The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Did enough of that squad even get the chance to show it once Stubbs game in?

I thought he had alienated them all before they even had a shot?

Three key players were away - Reilly, Morgan and Davis. 

We had some players on contracts that just weren't good enough - some frankly baffling extensions were handed out. Stubbs pissed off the rest (Smith, McGinn), and bought complete duds in, all bar one of whom have been booted. 

The twist in the tale is that Stubbs was pretty much correct about some of the players. Doesn't make him any less of a c**t though :lol:

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Did enough of that squad even get the chance to show it once Stubbs game in?

I thought he had alienated them all before they even had a shot?

Stubbs pissed off the whole squad. Without even seeing them play he told 5 regulars that won the League handsomely to find new clubs. The existing squad were dumfounded that they were to be replaced with non-League part-timers and English U23s the majority of whom had never played a first team game professionally in their life. McShane wasn't asked to leave but then again Stubbs didn't play him. Disharmony ruled.

39 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Stubbs pissed off the whole squad. Without even seeing them play he told 5 regulars that won the League handsomely to find new clubs. The existing squad were dumfounded that they were to be replaced with non-League part-timers and English U23s the majority of whom had never played a first team game professionally in their life. McShane wasn't asked to leave but then again Stubbs didn't play him. Disharmony ruled.

Nitpicking but McShane left in January during OKs tenure. - he was subbed first-half and seemed to take the brunt of the blame after the 3-1 home defeat to Hamilton in December, don't think he featured for us again.

Edited by btb

20 minutes ago, btb said:

Nitpicking but McShane left in January during OKs tenure. - he was subbed first-half and seemed to take the brunt of the blame after the 3-1 home defeat to Hamilton in December, don't think he featured for us again.

Yea, I am aware of that. I was referring to Stubbs not playing McShane (and precious few others) in preference to his own signings. Stubbs gave very few of the Championship team a chance.

And as an aside in his recent interview on Radio Scotland he mentioned (again) that a journo had told him most of the Championship squad were not good enough for the Premiership. Since when did a manager take advice from a journalist?  Especially one that never played at any professional level?

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Yea, I am aware of that. I was referring to Stubbs not playing McShane (and precious few others) in preference to his own signings. Stubbs gave very few of the Championship team a chance.

And as an aside in his recent interview on Radio Scotland he mentioned (again) that a journo had told him most of the Championship squad were not good enough for the Premiership. Since when did a manager take advice from a journalist?  Especially one that never played at any professional level?

JR seemed to lose faith in McShane last season using Flynn more after he arrived in January as did both Stubbs & OK this season - that's all three of our managers during his spell in Paisley.

Most of the squad who wins the league below are good enough for the next tier, hence why they win the league and get promoted to the higher league.  And why players who play for teams who don't get promoted, clearly aren't.  Bizarre from Stubbs IMO.

A lot of people don't like it but Stubbs was entirely correct when he said the majority of the league winning squad wasn't up to being competitive in the top flight.

If we're being honest McGinn is the only one, and even he has been miles off the pace for most the season. The guys we signed in January last year for this season have summed up how badly the club has approached this season for me.

The problem is the players that we brought in, also weren't good enough for the top flight. Made worse by a non existent shape or organisation on the pitch.

JR seemed to lose faith in McShane last season using Flynn more after he arrived in January as did both Stubbs & OK this season - that's all three of our managers during his spell in Paisley.

As did Jim McIntyre.

Lovejoy is a middling to good Championship player. No more, no less. I don’t think that’s an insult to him or Falkirk.

McShane was really good for us, but I never fancied him to do well in the Premiership. He wants too much time on the ball. His set pieces were infuriating as well.

I think the Championship is his level. I hope he does well for Falkirk.

I'd take him ahead of Tansey from what we've seen so far.  Although I do have sympathy for Tansey, he was a good player. Hopefully it's just games that he needs to get back to a decent level and he's not finished.

As for Stubbs tenure, there aren't many St. Mirren fans that would have been sentimental about Championship winning players had he brought good players to replace them. There is something to be said for keeping the nucleus of a winning squad though. Livingston must have 7 or 8 regulars who were playing last year, from that there must be a few who were playing in League 1 2 seasons ago. Livingston have added decent players to their squad and done well. 

Stubbs ripped the guts out our squad.

We won the league on April 14th, in his post match interview JR was asked when planning for next season would begin, his answer was "last month", all this pretty much went on hold when Ipswich came in for Ross on May 11th. Despite a clearout by Ross (8 players released + 3 loanees going back to their parent clubs significantly Morgan & Liam Smith) the only two arrivals in May were Kellerman & P. McGinn  (both intended as fringe players IMO) throw in the departures of Davis & Reilly and you're looking at a period of over two months (nearer three if you accept JRs reply) before Stubbsy's first signings were announced  on June 21st (the infamous V9 pair Cooke & Heaton).

A lot of the blame for our form this season lies with TF for not pursuing JRs targets more vigorously and TF/GLS for not having a successor for JR ready and for appointing a manager who not ready for the squad overhaul on his appointment.

Edited by btb

16 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Ian McShane just pops them straight in the top sack for us, removing the need for anyone else to get involved and f**k it up.

Cheers for him, btw. I am a huge fan.

McShane is a good championship player. Not sure he can cut it at this level. 

On his showings so far though, he's a far better prospect than Tansey. 

McShane is a good championship player. Not sure he can cut it at this level. 
On his showings so far though, he's a far better prospect than Tansey. 
You also have to put it into context, we are watching McShane cruising about with a cigar whereas pre January we didnt actially have a midfield so we were watching folk shelling balls over the top for Petra and Rudden.

Could watch Lovejoy take the ball, make to pass then check back the other way all day [emoji7]

He does appear to enjoy doing that

Classy eh? 

St Mirren vow to find and ban fans who 'spat' at 'unconscious' supporter

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/no-hiding-place-football-yobs-2614353?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

The club have threw that section of fans under the bus here.

Our 'state of the art' cctv would have picked the incident up. Why are they looking for witnesses? [emoji848]

5 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/no-hiding-place-football-yobs-2614353?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

The club have threw that section of fans under the bus here.

Our 'state of the art' cctv would have picked the incident up. Why are they looking for witnesses? emoji848.png

Sad times if it's come to spitting on unconscious fans. Dreadful stuff :( 

20 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Classy eh? 

Certainly doesn't look good. 

Something feels wrong at the club at the moment (aside from the obvious). Incredible how quickly things can change, when you consider where we were last year, especially with the buzz around the club, the support, the manager, etc. 

Edited by Coventry Saint

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Certainly doesn't look good. 

Something feels wrong at the club at the moment (aside from the obvious). Incredible how quickly things can change, when you consider where we were last year, especially with the buzz around the club, the support, the manager, etc. 

Chalk and cheese as they say from a year ago...