The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

57 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

No one covered themselves in glory from that starting XI last night. Stephen McGinn and Ross Stewart were the two who seemed to change things about with their presence. 

Didn't see the game, but doesn't sound good about Kellerman and Cooke, in particular. Then again, were they any worse than, say McShane, Flynn or Smith? Sometimes teams are just collectively rubbish and games at this time of year absolutely should be about figuring out what's needed, who fits and who doesn't.

It is the flaw in the system that we've not been able to play any proper friendlies and get this shite out our system*. I saw enough promise on Friday to suggest it's not completely beyond hope. Plus, makes me wonder if we all underrate the work that Danny Mullen does.

*Then again, you see what Motherwell did last night and realise that sometimes it really is straightforward to beat the smaller teams.

Plus, makes me wonder if we all underrate the work that Danny Mullen does.

Most do. Think it was very evident last season just how much Mullen works up front and is a good player technically. I couldn’t believe anyone was questioning him after the Killie game, he had a very good game.

20 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

While I agree that we won't just take McGinn's money and spunk it away, but if there is to be a marquee signing they'll need to be paid more than buttons. Speculate to accumulate!

Surely much better to hire a bunch of nigerian phone scammers and hook in another Hamilton type deal - profit margin and fun factor much better :thumsup2

21 hours ago, Silvio said:

Does anyone else think Mikey Johnstone has a touch of the Ryan Hardie's about him? 

I mean, what has he done apart from being a 'promising old firm youngster?

He's looked useful in youth internationals (e.g. the goal v England in Toulon). I don't think that could honestly be said about Hardie.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

*Then again, you see what Motherwell did last night and realise that sometimes it really is straightforward to beat the smaller teams.

Sometimes is but we've had issues with it in the past, esp when we shake team up. Teams that sit deep, don't let us play always seem to cause us difficulties. 

We hell of a stuggled past East Kilbride last year at home and Brechin twice. Raith beat us fair and square too.  

I don’t think that there is there any doubt that these games are basically pre season efforts. Having said that the early signs are not encouraging. We need at least 5 decent quality signings if we are to compete at this level.

I get the feeling that there are quite a few fans who are not happy with the signing policy so far. 

16 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I get the feeling that there are quite a few fans who are not happy with the signing policy so far. 

That's been the way for every St Mirren season for the last goodness knows how long...? 

If there is anything our fans love, it's a good whinge. We had folk criticising Jack last season too! 

28 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

That's been the way for every St Mirren season for the last goodness knows how long...? 

If there is anything our fans love, it's a good whinge. We had folk criticising Jack last season too! 

I reckon there are more than a few waiting for Stubbs to fail. 

The time for us to judge is when he’s assembled his squad and we’ve reached the first quarter of games. That’s when we’ll have an idea of how things will pan out for the season.

50 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I don’t think that there is there any doubt that these games are basically pre season efforts. Having said that the early signs are not encouraging. We need at least 5 decent quality signings if we are to compete at this level.

One game played well and we get a draw win on penalties. Second game play poor draw win on penalties. Second game we made 6 changes and reports suggest another 5 players to come in we will be fine. St Mirren fans are a shaky lot simply because we are a up and down team. For me the season can't come quick enough. 

22 minutes ago, McG said:

The winger from Celtic was meant to sign this week I believe but has now been put back 2-3 weeks.

Stubbs knows the squad is nowhere near good enough.

Filling the squad with non league players is a calculated gamble on Stubbs part. Will he be able to sign 4 or 5 decent quality players now that we’re reaching the point where the squad needs to be strengthened before the league starts.

The problem for me last night was not an overall poor display but a lack of a skill set with some players. Some guys can have an off day but you can still see they can read a game, trap and pass and work hard even if it isn't always coming off. However last night some  looked totally devoid of the quality required at this level. Maybe they were nervous or rusty but improvements better be meteoric however for a couple of them I doubt that it will be.

13 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

The problem for me last night was not an overall poor display but a lack of a skill set with some players. Some guys can have an off day but you can still see they can read a game, trap and pass and work hard even if it isn't always coming off. However last night some  looked totally devoid of the quality required at this level. Maybe they were nervous or rusty but improvements better be meteoric however for a couple of them I doubt that it will be.

Yeah, agree with that.

couple of times we showed a lack of game intelligence. At one point, one of our forward players trapped the ball and turned to his right and move the ball back in to midfield. If he’d looked up to his left, Mullen was free and would have went 1-on-1 with the keeper. The entire stadium could see it.

Stokes will score more goals than entire team when he signs and add creativity and cody cooke  will hopefully be out the door before xmas !

Ffs Paul, Cooke has been at the club for a couple of weeks. Get a grip. Once fully fit and playing in a settled team, you can judge him.

From non league English football to the Scottish Premiership is a bit of a Jump in standard, some of these guys like Cook and Kellerman will need game time and a chance to see if they are capable of adjusting. 

League games are where they will stand or fall.