The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

He must've been gutted to still be in a job after the loss to us. He'd have been thinking, FFS what do I need to do to get the sack!!

So we were 4-1 down to Hearts at half time and he (allegedly) told last season's players that they should all send their winners' medals to Lewis Morgan, because they were a one-man team.

0wz83q1.gif

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

So we were 4-1 down to Hearts at half time and he (allegedly) told last season's players that they should all send their winners' medals to Lewis Morgan, because they were a one-man team.

0wz83q1.gif

I'd be fuming if I was Harry Davis. Or Gavin Reilly. 

:lol:

Seriously, where are you hearing that?

Just now, Silvio said:

I'd be fuming if I was Harry Davis. Or Gavin Reilly. 

:lol:

Seriously, where are you hearing that?

Several folk have mentioned it on B&WA (and I've just noticed DJC has talked about it above). It may be fictional, but seems to chime nicely with everything else we're hearing.

2 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

:lol: You're at it.

His signing policy revolved around loan signings from your parent club.

That's what I was thinking.  He just signed loads of Celtic fringe players on loan.

Do you know what I find strange? Clearly being a manager is what Stubbs wants to do, there are many other easier (and presumably as well paid) jobs out there he could do instead but he took the decision to get back into management. Yet in doing so he managed to annoy everyone, hammer the established players while bringing in players that were not immediately ready for first team action, then him and his staff failed to drill the defence properly while constantly changing the formation he uses - not once reverting to the formation we played with and won the league last season. For a man who had been out of management for nearly 2 years (interestingly at Rotherham - on the surface - it looks like he has done exactly the same thing and got sacked within a matter of a few months) to come in and so badly misjudge both the playing and the management side is the strange thing. Just what did he think he was trying to achieve?

The biggest disappointment in all this has been the recruitment, because now he is gone those players will still be with us. I have nothing against Kpekawa, Coulson, Brock Madsen et al, and I am sure in the right system with the right management they will be competitive, but the window is now closed and it's clear we have some serious gaps in the squad.  Free players will need to be brought in and I just hope that whoever gets the gig has a better idea of who can and can't play at this level than Stubbs did.

I think most on here (even the "sensible" Hearts fans) might have thought that Stubbs would've at least made a decent fist of things, if perhaps not being spectacular and you know something? I think that was a benchmark most Saints fans would have accepted. What he provided though was an absolute mile away from that.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:
2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:
0wz83q1.gif&key=d8a9bbb1f072ac813db70d79519d04033b72905a3f82206a0fc28547bb7da710

It happened during training a few weeks ago. It led to Stephen McGinn squaring up to Stubbs.

Ah, cheers. 

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm more shocked he knew who Lewis Morgan was. Must have not realised he was a winger and thought he was a centre mid by the number of them he signed! 

I remember hearing a story from someone who worked at the SFA about Stubbs. 

He had only recently been appointed at Hibs and there was a meeting at Hampden (maybe a manager's association meeting) where a few experienced ex-managers' were giving some presentations. Pretty sure Archie Knox was one, can't recall the others.

Anyway, Stubbs waltzed in about 15 minutes late and then when the presentation switched to something about the English Premiership, he piped up that he was the only one in the room qualified to comment as he had coached in the Premiership. Suffice to say, he was roundly despised by almost every single person present and I don't believe that has changed much now.

A loathsome character and is surely emptied at any decent level after two absolute car crashes. From an outsider looking in, signing a number of guys from some rejects academy was never going to end well.

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

3 no? To add to the 3 billion we have. Still my point is, if Morgan was a one man team he could have tried and replaced him...

Edwards and Willock. King is a winger, Jones is a centre back, Kellermann was signed by Jack, and since loaned out.

I think there is every possibility that we did try to replace Morgan. Rumours of Johnston from Celtic were strong around the time of the Killie match, when Stubbs was confident of some big signings. Things obviously didn't materialise for one reason or another, and perhaps he was waiting til later in the window when clubs had sorted their squads to get someone in, but by then the board had lost faith and he was toast...

And on the point of us being a "one man team", it's very possible that was an attempt at motivating players, which it appears backfired spectacularly...

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

0wz83q1.gif

FFS, yep that would do it, loss the dressingroom and you're def on your way out.