The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

57 minutes ago, Soctty said:

How do you know what is too many backroom staff? At the moment we have the same amount as we did under Stubbs. Nicholl will be an extra, but again, how does anyone know what we're budgeting for? Or how long a contract we've given the backroom staff, or what getout clauses at have in the event of relegation. 

Seems everyone just likes moaning based on their imagined idea of our budget. I understand people whining about our results, performances etc, but not about finances of which we have little to no knowledge. 

As I have written Scotty it's players that will keep us in this league. A club our size can't have enough money for a player budget given where we are going into January. You know as well as I do if we go down back room staff will shrink. To stay in this league you need to get the basics right first on the park. Anyway let's see if all these back room staff is money well spent at the end of the season I have my doubts. 

On 17/11/2018 at 15:02, djchapsticks said:

I've learned to stop arguing with DZ. You can't outwit total ignorance.

Or accounts. Edit - What's to argue ? I would rather the sports scientist salary went on another player. It's a difference of opinion not an argument.  

Edited by Demented Zebra

On 11/16/2018 at 11:13, Demented Zebra said:

As I have written Scotty it's players that will keep us in this league. A club our size can't have enough money for a player budget given where we are going into January. You know as well as I do if we go down back room staff will shrink. To stay in this league you need to get the basics right first on the park. Anyway let's see if all these back room staff is money well spent at the end of the season I have my doubts. 

So we should get rid of as many of the coaching and backroom staff as possible and just bring in more players? Someone better inform the rest of world football - they're under the impression that more coaching makes for better players and better teams, and better preparation, nutrition and diet makes for a more efficient playing staff.

Turns out all the players need to play better, be more tactically aware and be fitter is to be paid more money...

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

From my time on P & B I realise this is the umpteenth request for something like this but any help would be much appreciated. I'm in my 4th year at the University of Aberdeen doing a Politics and Sociology degree and for my honours dissertation I'm writing about Scottish football fandom. The title is "What a shitey home support! A study of Scottish football rivalry as tool for capital accumulation".  The plan is to talk about why Scottish football teams hold rivalries and what they provide/ mean to the fans.  I'm choosing St Mirren and Morton as the two teams to study and the plan is to conduct some interviews with dedicated fans about their relationship with  their respective club, town and rivals.I'm a Paisley lad and a St Mirren season ticket holder so I can conduct interviews at a time and place of your choosing. The plan is to come to  match day to experience both sets of fans myself so I can easily meet before or after a game.

I know these requests pop up a fair bit but any insight would be very helpful, would be interesting to hear what people make of the rivalry. 

If anyone would be interested, please reply and I can send an e-mail.

Cheers, Fraser.

2 hours ago, Fraser Smith said:

From my time on P & B I realise this is the umpteenth request for something like this but any help would be much appreciated. I'm in my 4th year at the University of Aberdeen doing a Politics and Sociology degree and for my honours dissertation I'm writing about Scottish football fandom. The title is "What a shitey home support! A study of Scottish football rivalry as tool for capital accumulation".  The plan is to talk about why Scottish football teams hold rivalries and what they provide/ mean to the fans.  I'm choosing St Mirren and Morton as the two teams to study and the plan is to conduct some interviews with dedicated fans about their relationship with  their respective club, town and rivals.I'm a Paisley lad and a St Mirren season ticket holder so I can conduct interviews at a time and place of your choosing. The plan is to come to  match day to experience both sets of fans myself so I can easily meet before or after a game.

I know these requests pop up a fair bit but any insight would be very helpful, would be interesting to hear what people make of the rivalry. 

If anyone would be interested, please reply and I can send an e-mail.

Cheers, Fraser.

Better going to blackandwhitearmy.com with this question.  Personally I don't see it as a rivalry given the history of both clubs. It's always nice to beat your neighbours for bragging rights. Growing up it was always Kilmarnock as our rivals but that has changed . 

1 hour ago, McG said:

Hearing Adam Hamill wants to stay so should be easy enough to deal with.

Expect Cody Cooke to be on the bench today, he has been impressing seemingly.

Good news regarding Hammill.

Cooke has been on the bench for the last three games.

If it's true that both Magennis and Mullen are out long term, this makes an already crucial January even more so.

Hammill has been (rightly) given credit for our mini-revival (5 points in 4 games for us IS a revival) but I don't think it's any coincidence that we started playing better when Magennnis got back in to the team, and were even ahead of Hibs at Easter Road until (literally) seconds before he picked up his latest injury - and then were abject in the only game since.

It's worrying that he's starting to look injury prone - out for the first few months last season and this, and now out for a few months again.

Potentially a great player, but we need talent on the pitch, and as if we don't have enough to do in January. finding a backup for Magennis makes that recruitment so much harder.

8 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

If it's true that both Magennis and Mullen are out long term, this makes an already crucial January even more so.

Hammill has been (rightly) given credit for our mini-revival (5 points in 4 games for us IS a revival) but I don't think it's any coincidence that we started playing better when Magennnis got back in to the team, and were even ahead of Hibs at Easter Road until (literally) seconds before he picked up his latest injury - and then were abject in the only game since.

It's worrying that he's starting to look injury prone - out for the first few months last season and this, and now out for a few months again.

Potentially a great player, but we need talent on the pitch, and as if we don't have enough to do in January. finding a backup for Magennis makes that recruitment so much harder.

Adam Eckerslaen. y should be slotted into left back with the young man put into his natural position in midfield will be disappointed if that does not happen.  

2 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Adam Eckerslaen. y should be slotted into left back with the young man put into his natural position in midfield will be disappointed if that does not happen.  

Worth a shot; however Eckersley has also been out for a long time, has been on the verge of a comeback for weeks and hasn't featured, and Erhahon is only 17.

He's looked pretty decent at full back where he's shown good timing in tackles and has been reasonably effective stopping opponents, I'm not sure he's going to be able to go in to a midfield, competing with established Premiership midfielders, and create.

As I say though, our options are even more limited than they were a couple of weeks ago, so it's worth a shot.