The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

57 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I wonder if Brock-Madsen is injured or has Brian Rice advised OK that he’s miles away from what we need up front. I guess we’ll find out if any of the free agent strikers on trial get a deal.

He seemingly had a virus last week. 

8 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

St Mirren fans on Facebook make me fuckin despair.

5 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I had to leave the two St Mirren Fans pages. It was just torture. If it wasn't moaning it was constant any tickets/buses etc or reposting the same news about 6 times. :lol::lol:

The very same reason I unfollowed those groups.

Don’t understand the appointment and role of Gus. Just seems like pissing money away which should be used to improve the squad.
If it all goes tits up with Kearney, you can bet Gus will be straight in as manager. Jobs for the boys type stuff.
I think GS and TF simply don't have enough time to oversee the footballing aspect of the club and as such things got away from them with the last manager. Gus is someone who is very experienced in Scottish football and has the complete trust of the Chairman so I think he will be a really good resource for both the manager and the Chairman. His role will be very much in the background.

5 minutes ago, Torfason said:
19 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:
Don’t understand the appointment and role of Gus. Just seems like pissing money away which should be used to improve the squad.
If it all goes tits up with Kearney, you can bet Gus will be straight in as manager. Jobs for the boys type stuff.

I think GS and TF simply don't have enough time to oversee the footballing aspect of the club and as such things got away from them with the last manager. Gus is someone who is very experienced in Scottish football and has the complete trust of the Chairman so I think he will be a really good resource for both the manager and the Chairman. His role will be very much in the background.

Very much this.

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

I think the idea is that Gus would potentially be our caretaker every time we are between managers. It will ensure continuity and help to avoid the kind of clusterfuck we have witnessed this summer.

If Gus is good at this and performs well, he's got a job for life. Why sacrifice that to be a manager again?

I'm not a fan of Gus , but it what it is. I just hope there's a clear line between his (Gus) duties and OK's. After the last few months,  the last thing we need are more character clashes. Hopefully he'll be very much in the background. 

Gus just happens to be a divisive figure for St Mirren supporters. As such, we are inevitably conflating two aspects of this appointment - the creation of the new TD post, and Gus getting the gig.

I'm a bit confused as to what the purpose of the post is in a club that is the size of St Mirren. That's not to say that it won't be worthwhile and helpful to both the BoD and the manager, and that is something that we might never be clear about. I imagine Gus wouldn't have taken the job if all it entailed was hanging about like a bad smell. I wonder if he will be interviewed for the OS/in the press about, or whether the club will be keeping it all a bit backstage and low key.

On Gus himself, I wonder what specifically qualifies him for the job. He does seem to be respected by players, and has been around for a long time. I think I read somewhere that he had quite a broad remit at Queens Park, so maybe that has been taken into account. They certainly seem sorry to lose him, so we can assume he was valued at that club.

I'm happy to shelve my scepticism on this one. That would change, however, if our new manager is not afforded the opportunity to do things his way.

I don’t think it matters to some of our fans that Gus will or won’t be capable of carrying out his new role,as TD at the club. For some reason there seems to be an agenda against Gus, with a section of fans who have already made up their minds that he will undermine Oran Kearney and step into his job. It’s all a conspiracy don’t you know.

33 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I don’t think it matters to some of our fans that Gus will or won’t be capable of carrying out his new role,as TD at the club. For some reason there seems to be an agenda against Gus, with a section of fans who have already made up their minds that he will undermine Oran Kearney and step into his job. It’s all a conspiracy don’t you know.

I spoke to somebody lastnight and I asked would gus have any say In team selection, the reply was “no chance”.

He will be watching opposing teams and I believe he will have a lot to do in the scouting side of things.