The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Malec's stats on Wiki aren't much better than Brock-Madsen's. Crucially though, he is three inches taller.

For the record, that's not me saying he'll be rubbish as I hadn't heard of him until two hours ago. Just pointing it out for those getting excited about a few minutes of YouTube footage.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Malec's stats on Wiki aren't much better than Brock-Madsen's. Crucially though, he is three inches taller.

For the record, that's not me saying he'll be rubbish as I hadn't heard of him until two hours ago. Just pointing it out for those getting excited about a few minutes of YouTube footage.

I'm hoping we've watched enough of him to know what he's about, and that the manager is happy with what he brings.

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I'm hoping we've watched enough of him to know what he's about, and that the manager is happy with what he brings.

The new system that is in place for targeting players is more thorough and I am sure homework has been done on all targets over and over before any approach has been made. Post Stubbs, lessons have been learned. Not to say there will be an odd failure from time to time, though if any good of Stubbs' reign, it was a wake up call to the board to put strategies in place for recruitment of players.

15 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

The new system that is in place for targeting players is more thorough and I am sure homework has been done on all targets over and over before any approach has been made. Post Stubbs, lessons have been learned. Not to say there will be an odd failure from time to time, though if any good of Stubbs' reign, it was a wake up call to the board to put strategies in place for recruitment of players.

There was already a strategy in place. We had a pretty extensive scouting network set-up between the tail end of 2017 and Stubbs' arrival, including a head of recruitment. The problem seems to be, according to a few of these scouts and the head of recruitment, is that Stubbs pretty much ignored them and signed his own guys. The only folk they claim they were involved in recommending were Paul McGinn and Kellerman, who were Ross signings.

Given how things have transpired, you can understand why these scouts have distanced themselves from Stubbs' signings even if they were involved in that process. However, if they are telling the truth it seems rather unfair they were made to carry the can for the mess Stubbs made.

If we're now down to Gus and guys like TF, Jimmy Nic etc looking at players I'd argue that's a backward step. That's nothing against the people involved, more I'd have thought it better to have as extensive a scouting network as possible. If Gus etc are acting on recommendations from the scouts and checking them out then fair enough but based on the number of now former scouts kicking around LinkedIn I'm not convinced that's how it's working (although some of the fantasists on that site make even Mr Dickson seem plausible and well connected).

Edited by Stu

19 minutes ago, GFARAB82 said:

Cammy Smith joining United this afternoon sorry staggies and honest men 

Great signing hope he brings his champions medal along to show you all.  We should never be letting him leave

Morton_47.jpg.81aa99bad320a2886a7b4813cd2bb9a4.jpg

Edited by paisleysaints

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

If we are in the play offs lets hope United bottle it before the final. This one will cone back to haunt us emoji23.png.

Yeah, that had occurred to me. It was the one positive of us maybe just loaning him out :lol:

2 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Great signing hope he brings his champions medal along to show you all.  

Stubbs made him post it to Lewis Morgan. :(

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

There was already a strategy in place. We had a pretty extensive scouting network set-up between the tail end of 2017 and Stubbs' arrival, including a head of recruitment. The problem seems to be, according to a few of these scouts and the head of recruitment, is that Stubbs pretty much ignored them and signed his own guys. The only folk they claim they were involved in recommending were Paul McGinn and Kellerman, who were Ross signings.

Given how things have transpired, you can understand why these scouts have distanced themselves from Stubbs' signings even if they were involved in that process. However, if they are telling the truth it seems rather unfair they were made to carry the can for the mess Stubbs made.

If we're now down to Gus and guys like TF, Jimmy Nic etc looking at players I'd argue that's a backward step. That's nothing against the people involved, more I'd have thought it better to have as extensive a scouting network as possible. If Gus etc are acting on recommendations from the scouts and checking them out then fair enough but based on the number of now former scouts kicking around LinkedIn I'm not convinced that's how it's working (although some of the fantasists on that site make even Mr Dickson seem plausible and well connected).

OK mentioned in more depth without giving too much away that there is a new method in place. Not so much dependent on scouts working for the club from what i gathered.