The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

I would take him right now he was a leader on the park and sounds like a no nonsense guy. Get him in. 

Was he not quite highly rated at one of his old jobs? 

International break, get Stubbs sacked and give the new guy two weeks to work on things uninterrupted. Seems your best hope. 

I didn't go through to Edinburgh, and instead listened to some of it on radio, then I spotted that Alba had a "as live" replay. I thought I would check out the penalty and our goal and leave it at that, but I ended up watching the whole game. 

I don't think we were anywhere as bad as Preston on the radio suggested. So if people are basing their opinion on that, go watch the game on iPlayer. It's not pretty, I'm certainly not suggesting that, but we offered much more than Preston alluded to. The Hearts penalty was not a penalty. They were all over us for large parts of the game and scored some easy goals but the penalty was not one. They took their foot off the gas, but we at least kept a clean sheet in the second half. Yes, damage was done but still.

If I could sum up the biggest problem we have I'd say it's organisation. Sure the recruitment has been poor, but we just don't look organised. I can forgive managers taking a gamble on the quality of player they bring in, but not to have them drilled properly is just unacceptable. The way that defence played in the first half it's almost as if the option to play 3/5 at the back came late in the day and nobody had practised it in training. Stubbs was a defender, and to have a defence not knowing where they should be is a real problem.

Do I want Stubbs to go? I'll be honest, looking at the alternatives I don't really see an obvious replacement in the wings. I just wish we were well organised, that has to be the baseline, regardless where we end up in the league.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was he not quite highly rated at one of his old jobs? 

International break, get Stubbs sacked and give the new guy two weeks to work on things uninterrupted. Seems your best hope. 

He won’t see the international break.

It amazes me how big a shambles our defence is considering Stubbs was a big, commanding centre-half - but then we had Alex Rae as manager who failed to see what we were crying out for was an aggressive midfielder who ran about kicking folk.

Having to rely on comments on here in terms of the performances as I've only been at the Dumbarton game (and watched Killie on TV). We seem to be an utter shambles and there are no positives to take. As much as Stubbs is to blame for most of our problems, a few of our players need to have a good look at themselves because even if they don't rate the manager they should at least be putting in a shift, which doesn't seem to be happening. If Stubbs goes then do they need to be consulted on the next manager to see if he meets with their approval.

If Stubbs is bin soon, as a few ITK folk seem to be suggesting,  I'd go for McIntyre as a replacement. Didn't want him in the summer but he can't possibly do any worse than Stubbs is managing. Don't rate Caldwell at all and the time to bring in the guy from Ireland was surely the summer, not now. Can't see the likes of Neilson, Goodwin etc having changed their minds since the summer so there's not really anyone else that comes to mind.

I must admit I am not nor ever have been a Stubbs fan as a manager but as already mentioned given our start Celtic Rangers and hearts in our first 5 league games with Aberdeen away thrown in for good measure in the cup he needs to be given the first quarter then it can be looked at. GLS will not get rid this early given the opposition we have played in the league and are about to in our next game. 

19 hours ago, AW saint said:

He has to go now

18 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Get this useless c**t to f**k. 

17 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

He will 100% be gone this week.

I can't remember ever being so despondent even thru the darkest of days, and there are many to choose from over the last 40 years...

I've been called a 'Happy Clapper' for always calling for our previous managers to be given more time, even when on reflection, it clearly wasn't working. 

I can see ZERO positives about Stubbs and his management team.  The squad selection, the shape, the tactical naivety.

The recruitment has been baffling. Not a single bud expects us to be bringing in world up superstars but his activity in the transfer market has consistently weakened the team.  

We are in a far worse state than we were at the tail end of last season.  Last week's performance against Livingston underlined that for all to see.  

Nothing should be done until we have a capable replacement lined up.  Get him to f**k, yes.  But getting the right man in as the next incumbent in the dugout is the most important decision we've made in some time.  Just about anyone would be better than Stubbs.  But better than terrible might not be enough.  

Jim Goodwin is St Mirren minded.  Done good things with a poor side, a capable man manager, a leader with some dig and passion.  I'd be delighted to give him the gig.  If we have to pay significant money to bag Stubbs and co, we'll need someone to motivate and drive the players that we have.

It's about mitigating the damage that Stubbs has done to the club. 

1 hour ago, Knightswoodsaint said:

I must admit I am not nor ever have been a Stubbs fan as a manager but as already mentioned given our start Celtic Rangers and hearts in our first 5 league games with Aberdeen away thrown in for good measure in the cup he needs to be given the first quarter then it can be looked at. GLS will not get rid this early given the opposition we have played in the league and are about to in our next game. 

It's the manner we have lost these games not the fact we got beat. Did you attend the Livingston game not one shoot on target for 90min, second to every ball  ? 

I do not believe the players 'are not putting in a shift'. I think frustration is pissing them off like we all get frustrated at work and pissed off.

Team-work is about man management and if you have no respect for the man in charge and no togetherness in the squad - and considering he has told at least 5 of the current squad they can find a new club - then it is no surprise that there is no togetherness.

Further frustration comes from situations like a high ball coming into the box and an experienced midfielder expects his defender to win the ball so moves into a position to charge forward on the upfield header only for the defender to completely miss the ball so the midfielder has to retreat to help out. Experienced players like McGinn expect people to do a job and there are far too many new and inexperienced players he is having to cover for so that his own game suffers. The experienced players are being let down by trying to do their job as well as cover for the inexperience that surrounds them.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Gilmore tweeting about Jim McIntyre...

Timescale mentioned was this week.  

Seen that this morning, something has to give and it’s pretty much a given that change is coming when our ex chairman is tweeting about a new manager rumour.

20 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Gilmore tweeting about Jim McIntyre...

Timescale mentioned was this week.  

Gilmour is a sweetie wife, who loves a bit of tittle tattle.

That's not to say that he isn't onto something here, but the man who - along with others - appointed Tommy Craig, isn't, for me, best placed to bitch on social media about the managerial situation.

9 minutes ago, Drooper said:

That's not to say that he isn't onto something here, but the man who - along with others - appointed Tommy Craig, isn't, for me, best placed to bitch on social media about the managerial situation.

Ooft that’s a sore one Drew :P

48 minutes ago, Drooper said:

I noticed he didn’t bite to your Tommy Craig reply on twitter either :lol: