The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

24 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
46 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Thought it was a second yellow? It was a dive. Threw himself towards the player

This. He runs towards the player then throws himself into him, the defender doesn't attempt to tackle him at all. Can certainly see why the ref deemed it a dive, and expected something different considering how outraged St Mirren fans are about it.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This. He runs towards the player then throws himself into him, the defender doesn't attempt to tackle him at all. Can certainly see why the ref deemed it a dive, and expected something different considering how outraged St Mirren fans are about it.

Wrong. 

38 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Thought it was a second yellow? It was a dive. Threw himself towards the player

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Or: the defender watches his run and deliberately checks him. If Lyons pre-empted that, then it was an attempt to not get bodied. 

Honestly, watch the defender step-by-step. He stops moving backwards, checks his movement and moves across into Lyons after the ball has gone.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Or: the defender watches his run and deliberately checks him. If Lyons pre-empted that, then it was an attempt to not get bodied. 

Honestly, watch the defender step-by-step. He moves across after the ball has gone.

He moved a foot, at most, while your player just runs straight at him, then jumps forward just before the contact.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He moved a foot, at most, while your player just runs straight at him, then jumps forward just before the contact.

What difference does it make how far he moves? :lol: If the player you're fouling is only a foot away, then it's a foul. How can Lyons run straight into him, if he's moved a foot into his path to block him?!

You've got to be at the wind-up here :lol:

What difference does it make how far he moves? :lol: If the player you're fouling is only a foot away, then it's a foul. How can Lyons run straight into him, if he's moved a foot into his path to block him?!

You've got to be at the wind-up here :lol:

The players body doesn't move.

His foot comes out.

Lyon runs straight at him.

Lyon initiates the contact and is beginning to fake the tackle before he even contacts the defender. 

I understand you're utterly blinded because you support St Mirren, we all do it, but it's totally understandable he's been booked for diving, and it's certainly not a scandalous decision.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Screenshot_20190120-094131_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3737146c79c5404d2bb7a569ae44e88d.jpg

Look at him there, his left leg is past the defender. A split second later he drags his right foot on the ground, and takes a fall into the defender. Watch it scene by scene and you'll see it.

It's a dive. 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20190120-094131_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3737146c79c5404d2bb7a569ae44e88d.jpg

Look at him there, his left leg is past the defender. A split second later he drags his right foot on the ground, and takes a fall into the defender. Watch it scene by scene and you'll see it.

It's a dive. 

So at that precise point, as we've established and agreed, the defender has already put his right foot across his run? And that's not a foul?

Edit: sorry, is this where the 'he's moved less than 12 inches' rule comes into play?! 

Edited by Coventry Saint

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

So at precise point, as we've established and agreed, the defender has already put his right foot across his run? And that's not a foul?

*sigh*

Your player, at that moment, decided to drag his foot on the ground and fall into the defender.

If he'd continued his run and been fouled it would've a foul, he didn't do that though.

There's a difference. Watch it again, scene by scene, and you'll see your player go down, and fall forward, before he's reached the defender, the contact comes when he's already going down.

I think the reaction of most of the Alloa players says it all. 

The defender thought he'd conceded the free kick and was a bit miffed. The team mates were starting to defensively get into position. It wasn't until the point where the ref pulls the yellow to Lyons that the Alloa players get up in arms at him. 

For the record, I don't think it was a foul but it wasnt a dive either. It was a nothing challenge in a relatively nothing area of the park. 

Correct decision would have been to wave play on and tell player to get up. As happens several times a game. As happened on several occasions yesterday for similar innocuous stuff. 

Edited by djchapsticks

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If he'd continued his run and been fouled it would've a foul, he didn't do that though.

But you've already claimed Lyons ran right into him. Now you're saying he didn't?

Away and get your story straight. I'm taking my boy swimming, I'll catch you later. I might get to see some actual dives, too.

But you've already claimed Lyons ran right into him. Now you're saying he didn't?

I thi k you should re-read things, then watch it again.

I'm all for criticising refs when they get it wrong, but making bollocks claims like this holds any chance of getting changes made back, as those in charge believe fans just make a fuss about anything against thier team.

Anyway, yesterday bore so many hallmarks to the TNS game a couple of years ago. 

Cup game against a team of lower standing, losing on our own patch, hopelessly inept first half and really under the cosh. 

Then we pull a performance out of the bag from nowhere. The TNS game is widely accepted as the spur that galvanised the team into the form they hit in the second half of that season. I'm hoping the circumstances of the win yesterday has a similar effect on these guys. 

Next week to be exciting. We're in advanced talks with several players and hope to have 2 or 3 of those over the line in the first couple of days of next week  according to OK.

Tony Fitz saying to a supporter in 1877 club that the guys we're down the line with are two centre forwards, a centre half and a winger. 

Imagine one of the centre forwards is Connor Sammon if rumours are true.... Admittedly, I'm not as miffed at the prospect as I was now that I know we're in for two strikers rather than just one. 

The winger... please be Lewis Morgan. 

The centre half.... No idea what's going on there but there have been murmurings for a while that a certain league winning centre half isn't enjoying life at Grimsby. I think I'd self combust if Harry came back. 

Still desperately need a left back though. It concerns me that nothing has been said of how pressing this is. Ethan is a good player but he's at the stage where he's been roasted the last few games. I worry a bit for him at Parkhead. 

Edited by djchapsticks

If that's a deemed dive by our match officials, then the number of yellow cards issued for "simulation" is going to rocket in the next few weeks. I'm sure our excellent match officials will book every player in this type of incident.

Anyway, before his sending off Lyons was excellent. Imposing presence in the air, great through the centre and down the wing. Looks an excellent find.

Hladsky, Popescu and McAllister all strolled the game too.

Tansey looked short of match fitness, but will improve over time.

Cody Cooke also looked like a forward, and took his goal well. Unlike most of OK's fuckwitted predecessor's signings, he's got his head down and put in a power of work on the training ground. Heaton, the impostor,  could learn a lot from him.

Looking forward to next week's plethora of signings.:)