The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

18 hours ago, Stu said:

Has Martin Christie left? I knew a few scouts chucked it when Stubbs went but didn't realise he had gone.

I am now unsure about that. I was sure I read that he left along with some other scouts but cannot find the source.

At least Gus can check out any player a manager wants to see if he is any good. We gave Stubbs free  reign and backed him to the hilt but he brought in 10 players most of whom are clearly not up to the task. Hopefully Gus can prevent that happening again.

2 hours ago, Munoz said:

Every player deserves their chance , including all the Stubbs signings. No doubt come January , some won't make the grade.

I don’t think that it will take Oran Kearney Brian Rice and Gus long to sort out the players clearly not up to the required standard for this level. It’s almost like Jackson had a dual role at the club, first team coach/ part time agent. 

I’ve never been so glad to see the back of those two frauds. A pair of chancing b*****ds.

18 hours ago, Stu said:

Going by this, he's also going to be involved in coaching: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45593963

Kearney claiming we have a first team squad of 28?! Must be including guys like Erhahon in that.

Been on the bench for our last three league games and three of our League Cup matches so no reason he wouldn't be included. Clearly very highly rated.

3 hours ago, Soctty said:

Been on the bench for our last three league games and three of our League Cup matches so no reason he wouldn't be included. Clearly very highly rated.

And now that Cammy MacPherson has signed an extension, he's surely also considered a first team squad member.

After today's performance, where even in the first 30 minutes when we were okay but still carried no real goal threat, I think until January we should treat every game like it's Celtic at Celtic Park.

Basically try to pick up a few points from 0-0 draws and hope that's enough to keep us in the fight for 11th when the transfer window re-opens.

I probably feel most sorry for the manager at this point. He interviewed for a very good job in the summer and got a poisoned chalice a few week later. Stubbs has signed a mixture of duds and players who were no where near fit enough for this level and now someone else has to try and shape them into some sort of a team. January will give Oran a chance to get some players in but in terms of finances unless he can move a lot of players out, his hands are tied. This mess will take a couple of transfer windows to fix and by that time we will likely be back in the Championship.

I just hope Oran is given the time and support to do that.

18 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Clearly this shocking result is Stubbs' fault.  Has to go.

Given the current manager has been able to make a single signing and two injuries exposed just how poor our squad then yes, it absolutely is Stubb’s fault. 

I feel heart sorry for Kearney. What we saw yesterday was the product of Stubbs’s atrocious recruitment and man management. A squad so thin that a right back had to play CB, a centre mid pushed to right back and a centre mid farmed out to right mid. They’re so low on confidence and that losing habit will take a long time to be conditioned out of them.

It will be worth remembering in the tough weeks ahead that it took Jack Ross the best part of 4 months and a busy transfer window to even begin to turn things around when he took the reigns in 2016. The fans need to be patient with Oran as we won’t see instant results.

That said I am getting fed up attending games where we have lost by half time. It’s an utter kick in the nads every single week.

Oran said in his post match interview that he was well aware of the enormity of his task given the mess he inherited from Stubbs. It’s going to take at least a couple of windows and to try and fix this mess, and quite possibly a relegation if we don’t stay in touch until the Jan window this season. We have zero options on either wing and no potent goal threat, and we leak goals at the back. Long long season ahead.

Clearly this shocking result is Stubbs' fault.  Has to go.
Yeah. The damage has already been done. The club are already preparing for life in the championship next season.

Our only hope is Dundee keeping McCann till January but there is no chance of that.

Would take 11th place right now.

On 22/09/2018 at 20:59, Torfason said:

I probably feel most sorry for the manager at this point. He interviewed for a very good job in the summer and got a poisoned chalice a few week later. Stubbs has signed a mixture of duds and players who were no where near fit enough for this level and now someone else has to try and shape them into some sort of a team. January will give Oran a chance to get some players in but in terms of finances unless he can move a lot of players out, his hands are tied. This mess will take a couple of transfer windows to fix and by that time we will likely be back in the Championship.

I just hope Oran is given the time and support to do that.

Spot on.

When JR came in, he was left with the detritus of The Rae and Farrell comedy act and struggled to improve things until he was able to make wholesale changes in January. Even then, the reality is that we survived by a bawhair. We subsequently discovered just how good a manager Ross was, so it is all too apparent how challenging the task was for him when he came in given how hard he had to work to turn it round.

Arguably Kearney finds himself in an even tougher situation. The level of football is miles ahead of what JR had to contend with, and I would suggest the standard of players OK currently has at his disposal isn't a significant improvement over what JR inherited.

It spoke volumes for me on Saturday when a guy sitting behind me commented that the team that saved us from relegation to League 1 in 2017 would probably defeat that which lined up against Hamilton. Difficult to argue with that.

Whilst not giving up hope (albeit that is exactly what kills you), I'm prepared for the worst this season. Sadly, that is Stubbs' legacy.

We knew it was going to be very tough this season, so no-one should be wailing and wringing their hands over the position we are in. I intend to go along at the weekend and support my team as I did on Saturday. It might be painful viewing, but we can count ourselves fortunate to have experienced the highs recently, so shouldn't greet too much when we have to endure the lows.

COYS.

Edited by Drooper

We currently have a striker on trial with international experience, he’s played at a very decent level down south and has a very decent goal scoring record.

Hopefully he’s got a decent level of fitness and not another who won’t get a gig because he’s not done a pre season.

4 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

We currently have a striker on trial with international experience, he’s played at a very decent level down south and has a very decent goal scoring record.

Hopefully he’s got a decent level of fitness and not another who won’t get a gig because he’s not done a pre season.

Fingers crossed. We need someone to play alongside Cammy. The wee man is class but he needs a proper partner. Mullen is a workhorse but is not the right fit for Smith. I would like to get the view of Oran on the potential of Heaton etc. 

25 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Sounds promising.