The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Samson is the best keeper we've had since Campbell Money. I don't really care how shite he was for other clubs, he has been very good for us. 

Sure he's had a few howlers for us, but we are St. Mirren we can't afford to sign top class keepers.

It's also still possible to love the club, yet take a job with a higher salary and more prospects for the future. I love my job, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't take a better paid job if I was offered.

Good luck to him, he's been a great servant to the club. 

St Mirren fans are only accepting of Kearney because he's not a member of Scottish football's managerial merry-go-round. If John Hughes or Jackie McNamara had come in and picked up two points out of 27 then they'd have been hounded out by now.

Fantastic news for the club re: Samson though. Probably means you'll start playing the best keeper rather than the changing room favourite. At least the gym teacher is having some positive impact getting him moved on pronto.

3 hours ago, killiefan27 said:

I remember playing you at St Mirren Park the year you went down, and he just wandered out of the box with the ball in his hands.

About 4'35 in this:

I guess it's like Jamie MacDonald for us, who isn't rated at all by Hearts and Falkirk but has made some really crucial saves for us. Except recently. Which earned him a Scotland call for some reason.

Good to see him not even attempting to save those penalties. Guid c**t all round. 

Think this is probably a good time for both parties to go their separate ways. Samson has been great for us but, like every other player this season, he hasn’t performed.
He’s earned himself a decent gig down south - probably the highest weekly pay he’ll have received all career - so who can blame him.
About time we get to see what Rodgers can do. It will free up a wage to strengthen the team at least.

Samson is a legend for us and I'm sad to see him go. I don't really care what other teams fans think to be honest, Samson was integral in our league cup win, and was far and away the best keeper in the championship last season. He was also much better than several bigger names that came before and after him at St. Mirren like Kello or Gallacher, and he even earned a call up to the Scotland squad, causing magnificent seethe.

To be honest, he's not really supposed to be our number one this season anyway, he stepped in after Rodgers absolutely disastrous performance in the league cup and subsequent injury, and has been one of our best players, with the second highest amount of saves of any keeper in the league. It's sad to see him go.

41 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

St Mirren fans are only accepting of Kearney because he's not a member of Scottish football's managerial merry-go-round. If John Hughes or Jackie McNamara had come in and picked up two points out of 27 then they'd have been hounded out by now.

Fantastic news for the club re: Samson though. Probably means you'll start playing the best keeper rather than the changing room favourite. At least the gym teacher is having some positive impact getting him moved on pronto.

He's their Stephen Kenny, IMO.

Samson has been great for us. Played a key role in us winning the League Cup and then winning the Championship last season. Plenty of clean sheets last season and think he had a fair number in 2011/12. Wasn't convinced about him being our first choice this year and don't think he's been that good, although others say he's been one of our best players. Probably a sad indictment of how poor we've been more than anything else.

The nature of his departure is a bit shit. For a club to take someone who has been playing regularly for another club to be a coach outwith the transfer window is crap - for it to be their first choice goalie is really crap. The fact it's Ross probably makes it even worse. Still, we get another friendly with Sunderland so that makes it all OK.

Despite how poor he's apparently been when he's played so far, Rogers is meant to be highly rated so hopefully he's up to the job. Main concern is his lack of match fitness.

And if we're looking for another goalie, Billy O'Brien was at Dens on Saturday...

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Samson has been great for us. Played a key role in us winning the League Cup and then winning the Championship last season. Plenty of clean sheets last season and think he had a fair number in 2011/12. Wasn't convinced about him being our first choice this year and don't think he's been that good, although others say he's been one of our best players. Probably a sad indictment of how poor we've been more than anything else.

The nature of his departure is a bit shit. For a club to take someone who has been playing regularly for another club to be a coach outwith the transfer window is crap - for it to be their first choice goalie is really crap. The fact it's Ross probably makes it even worse. Still, we get another friendly with Sunderland so that makes it all OK.

Despite how poor he's apparently been when he's played so far, Rogers is meant to be highly rated so hopefully he's up to the job. Main concern is his lack of match fitness.

And if we're looking for another goalie, Billy O'Brien was at Dens on Saturday...

Billy has retired and is now in the army, I believe.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

We were linked with him in the summer before we signed Hamilton.

You can have Hamilton?

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Only team's fans that say he's anything other than shite are St Mirren fans.

Correct. Same with David van Zanten who is also a legend at St. Mirren despite doing heehaw with Hibs, Hamilton or Morton.

Some players fit some clubs. Sammy and DvZ are two such guys.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Correct. Same with David van Zanten who is also a legend at St. Mirren despite doing heehaw with Hibs, Hamilton or Morton.

Some players fit some clubs. Sammy and DvZ are two such guys.

It's amazing the amount of people who don't get this. It's like me insisting Dennis Wyness was shit for ICT or Andy Webster was shit for Hearts.

13 hours ago, GAD said:

Samson is a legend for us and I'm sad to see him go. I don't really care what other teams fans think to be honest, Samson was integral in our league cup win, and was far and away the best keeper in the championship last season. He was also much better than several bigger names that came before and after him at St. Mirren like Kello or Gallacher, and he even earned a call up to the Scotland squad, causing magnificent seethe.

To be honest, he's not really supposed to be our number one this season anyway, he stepped in after Rodgers absolutely disastrous performance in the league cup and subsequent injury, and has been one of our best players, with the second highest amount of saves of any keeper in the league. It's sad to see him go.

Also has the second highest amount of goals conceded to be fair, stats probably saying more about the rest of the team than Craig.

He's been shot at more times than Liam Neeson.

I was at secondary school with Craig, and as a resultit used to make me cringe to hear the level of stick he got. Having said that he wasn't great for us second time round - particularly towards the end of his time - althoughdefinitely shouldered a disproportionate level of blame for a shite defence. 

At St Mirren it was very obviously always a different story, and he's looked well in anything I've seen of the buddies this season.

I'm surprised he's opted to move into coaching so young given his injury record, but Sunderland must be paying well. Hope he does well, as regardless of what some might say he's got a playing career he can be very proud of. 

17 hours ago, Torfason said:
19 hours ago, flyingscot said:
Have to say I didn't see Sammy calling it a day. 
He gets criticised  a lot by other clubs, but he's largely done well for us for whatever reason! 

It's a strange time to go but maybe didn't fancy a relegation to end his career. Does this mean Lyness isn't going out on loan to Airdrie?

Perhaps he wanted to quit on a high and going by the season so far 1-1 against Dundee might have been as close to a high as we are going to get.

It's a great opportunity for him , if he can hold down a position in Jack Ross's coaching team he could have a long and prosperous career coaching wherever Jack Ross ends up.

Good luck to him

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Bit different when it's a goalie that can't catch though!

Don't think Craig Samson would have had the highly successful and decorated career he had if he hadn't been able to catch mate.

Sammy’s obviously well loved at Saints and he was fantastic in the cup winning season but I’m really not fussed about him going. I didn’t think he was great last season and he’s nowhere near good enough for the Premiership anymore.

I think his excellent penalty record and habit of keeping the score down in some of our worst games recently has papered over his weaknesses, namely never coming off his line and letting in loads of goals from outside the box.