The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Biscuits said:
4 minutes ago, Kyle said:
Cammy Smith free to leave St Mirren? Yes please! 

That's the rumour I heard at the game today. Surely not?

That’s what Div is saying on twitter. I’d take him in a heartbeat. 

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

That’s what Div is saying on twitter. I’d take him in a heartbeat. 

Where would he fit? We don't really need another number ten. 

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Where would he fit? We don't really need another number ten. 

I reckon Smith could play deeper. Of the players potentially available Tansey looks a better fit but Smith would be fine too imo. 

35 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I reckon Smith could play deeper. Of the players potentially available Tansey looks a better fit but Smith would be fine too imo. 

Fair play, I only ever remember him as a striker who could play deeper, but I've not seen him play for a long time now. 

Would be perfect timing if he could play in the centre of the park 

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Can he still be an effective striker? If so, we'll take him.

He really is a number 10 rather than an out-and-out striker. He needs people pulling the defence around in front of him and making runs in behind. People like Morgan and Reilly.

Oh it's absolutely true. I heard it today from someone at the game who (given they are a family member of a player) I have no reason whatsoever to doubt.

Cammy was informed of this 'weeks ago' as well.

Stubbs legitimately has to go.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Oh it's absolutely true. I heard it today from someone at the game who (given they are a family member of a player) I have no reason whatsoever to doubt.

Cammy was informed of this 'weeks ago' as well.

Stubbs legitimately has to go.

Jesus wept.  I hoped this was just some trolling. It looks now like Stubbs wants rid of all of Jack's team. Baird on the bench too when those two imposters were on the park.  Can't believe GLS sanctioned this!

I'd have thought when interviewing for a new boss. the club would have been looking for someone that wasn't going to rip up all the old manager's good work? St Mirren fans seemed legitimately excited about the squad Jack Ross had, so you do have to have sympathy for them that a man without a huge track record of league success is happily dismantling it all.

I have pointed at him before but Steve Clarke is the perfect example of the line about a manager needing his own players being nonsense. He took a group who were right in the mix for relegation and turned them into a top six side. I don't know why clubs let a new man come in and axe players that have done well, and that's before even considering who the replacements might be.

10 hours ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I don’t think even Stubbs is stupid enough to tell his best player he can leave, surely that isn’t true? Maybe I’m giving him too much credit though.

It's a strong rumour in twitter that generally means it's true. Basis of the rumour is he needs to free a wage so he can afford Kenny Miller and he's deemed Smith as surplus. 

That was absolutely brutal. How Brock madsen lasted till 80 mins I’ll never know.

Mullen only player with pass marks today. Really hope the rumors about smith aren’t true
Can't fault Mullen for effort but he looked like he had his boots on the wrong feet today

2 hours ago, Radford said:

I'd have thought when interviewing for a new boss. the club would have been looking for someone that wasn't going to rip up all the old manager's good work? St Mirren fans seemed legitimately excited about the squad Jack Ross had, so you do have to have sympathy for them that a man without a huge track record of league success is happily dismantling it all.

I have pointed at him before but Steve Clarke is the perfect example of the line about a manager needing his own players being nonsense. He took a group who were right in the mix for relegation and turned them into a top six side. I don't know why clubs let a new man come in and axe players that have done well, and that's before even considering who the replacements might be.

It's fundamentally broken and a quite ridiculous situation. I honestly cannot believe we are back at this situation already after the success of the last 18 months in galvanising a club that was struggling massively. 

We knew the squad - as it was - would struggle in the Premiership but we had a good base to build on and at least looked like we'd give anyone a game. Really, all he had to do was supplement the majority of the squad with 5 or 6 new faces. A centre half, centre mid, winger, first choice striker, full back cover and a goalie. Guys like Hippolyte and Reilly would have very much done a job as squad players. 

Unfortunately though he seems to be binning everyone or trying to bin them to make a point and it's having massive and obvious issues with the rest of the team who still remain from last season.

There was an open and outward show of defiance when Cammy Smith came on and Stevie McGinn actually went out his way to high five him as he came on the park. For many it was a clear 'f**k you' from club captain to the management...how do you fix that sort of public show of dissent just 10 weeks into a 3 year contract? Do you bin the captain as well? Stephen McGinn is by no means the perfect footballer but the guy is adored by the fans and rightly so. 

We've become experts at spotting a looming crisis over the last 5 years as we've stumbled through 3 or 4 in that time. There is definitely massive issues at the club just now and something will give sooner rather than later. 

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's a strong rumour in twitter that generally means it's true. Basis of the rumour is he needs to free a wage so he can afford Kenny Miller and he's deemed Smith as surplus. 

That's not true. Smith was told he could go before Miller became available. Its only became public knowledge in the last 24 hours. 

Budgetary constraints aren't the issue. Our manager genuinely believes our best attacking player can't play in a 442.

Which is funny as it is compounded by the fact that a guy who made a very good career as a centre half, couldn't spot a decent one for the life of him.