The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 hours ago, paisleysaints said:

Yeah nice to dream but he'll be better suited to Hibs or Aberdeen in Celtic's eye's. 

Unfortunately we're brining in a host of unknows from across the sea's to help the cause.  Would be nice to get a name or two that excites us but I highly doubt it we'll just need to see how they do come Alloa game 

Bringing in unknowns can be a really good thing. We might not know them but neither will opponents. Hopefully by the time they work out how to stop them we'll be safe. 

Bringing in unknowns can be a really good thing. We might not know them but neither will opponents. Hopefully by the time they work out how to stop them we'll be safe. 
worked great for us with moussa, mendy, ngwatala, madianga, wolters.... i could go on but you get the point! hopefully these unknowns you are signing are as shite as what we brought in.

i said earlier in this thread that we would be competing for the same players but i was very wrong. looks like kearney and McIntyre are going for totally different approaches. will be an interesting window anyway

1 hour ago, ah-dee said:

worked great for us with moussa, mendy, ngwatala, madianga, wolters.... i could go on but you get the point! hopefully these unknowns you are signing are as shite as what we brought in.

i said earlier in this thread that we would be competing for the same players but i was very wrong. looks like kearney and McIntyre are going for totally different approaches. will be an interesting window anyway

To be fair, our first two signings have been playing regularly in the top leagues in Czech Republic and Romania in the past year, which is a bit of a step above most the names that you've mentioned IMO.

But you're correct, they could be shite, as could a team of Ex-Ross County players.

Edited by FTOF

To be fair, our first two signings have been playing regularly in the top leagues in Slovakia and Romania in the past year, which is a bit of a step above most the names that you've mentioned IMO.
But you're correct, they could be shite, as could a team of Ex-Ross County players.
not slating the route Kearney has gone down at all nor commending McIntyres by any means. just pointing out the difference and how intriguing itll be over the next few months.

then again we could both cock it up like we did in the summer and itll be a very long few months! hopefully hamilton are bottom of the pile and you guys survive the play-offs by humping utd. that of course would leave us comfortably in 10th!

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

To be fair, our first two signings have been playing regularly in the top leagues in Slovakia and Romania in the past year, which is a bit of a step above most the names that you've mentioned IMO.

Czech Republic and Romania, ;)

On paper, Mendy really should have been a good signing for Dundee. Decent scoring record at a decent level. The majority of the others mentioned by ah-dee are very 'meh' in terms of their playing history, bit like Pal Fjelde and Stelios, which is a very hit and miss strategy. These guys coming in seem to be taking more of a sideways step in terms of the level they've played at to come to Scotland rather than taking an upwards step from places like French 3rd division or Norwegian 2nd division.

Kusunga for Dundee is one who has played at a pretty good level as well and he's looked OK whenever I've seen him.

There is always a risk associated with these types of players....how will they settle? Will they adapt to a different pace of football? Thing is though, it's a route we've never really taken....we've always seemed to have stuck to the Scottish market, and the odd left field signing which has been more hit than miss. I'm quite comfortable though that these players are being scouted in advance rather than signed for shits and giggles. We've been led to believe that all players coming in have been as fully assessed as possible to minimise the chances they are shite.

Time to wait and see now, I guess.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

From Liberec's official website.

Couple of bits of dodginess from google translate (Cypriot concentration camp being my favourite) but you get the gist!

image.thumb.png.b842e854623bc6f4c3df31cde19c0822.png

He flew to Scotland to sign for Saints rather than a spell in the "Cypriot Concentration Camp".  f**k me Brexit can't come quick enough !!!!!

Czech Republic and Romania, [emoji6]
On paper, Mendy really should have been a good signing for Dundee. Decent scoring record at a decent level. The majority of the others mentioned by ah-dee are very 'meh' in terms of their playing history, bit like Pal Fjelde and Stelios, which is a very hit and miss strategy. These guys coming in seem to be taking more of a sideways step in terms of the level they've played at to come to Scotland rather than taking an upwards step from places like French 3rd division or Norwegian 2nd division.
Kusunga for Dundee is one who has played at a pretty good level as well and he's looked OK whenever I've seen him.

There is always a risk associated with these types of players....how will they settle? Will they adapt to a different pace of football? Thing is though, it's a route we've never really taken....we've always seemed to have stuck to the Scottish market, and the odd left field signing which has been more hit than miss. I'm quite comfortable though that these players are being scouted in advance rather than signed for shits and giggles. We've been led to believe that all players coming in have been as fully assessed as possible to minimise the chances they are shite.
Time to wait and see now, I guess.
mendy has been a massive disappointment. his lack of bottle was shown on his debut against dunfermiline when he bottled out a free header. i can only assume he was expecting to get clattered by the keeper but a man of his size, shirking like that, was unacceptable.

kusunga has been a successful signing compared to many others and is a steady enough player. always likely to shit the bed though but i often think thats a confidence thing. im not counting his own goals in that as they couldnt really be helped.

taking my sides recent debacle to the side, i cant think of my sides having success with a huge influx of unknown players. perhaps george burleys hearts side but thats about it. ill happily be corrected on that

3 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

taking my sides recent debacle to the side, i cant think of my sides having success with a huge influx of unknown players. perhaps george burleys hearts side but thats about it. ill happily be corrected on that

I think that's fair comment. It IS most definitely a risk to bring in a group of players from Eastern Europe.

We will just need to wait and see how it pans out.

McIntyre is going for players he knows and trusts from the past. Saints are gambling on Eastern European imports.

Either way, looking at the bottom three teams I'd be most worried if I was a Hamilton fan, as they don't seem to be doing anything at all!

I think that's fair comment. It IS most definitely a risk to bring in a group of players from Eastern Europe.
We will just need to wait and see how it pans out.
McIntyre is going for players he knows and trusts from the past. Saints are gambling on Eastern European imports.
Either way, looking at the bottom three teams I'd be most worried if I was a Hamilton fan, as they don't seem to be doing anything at all!
absolutely. dundee could be a very expensive disaster if it doesn't work going by the contracts we are handing out, saints are really gambling and hamilton have the proverbial finger up their ass!

think we will all agree it could very well come down to the results against each other?

Just now, ah-dee said:

absolutely. dundee could be a very expensive disaster if it doesn't work going by the contracts we are handing out, saints are really gambling and hamilton have the proverbial finger up their ass!

think we will all agree it could very well come down to the results against each other?

Yeah, the head to heads will ultimately decide it. I can't see any of the three teams going on a sustained run of picking up points.

St.Mirren have a horrendous run of games when we start again. Four of our next six are away from home against Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen. The two home games are Motherwell and Hibernian.

We then go on the reverse and have four home games out of the next six before the split.

Yeah, the head to heads will ultimately decide it. I can't see any of the three teams going on a sustained run of picking up points.
St.Mirren have a horrendous run of games when we start again. Four of our next six are away from home against Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen. The two home games are Motherwell and Hibernian.
We then go on the reverse and have four home games out of the next six before the split.

our run till the end of February is a lot more favourable on paper but being dundee we will get a point at tynecastle then ship 4 to motherwell at home setting rhe rone for the month. will also be interesting to see how many changes there are in both our starting line ups from our last league game

Still a long way to go in the window.

There's no way Hamilton will be oblivious to St Mirren and Dundee's movement. I would imagine that they'll have a wee bit of dosh with Brustad/Bloomfield going back to their parent clubs (and maybe some more from the Ferguson deal) and biding their time until the right players come up, which is often towards the end of the window. It's going to be a very interesting second half of the season.