The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Linked with the wonderfully named Duckens Nazon. Haitian International forward who was at Coventry last season. 

What’s the Haitian fixture list like? Serious question, don’t want to sign him for our remaining 15 games and for him to miss 5 of them.

37 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Have you seen the videos of him? Can't see him signing for us.

I've actually seen him play, he played in the Indian Super league while I was working over there. He was alright, but nothing special. I wouldn't have thought he was massively out our league to be honest, and looking at his stats and the clubs he has played for he looks pretty similar to other strikers we have been linked with, floating around various clubs, not always getting a game and not exactly prolific. He would definitely be a bit of a punt.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

I've actually seen him play, he played in the Indian Super league while I was working over there. He was alright, but nothing special. I wouldn't have thought he was massively out our league to be honest, and looking at his stats and the clubs he has played for he looks pretty similar to other strikers we have been linked with, floating around various clubs, not always getting a game and not exactly prolific. He would definitely be a bit of a punt.

Fair enough. I may have done that thing where I took someone to be a world-beater based on the youtube videos. A few of his goals showed a great touch and finish, though. :whistle

I think the criticism of OK has been over the top. The guys he has brought in have almost all been better than what we had before: Jackson, Hamill, and Ferdinand all have improved the team. The newer guys (Mcallister, Lyons, Popescu, Dreyer and Hladky) although we haven’t seen a lot of them yet have looked promising. The only one I have been disappointed with so far is Tansey.

The encouraging thing from Sunday was that we created a lot of chances which we were not doing previously and Jackson was much more effective with Lyons and Mcallister getting up to support him where previously he was very isolated. With a bit of luck and composure we could have scored 4 on Sunday, hopefully with more game time together and bringing in the new LB and a striker then it will click.

10 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

I think the criticism of OK has been over the top. The guys he has brought in have almost all been better than what we had before: Jackson, Hamill, and Ferdinand all have improved the team. The newer guys (Mcallister, Lyons, Popescu, Dreyer and Hladky) although we haven’t seen a lot of them yet have looked promising. The only one I have been disappointed with so far is Tansey.

The encouraging thing from Sunday was that we created a lot of chances which we were not doing previously and Jackson was much more effective with Lyons and Mcallister getting up to support him where previously he was very isolated. With a bit of luck and composure we could have scored 4 on Sunday, hopefully with more game time together and bringing in the new LB and a striker then it will click.

We are only starting to put OK's team together. January is a tough window to operate in. I believe Mateo Muzek was one of the players we had been monitoring for some time and it has taken till last Friday to finally get him in. A position we have been desperate to fill for months now. 

All the new signings look very useful and carry their own qualities. Dreyer only met his team mates for the first time on Sunday and went in and put in a 90mins shift. Once the other players familiarise with what he can do, we should start to see positive results there.

Probably Jacksons best game for us. That for me was down to our new tactics of using our wide men rather than a hoof the ball to Jackson who is better with the ball at his feet running. His goal showed what we should have been getting from him if he got the right sort of service.
9 shots on goal, quite a few really good ones at that is a far better improvement on what we had been witnessing in previous outings. 

It is looking most likely that we will have 2 more players at least arriving before the window closes. I know for sure one is a striker and should be done within the next couple of days. 

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Linked with the wonderfully named Duckens Nazon. Haitian International forward who was at Coventry last season. 

I did a Coventry career mode with him as my main striker on Fifa 18.  A lovely, lovely footballer.  Sign him immediately.

1 hour ago, RossDee01 said:

How are your new signings looking? On paper it looked like you had maybe made the better signings out of the bottom 3. Maybe too early to tell, but first impressions?

It's looking much better recruitment wise, to what we had at the start of the season. Dead wood gone and first impressions are good on all, though maybe 2 or 3 short still.

It's looking much better recruitment wise, to what we had at the start of the season. Dead wood gone and first impressions are good on all, though maybe 2 or 3 short still.

Kind of similar to us then. We’ve definitely strengthened up front which was required and the new goalkeeper looks much more solid. We’re still 1 short at the back and in the middle of the park I feel. Will be an interesting/depressing second half of the season for both sides.

Fully expecting after tomorrow the old refrain of "Well, the window closing doesn't matter to us as the players we'd be looking to sign are already free agents" to be trotted out.

A classic from the first decade of the transfer window.