The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

McGugan doesn't seem to have played for anyone since leaving Northampton at the start of the year. His short spell there came after not playing for the best part of 18 months for Wednesday. I think it's fair to see he's going to be a bit short of fitness!

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

McGugan doesn't seem to have played for anyone since leaving Northampton at the start of the year. His short spell there came after not playing for the best part of 18 months for Wednesday. I think it's fair to see he's going to be a bit short of fitness!

50 odd appearances in about 4 years is a concern with regards to fitness and injuries. Good player though if he’s fit and motivated enough.

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

50 odd appearances in about 4 years is a concern with regards to fitness and injuries. Good player though if he’s fit and motivated enough.

If he isn't pretty much ready to go, he won't be offered a deal. We seen that with Cotterill, despite his pedigree.

I'm assuming Jackson must be quite sharp to have grabbed a hattrick yesterday, albeit in a bounce game.

3 hours ago, Drooper said:

If he isn't pretty much ready to go, he won't be offered a deal. We seen that with Cotterill, despite his pedigree.

I'm assuming Jackson must be quite sharp to have grabbed a hattrick yesterday, albeit in a bounce game.

I doubt any free agent that’s not been training with another club or that haven’t done a proper pre season will get a deal at this stage.

2 hours ago, Drooper said:

He is here for a week but looks off the pace I’m told.

Jackson should sign tomorrow though.

9 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I doubt any free agent that’s not been training with another club or that haven’t done a proper pre season will get a deal at this stage.

Anton Ferdinand never really had a pre-season and he has done fairly well.

I think it depends on how long a trial the club are willing to give a free agent.

4 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Anton Ferdinand never really had a pre-season and he has done fairly well.

I think it depends on how long a trial the club are willing to give a free agent.

He played more last season as well, though, so will have found his fitness a little faster.

57 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He played more last season as well, though, so will have found his fitness a little faster.

And had at least been with a club until the end of August so would have been doing training even if he wasn't playing.

McGugan hasn't had a club since January. You'd have thought someone would have taken a punt on him by now. There doesn't even seem to be any sign of him pitching up on trial in the summer.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

And had at least been with a club until the end of August so would have been doing training even if he wasn't playing.

McGugan hasn't had a club since January. You'd have thought someone would have taken a punt on him by now. There doesn't even seem to be any sign of him pitching up on trial in the summer.

I think he was on trial at Cardiff until August !

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Think we're at the stage with number of injuries and personnel that if someone of superior quality is two or three weeks off, we might actually have to take the chance. 50 good minutes is better than none.

34 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think we're at the stage with number of injuries and personnel that if someone of superior quality is two or three weeks off, we might actually have to take the chance. 50 good minutes is better than none.

We took a chance on Harry Davies last year. Waited for several months for him to become fit again - and it was well worth waiting for!

We have to balance up if they will enhance the squad now or are we better waiting till the transfer window.  We have a lot of work to get the squad up to a good level not to mention injuries.  Sometimes it may not just be lack of fitness with the out of contract players. 

34 minutes ago, AW saint said:

We have to balance up if they will enhance the squad now or are we better waiting till the transfer window.  We have a lot of work to get the squad up to a good level not to mention injuries.  Sometimes it may not just be lack of fitness with the out of contract players. 

I suppose one option would be a short term deal until January. Wouldn't cost too much, and could bag and replace as required.

16 minutes ago, Drooper said:

I suppose one option would be a short term deal until January. Wouldn't cost too much, and could bag and replace as required.

Wouldn't surprise me if some loan signings are cut short and some others contracted are loaned out once the injury list doesn't look as bad come January.