The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

So I'm a little confused, are we brining in Nicholl or Gus, or Nicholl and Gus? I like wee Gus, got a lot of time for him, but I'd say Nicholl has the better contacts and experience.
Has Kearney brought Murphy (his assistant at Coleraine) with him?

No one has been brought over from Coleraine. Rice is still assistant.

The Nicholl thing has just been people putting 2 and 2 together I think. I’d imagine Kearney might fancy Jimmy in more of a coaching role, to replace Jackson.

Gus’ role is completely new.

2 minutes ago, elvis said:

Still trying to get my head around this. What is the problem if Gus is brought back as the T. D. its not the managers job he's getting he's not going to be running team affairs that is clearly O. K. s. Brief 

I can’t get my head round why some of our fans are against Gus as technical director. I was involved with some of the work going on with building the new stadium, always found Gus very approachable and a gent. He’s got a wealth of experience and imho would be an ideal man for the job.

5 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I can’t get my head round why some of our fans are against Gus as technical director. I was involved with some of the work going on with building the new stadium, always found Gus very approachable and a gent. He’s got a wealth of experience and imho would be an ideal man for the job.

I am with you on that got no problem with him whatsoever. 

6 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

He was jaded towards the end of his tenure at the club. I also met with him a few times and that had become increasingly apparent.

Perhaps a different type of role will be more suited to him and will ignite his enthusiasm. If appointed, though, there will no doubt be a split within the support in terms of the reaction and how he is received.

It was ever thus, however.

7 minutes ago, Drooper said:

He was jaded towards the end of his tenure at the club. I also met with him a few times and that had become increasingly apparent.

Perhaps a different type of role will be more suited to him and will ignite his enthusiasm. If appointed, though, there will no doubt be a split within the support in terms of the reaction and how he is received.

It was ever thus, however.

I can only go on my own experience Drew, Gus was always very welcoming when I used to do some work for a company involved as a supplier for the club.

He was a total gent and always made time for a chat about football. 

3 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I can only go on my own experience Drew, Gus was always very welcoming when I used to do some work for a company involved as a supplier for the club.

He was a total gent and always made time for a chat about football. 

Aye, he was always fine with me too. I think it was the right time for us to part ways when he left, though. I couldn't see him achieving much more with the club. Perhaps this new role will offer a different kind of challenge, and will be a good fit.

Gus McPherson was a very good St. Mirren manager. He took us from utter dross to 2nd place, then won the division the following season. I think bringing him in as technical director is a pretty shrewd move, he knows the club and Gordon Scott very well, he'll also have good knowledge of the lower leagues.

I don't really see what there is to complain about here.

Melt down because Gus being brought back in to address the shambles signing policy that happened in the summer is unbelievable. Lessons have been learned now looked to be corrected for the future. Gus was a good manager who became a bit stale towards the end. Ffs that does not make him a bad man. 

The only reason this is an attractive proposition to Gus is because of the summer signings and the amount of centre mids that he could potentially see on the pitch at any one time.
Nothing has been corrected, we haven’t played any games. We’ve only made moves to correct it by appointing a new manager, he could turn out to be shit as well. Time will tell.