The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 hours ago, Stu said:

I assumed that for a club to issue a statement accusing its own supporters of some deplorable behaviour it would be at least 99.9% that it happened.

If we have genuinely put out a statement claiming our fans spat on a guy who was unconscious and that hasn't happened then good grief.  I would say whoever wrote/approved the statement should be fired but as it was almost certainly the chairman then that won't be the case.

Not that any of this excuses fans spitting at other fans, which does seem to have happened.

Think Gordon has shoot himself in the foot over this. Some fans also unhappy he brought in his golf partner Gus. Saying all that he is the owner until SMISA has the funds to buy hum out so he can do whatever he pleases. We sat across from each other in Dubai Airport in January had a chat about the clear out. He came accross very well to me. 

15 minutes ago, Scosha said:

There's a good chance we'll get relegated as well :unsure2:

Nah, all joking aside, I really can't see you getting caught by three of the sides below you. As much as I'd like to see Alloa staying up, for Jim, I can't see it now.

That said, a Raith-Dunfermline playoff final would be full of #scenes.

You can tell how despondent St Mirren fans are when there is next to hee haw to debate . Have never known match day threads to have so few posts from Saints fans this season also. We are a club that never seems to grasp it's chance at least in the last few decades. I for one think we will escape the trap door be that 11th or 10th. 

You can tell how despondent St Mirren fans are when there is next to hee haw to debate . Have never known match day threads to have so few posts from Saints fans this season also. We are a club that never seems to grasp it's chance at least in the last few decades. I for one think we will escape the trap door be that 11th or 10th. 

I think that is what frustrates me the most when we worked so hard to get back up and are just watching it slip away.
I started supporting Saints in 1986 so I grew up with us being a decent side but lately our times in the Premiership, Premier League has just been either survival defensive football or going from one defeat to the next like this season.

The club is losing its connection to the fans and even the players have become a series of jobbers going through a revolving door. Christ we can’t even keep players long enough to maintain an up to date calendar now [emoji14]

It sucks the bloody life out of you after a while. [emoji45]

St. Mirren fans must not be happy watching teams like Livingston come up with them and comfortably out perform them in the Premiership, and on a smaller budget. 

We have seen teams like Ross County and Inverness do very well in the Premiership as well, getting top 6 and Europe, whereas St. Mirren always seem to be scraping to avoid relegation. One of my good friends supports St. Mirren and he has completely lost the buzz for the team this season, last season he was at every game home and away. 

34 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

St. Mirren fans must not be happy watching teams like Livingston come up with them and comfortably out perform them in the Premiership, and on a smaller budget.  

Really, that's the rub.

The best squads we've assembled in a very long time came in 2011-3 (IMO). On paper it should have been challenging for the top six. We didn't even vaguely threaten to do so. But still, when you've seen the club pull together genuinely entertaining squads such as that one, it can be galling to see, as @Torfason said, a procession of utter jobbers stealing a wage.

What's worrying is that we stumbled across a bit of magic, in Jack Ross, Lewis Morgan, Stephen McGinn, Gavin Reilly, Cammy Smith and Harry Davis all clicking at the same time in the second tier, but we seem to have no recipe to recreate that magic. You can start to wonder if it was a fluke.

I'm about as realistic and as pragmatic a fan as you'll find - I know that our natural place in Scottish football is floating somewhere from 10th-16th, with occasional peaks above that and occasional troughs below. I know that 2011-13 squad with Thommo, Teale, Goodwin, etc, was built on the foundations of several years in the top flight, and a couple of good cup runs (semi & final in 09 & 10 respectively), not to mention the incredible good fortune of Stevie Thompson actually being a St Mirren fan.

But still, as you say, it's tough to watch other teams having that success, and creating those memories. What Livi have done this season (and over the past few years, since League One) is incredible. In Saints' defence, I'd say they're embarrassing a lot more teams than just us - right the way down the Championship.

Edited by Coventry Saint

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Really, that's the rub.

The best squads we've assembled in a very long time came in 2011-3 (IMO). On paper it should have been challenging for the top six. We didn't even vaguely threaten to do so. But still, when you've seen the club pull together genuinely entertaining squads such as that one, it can be galling to see, as @Torfason said, a procession of utter jobbers stealing a wage.

What's worrying is that we stumbled across a bit of magic, in Jack Ross, Lewis Morgan, Stephen McGinn, Gavin Reilly, Cammy Smith and Harry Davis all clicking at the same time in the second tier, but we seem to have no recipe to recreate that magic. You can start to wonder if it was a fluke.

