The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

39 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

You say you want OK to stay until the end of the season, yet every one of the points you’ve made that you feel needs changed are all failings of the manager surely? He’s been in the job more than long enough to know what system best suits his players - that can’t be a reasonable excuse. You say you need a change at right back yet OK made him your captain yesterday. Tansey was a Kearney signing and surely you don’t expect to play a formation just to suit one player - one that appears to be underperforming for that matter. And finally fitness issues again would suggest major failings from OK. More than half way through the season and not long back from a month long break? You would expect your players to be at their peak fitness at this stage.

From the outside looking in you look doomed to fail under Kearney. It was a bizarre appointment at the time and you all seem to continually blame Stubbs yet he had a better win ratio. We’ll never know for sure but I don’t think you’d be as bad off as you are if you’d kept Stubbs.

I guess it’s more the fact that if we were to look for our third manager of the season, then who would it be? Likely only someone like Yogi or Hartley...ones who are desperate to get back in.

The thing is, we’ve seen ‘green shoots’ at times with OK. Or maybe it’s just the case that we are reading too much in to very little. We’ve been hit with injuries at times, and S McGinn, Magennis, Hodson and possibly Anton would have featured if fit yesterday...but that’s just making excuses again.

He just needs to make us harder to beat for a few weeks, a bit like his first game against Celtic. 

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

We've got an experienced manager who makes his teams organised and very hard to beat in the office next to OK....

I don't remember Tony Fitzpatrick's teams being particularly organised or hard to beat?

2 hours ago, gc_smfc said:

Kearney definitely is getting an easier time of it than he should.

Everyone points the finger at Stubbs awful recruitment, but we were massively unprepared for this season. The guys who's contracts Ross extended and the guys we signed in January for the 'future' have all been miles off this level. January has seen a better standard of player being added, but we're just so unorganised and soft.

My main issue with Kearney is that there's still be no signs of making us harder to beat, even if the squad is still limited you can at least try and get things tight and make us difficult to play against. Instead of our midfield and full backs being over run constantly as no one can track the ball back. The amount of space teams find in front of our full backs and behind our midfield two is shocking.

He was a strange choice at the time, second choice behind Stubbs, then becoming the man to rescue the season. He's got until the end of the season, as I can't see us sacking another manager even though things don't look like they are starting to click. I can't see any good reason for him to be staying longer than that though.

I agree completely. There were already calls for Stubbs to go this soon after the summer transfer window. Kearney has had a free run, probably because he comes out at the end of the game and claps the fans after they've just watched another brutal 90 minutes. I'll give him longer purely because its his team. I was of the opinion that we should give Stubbs (and even Rae, at the time) more time which probably means we should bin him. 

His team selections are strange and he doesn't seem to learn from these mistakes. Why sign McAllister to have him sitting on the bench for the first 60 mins of each game. I think it was the Celtic game in January that showed just how out of our depth we are in this league. While I wasn't going there expecting us to get anything for the game I was at least expecting some fight and effort put into the game. Aside for Popescu, no one in the team gave that. 

We have made some decent signings this January. We are not playing these signings in any sort of decent formation that gives us a chance in games. Players are blowing out their arse after 45 mins of chasing the opposition around. Staying in the pub is a far more attractive proposition for a Saturday afternoon these - far cry from this time a year ago.  

I think a lot of the criticism is all valid and fair l. But need disagree with the fitness issue, he can hardly be blamed for that. Most of these guys haven’t played recently for one reason or another - let’s be honest of they had been playing they wouldn’t have come to us. They will all need a few games under their belt, and that’s the only explanation I have for his baffling team selection on Saturday was to give some of these guys a start / 90 mins.

We really need to judge him come the end of the season. I still think he inherited a bigger clusterfuck than what Ross did for Rae. He has also inherited this mess at a higher level. The top league is prob the strongest it’s been in years with us Dundee and Hamilton clearly miles behind the rest

I think a lot of the criticism is all valid and fair l. But need disagree with the fitness issue, he can hardly be blamed for that. Most of these guys haven’t played recently for one reason or another - let’s be honest of they had been playing they wouldn’t have come to us. They will all need a few games under their belt, and that’s the only explanation I have for his baffling team selection on Saturday was to give some of these guys a start / 90 mins.

We really need to judge him come the end of the season. I still think he inherited a bigger clusterfuck than what Ross did for Rae. He has also inherited this mess at a higher level. The top league is prob the strongest it’s been in years with us Dundee and Hamilton clearly miles behind the rest
I think we need to put it in a bit of perspective. Football fans in general emotive especially in the heat off the moment.

We all knew the January transfer window is horrendous. We were never going to be able to pick up a team full of totally fit players who have been playing all season at bigger clubs. I don't know what some folk were expecting. Case in point Tansey is getting ridiculed already.

OK's team has had a couple of league games and a couple of cup games. The next 2 are away to Aberdeen and Hearts, i think we can safely write them off.

By then he should know his best formation and the players will be fit. Problem is we could be cut adrift at the bottom. That is when I will start to question him.

No question we are soft just now. Being 2-0 at half time in the cup to 2 lower league teams ( tbf United have assembled pretty much a top flight team) is horrifc.

Confidence will be low. We have good spurts in games but cant produce it over 90 minutes.

