The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Behave FFS.

You honestly think players of a team who are potentially half a dozen games from winning the championship will down tools and chuck it because the manager has left? :lol:

I never said they would chuck it but I would not be surprised if there mindset  was all over the place because of what's gone on .

I'd expect Fowler to move with Jack Ross if I'm honest. I'm sure there was an interview with Fowler where he'd said that when he came to St. Mirren it was because he wanted a number 2 job and not a manager position. That might have changed now though right enough.

Too early to speculate about new managers I think. I'm always skeptical about statements like 'final shortlist of of two', how many times have we been told that an appointment is a definite, only for it not to happen? It's happened with O'Neil to Scotland and McInnes to Rangers in the past couple of months.

16 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I'd expect Fowler to move with Jack Ross if I'm honest. I'm sure there was an interview with Fowler where he'd said that when he came to St. Mirren it was because he wanted a number 2 job and not a manager position. That might have changed now though right enough.

Too early to speculate about new managers I think. I'm always skeptical about statements like 'final shortlist of of two', how many times have we been told that an appointment is a definite, only for it not to happen? It's happened with O'Neil to Scotland and McInnes to Rangers in the past couple of months.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Fowler. He's on the same length of contract as Jack Ross so Barnsley might not be willing to pay the compensation, but then whoever our new manager was would be stuck with him as assistant. Seem to recall John Potter was Ross' first choice as assistant and he may try for him again so Fowler might not get the option of deciding whether or not to move.

If Ross goes (which I think is more likely than not) I'd be quite happy with Fowler getting the job until the end of the season on the basis that he gets it permanently if he gets us over the line. There may be question marks over his managerial ability but he's a far more palatable option than some of the jokers, charlatans and shitehawks currently available.

1 hour ago, elvis said:

Saturday's game is going to be interesting if he's not here how will the players that signed for him feel  this could derail our whole season .

Here's fucking hoping......

This is the only thing that could stop you boys cantering over the finish line, and our only  (very slim) hope of catching you.

We may have a bigger budget etc but in Ross you have something much more valuable; a manager that can dig out result after result,week in week out even when you are playing badly.

If he does go , it will be really interesting to see how the players react.

2 minutes ago, MacArab said:

Here's fucking hoping......

This is the only thing that could stop you boys cantering over the finish line, and our only  (very slim) hope of catching you.

We may have a bigger budget etc but in Ross you have something much more valuable; a manager that can dig out result after result,week in week out even when you are playing badly.

If he does go , it will be really interesting to see how the players react.

I agree with most of what you say, but when we've played badly (Morton and Dunfermline away, Dumbarton at home) we've invariably lost. There aren't many games we've won where we haven't played well, despite the protestations of every team we've turned over.

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Fowler. He's on the same length of contract as Jack Ross so Barnsley might not be willing to pay the compensation, but then whoever our new manager was would be stuck with him as assistant. Seem to recall John Potter was Ross' first choice as assistant and he may try for him again so Fowler might not get the option of deciding whether or not to move.

If Ross goes (which I think is more likely than not) I'd be quite happy with Fowler getting the job until the end of the season on the basis that he gets it permanently if he gets us over the line. There may be question marks over his managerial ability but he's a far more palatable option than some of the jokers, charlatans and shitehawks currently available.

If Fowler doesn't go with him then he should definitely be offered the job.

Gary Monk has apparently thrown his hat in the ring for the Barnsley gig. My gut feeling is that Jack will see out the remainder of the season with Saints, and probably take on a bigger job at the end of the season.

Edited by glenburn bud

3 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

Fowler is a glorified tea boy like most no 2's .If Ross is on his way i want him to take Fowler with him ,and not because i have an issue with him,but because he will be on a hiding to nothing with every decision viewed through tear stained Jack Ross glasses .Fresh start please

I take your point, but whatever we've been doing we've been doing it right. A new manager will bring their own way of training etc, whereas I imagine Fowler would continue where Ross left off. Appointing him until at least the end of the season would be sensible I think.

3 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Jack travelled down there last night was put up in a hotel for an early afternoon interview which ended around 19.15 That' a lot of hours talking make of it what you will I reckon we are looking for a new manager that' my gut feeling. 

If this is true, then whether he gets the job or not, it shows he wants it.

If he's not offered it now,  then it's going to make things potentially harder around the club with everyone knowing he actually wanted to go.

15 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

If this is true, then whether he gets the job or not, it shows he wants it.

If he's not offered it now,  then it's going to make things potentially harder around the club with everyone knowing he actually wanted to go.

That's not true.  I've went to a few job interviews as a firm maybe because I wanted a feel for if I liked a place or not and decided afterwards that it's not for me. Some I was offered, some I wasn't but had made my own mind up already, regardless.  

Even if he has no intentions of going for it, he's at the very least, done Barnsley the courtesy of talking to them. That doesn't  automatically mean he wants away. In any other walk of life,  it'd be  ridiculous to suggest that another company would want to speak to you and offer you a wad more money but you'd reject them out of hand without at least hearing them out and meeting them to have a chat. No one would do that. 

Edited by djchapsticks

23 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

St Mirren have allowed him to build his own team at considerable expense,improved his contract at considerable expense.How about he does St Mirren the courtesy of not fucking off down south at the first sniff of a bigger gig ? 

The absolute state of that.

29 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

St Mirren have allowed him to build his own team at considerable expense,improved his contract at considerable expense.How about he does St Mirren the courtesy of not fucking off down south at the first sniff of a bigger gig ? 

Alternatively he has done a great job turning around a relegation threatened team. Has turned them into title winners and helped make the club far more attractive to sponsors than before he started.  He owes St Mirren nothing he has put the club on a good footing.

5 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I can't see Ross going. Managers get very few opportunities to actually achieve something concrete and he's on the verge of winning the league. Entirely possible that this will be his only opportunity to do that in his career. He'll have plenty of opportunities in the summer if he wants to move on to a bigger club and bigger wage. No need for him to rush it.

That's how I see it. Much bigger teams will be after him at the end of the season if we win the league.  He will always have a league championship on his CV if he stays. Going down to Barnsley to look around & talk to the board will be good  experience for the next offer which will come along in the summer. Would be a good boost for the team if he stays.

29 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

This is champions elect,desirable manager talk... run along

Sounds like dribbling mess, knicker-wetting talk to me.

Having saved your rabble from oblivion, Jack Ross could f**k everyone at the club's wife, mother and granny and should still be sent away with a massive thank you.

5 hours ago, kanyewestbank said:

The considerable expense will have been shelled out on the squad regardless of the manager and the improved contract will be paid up in full by Barnsley if he does go. 

I think it's important to note that Jack Ross has been approached by Barnsley, he's not actively applied for the job going by all press reports. 

If you were working in your job and a company approached you with an offer of a salary several times what you're currently on, are you saying you wouldn't go and speak to the company and at least see what they were like? Are you saying you'd turn your nose up at all approaches without so much as going for a look? To me that is a very pigheaded and stubborn way of conducting yourself. 

In the summer, he also did Dundee the courtesy of speaking to them after being head hunted and decided he was very happy where he was. If he was this disloyal, greedy, judas that a few want to paint him as then you can bet your bottom dollar that he'd have already been gone before this season had started. 

It is not some sort of massive betrayal to speak to another, undoubtedly larger club. What may keep Jack Ross here at present is the timing,  circumstances and differences in vibe around both clubs at present.