I'm about as realistic and as pragmatic a fan as you'll find - I know that our natural place in Scottish football is floating somewhere from 10th-16th, with occasional peaks above that and occasional troughs below. I know that 2011-13 squad with Thommo, Teale, Goodwin, etc, was built on the foundations of several years in the top flight, and a couple of good cup runs (semi & final in 09 & 10 respectively), not to mention the incredible good fortune of Stevie Thompson actually being a St Mirren fan.

But still, as you say, it's tough to watch other teams having that success, and creating those memories. What Livi have done this season (and over the past few years, since League One) is incredible. In Saints' defence, I'd say they're embarrassing a lot more teams than just us - right the way down the Championship.

I remember going with my pal to a game years ago when Danny Lennon was the manager they played Aberdeen at home and absolutely battered them. Some of the football they played was brilliant with a few really exciting players. I think it ended up 1-0 with a well worked goal by Nigel Hasselbaink.

I was also taken along to the league cup final against Hearts and St. Mirren played great that day. Guys like Dummet, McLean and McGinn have went on to better things but that’s the way with most teams in Scotland, it’s hard to hold onto genuine talent. 

10 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I remember going with my pal to a game years ago when Danny Lennon was the manager they played Aberdeen at home and absolutely battered them. Some of the football they played was brilliant with a few really exciting players. I think it ended up 1-0 with a well worked goal by Nigel Hasselbaink.

I was also taken along to the league cup final against Hearts and St. Mirren played great that day. Guys like Dummet, McLean and McGinn have went on to better things but that’s the way with most teams in Scotland, it’s hard to hold onto genuine talent. 

Kenny McLean didn't even get on the park that day :lol: Shows how far we've fallen.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Kenny McLean didn't even get on the park that day :lol: Shows how far we've fallen.

I seen on Twitter David Longwell has joined Shrewsbury I think? I know he played a big role in bringing guys like McLean and McGinn through. Disappointing that a team like Shrewsbury can probably blow a team like St Mirren out the water when it comes to wages for a Youth Development coach. 

9 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I seen on Twitter David Longwell has joined Shrewsbury I think? I know he played a big role in bringing guys like McLean and McGinn through. Disappointing that a team like Shrewsbury can probably blow a team like St Mirren out the water when it comes to wages for a Youth Development coach. 

Shrewsbury will be paying higher wages than all Scottish teams bar Celtic and Sevco. 

Good move for David Longwell. 

Just been having a read at the last couple of pages... Am I right in saying that the club have fucked up with the spitting story?

If so its yet another parallel with us this season where our board disgraced themselves branding the fans with racism with no facts to hand whatsoever and have (as yet) issued no apology or clarifications.

Football fans getting mugged off and treated like scum again...

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

We were terrific that day, Aberdeen never got a sniff- but we didn't take our chances. 

That season was probably our best in the SPL and we should have been closer to the top 6 but we drew too much and Thommo apart lacked a goalscorer. Think we went something like four 0-0s in a row- I remember a game at Tannadice where nothing happened! 

Just been having a read at the last couple of pages... Am I right in saying that the club have fucked up with the spitting story?

If so its yet another parallel with us this season where our board disgraced themselves branding the fans with racism with no facts to hand whatsoever and have (as yet) issued no apology or clarifications.

Football fans getting mugged off and treated like scum again...
Technically yes. I think there was a spitting incident and a coin thrown which obviously is a disgrace, but that was separate from the unconcious United fan being taken into our stand.

A family member of said fan has confirmed that the fan wasn't spat at or hit with a coin.

Too late for the club to clear this up though, the headline went national.

Technically yes. I think there was a spitting incident and a coin thrown which obviously is a disgrace, but that was separate from the unconcious United fan being taken into our stand.

A family member of said fan has confirmed that the fan wasn't spat at or hit with a coin.

Too late for the club to clear this up though, the headline went national.

Aye. They should be apologising for that then. You dont need to condone what did happen in order to apologise for coming out guns blazing over something that didnt.

These c***s dont think enough of the fans to do that though.

Yeah, I think you'd put them mid-low Premiership level, based on attendances alone. 

Yeah that seems fair. Aberdeen spent about £8.5M in wages and Shrewsbury are around the £3.5M range, like you say more in line with bottom half of the league.
His relationship with Brian Caldwell probably sealed it though.