13 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

No he was a total shambles, albeit in difficult circumstances.

I realise the above comment was made in jest but David Hay was the manager who got us relegated from the top flight in 91/92 and in TFs second spell we were mid-table when he was sacked in 98/99. I'm not saying he was a good manager but he was far from being a "total shambles".   

Edited by btb

I realise the above comment was made in jest but David Hay was the manager who got us relegated from the top flight in 91/92 and in his second spell we were mid-table when he was sacked in 98/99. I'm not saying he was a good manager but he was far from being a "total shambles".   
Yeah total shambles is being harsh on Tony.

Was quite young back then so don't actually appreciate how well he done. The 90s was not a good time for us and when you look back mid table was decent considering the financial mess the club was in and he was relying heavily on youth. He did bring some gems through for us.

Watched a video recently when I was a mascot v Hamilton in 94 i think, Love St was empty. Lucky if there was 2000 there, so it could be worse.

We don't want to become a yoyo club, hopefully we learn our lessons from the last 12 months. Can't deny the feel good factor that was built up has been blown away.

My two biggest issues are

- failing to track runners - a basic requirement, why can our players not do that?

- short free kicks. We struggle to get the ball in the box at the best of times. Most goals are scored in the box. But when we get a free kick in the opposition half we pass it to the nearest team-mate when the opposition have 11 men behind the ball. Fuckin launch it! At least that keeps most of their players back on the 18 yard line and we may get the second ball in a good position even when we don't win the first header. We have to stop pussyfooting and be more direct. And stop these short corners as well.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

My two biggest issues are

- failing to track runners - a basic requirement, why can our players not do that?

- short free kicks. We struggle to get the ball in the box at the best of times. Most goals are scored in the box. But when we get a free kick in the opposition half we pass it to the nearest team-mate when the opposition have 11 men behind the ball. Fuckin launch it! At least that keeps most of their players back on the 18 yard line and we may get the second ball in a good position even when we don't win the first header. We have to stop pussyfooting and be more direct. And stop these short corners as well.

Nothing boils my piss more than a short free kick or corner. When you think about how much time is spent in open play trying to engineer crosses into the box, it's criminal not to take a free chance to deliver one unchallenged.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Yeah total shambles is being harsh on Tony.

Was quite young back then so don't actually appreciate how well he done. The 90s was not a good time for us and when you look back mid table was decent considering the financial mess the club was in and he was relying heavily on youth. He did bring some gems through for us.

Watched a video recently when I was a mascot v Hamilton in 94 i think, Love St was empty. Lucky if there was 2000 there, so it could be worse.

We don't want to become a yoyo club, hopefully we learn our lessons from the last 12 months. Can't deny the feel good factor that was built up has been blown away.

Yup - hoping for the best, fearing the worst for the remainder of this season. :bag

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Nothing boils my piss more than a short free kick or corner. When you think about how much time is spent in open play trying to engineer crosses into the box, it's criminal not to take a free chance to deliver one unchallenged.

Nah, disagree. Think that statistics back up that corners are shite, and rarely lead to goals. Pretty sure the stats suggest you are as well just kicking it out of play :lol:

Think I read that in ‘The Numbers Game’...and backed up by us being utterly fucking gash at corners for years! 

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Can't deny the feel good factor that was built up has been blown away.

I think it always was to a certain extent. I think even if we were in Livingston's position it would too. It's easy to have a feel good factor when you win every week but in the top flight we're going to get beaten, and sometimes well beaten, more often than not. 

We need to badly sort out our defence, but the opposition score for fun against us. Much of that I think is down to midfield failing to get a hold of games. 

Nah, disagree. Think that statistics back up that corners are shite, and rarely lead to goals. Pretty sure the stats suggest you are as well just kicking it out of play [emoji38]
Think I read that in ‘The Numbers Game’...and backed up by us being utterly fucking gash at corners for years! 
Ian McShane just pops them straight in the top sack for us, removing the need for anyone else to get involved and f**k it up.

Cheers for him, btw. I am a huge fan.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Ian McShane just pops them straight in the top sack for us, removing the need for anyone else to get involved and f**k it up.

Lovejoy was good for us too. Don't think he'd be a Premiership player but decent at that level. 

2 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Nah, disagree. Think that statistics back up that corners are shite, and rarely lead to goals. Pretty sure the stats suggest you are as well just kicking it out of play :lol:

Fair enough, I'll bow to the stats. I guess players such as Hammill skew the 'norm' slightly.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah, just saw that goal on Twitter. Decent! Glad he's doing well for you. As we have found, most of our squad from last season wasn't good enough for the top flight, but Lovejoy should comfortably be getting a game at top-half Champ level. Can't see you going down with a fit and in-form McShane pulling the strings.

Yeah, just saw that goal on Twitter. Decent! Glad he's doing well for you. As we have found, most of our squad from last season wasn't good enough for the top flight, but Lovejoy should comfortably be getting a game at top-half Champ level. Can't see you going down with a fit and in-form McShane pulling the strings.
Did enough of that squad even get the chance to show it once Stubbs game in?

I thought he had alienated them all before they even had a shot?

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

He probably toiled once Flynn joined in Jan last year, plus Magennis has returned from injury.

Given the choice between McShane and Flynn, I’d have kept McShane. Got a hard time from sections of the support for some reason.