difference asap.  or we'll be in trouble