The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, McG said:

More clubs than just us in for Miller.

To be expected.

We should have other irons in the fire anyway. Prior to the beginning of this week, Miller wasn't available, so I'm assuming Stubbs is in the market for at least one other striker before the window closes.

I'm pretty indifferent about Miller, so if he goes elsewhere I certainly won't be wringing my hands over it.

If, however, the window closes and we only have Mullen, NBM, and Cooke as striking options, I fear I'll dislocate my wrists with all the hand-wringing, and someone will have to assist me in my Pampers changes:(

20 minutes ago, McG said:

You'd expect he'd go to whoever tells him he'll be first choice. Can't see any other top flight club, Livingston and Hamilton aside, who'd offer that. You should outbid both them. 

24 minutes ago, McG said:

Got to say, I said there would be the minute he was sacked/linked with us. I wouldn't be too disappointed to miss out.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You'd expect he'd go to whoever tells him he'll be first choice. Can't see any other top flight club, Livingston and Hamilton aside, who'd offer that. You should outbid both them. 

Tell you what, and considering the job Wright did with McLean I wouldn't be surprised to see you lot sniffing around him.

Edited by Buddist Monk

8 minutes ago, Drooper said:

To be expected.

We should have other irons in the fire anyway. Prior to the beginning of this week, Miller wasn't available, so I'm assuming Stubbs is in the market for at least one other striker before the window closes.

I'm pretty indifferent about Miller, so if he goes elsewhere I certainly won't be wringing my hands over it.

If, however, the window closes and we only have Mullen, NBM, and Cooke as striking options, I fear I'll dislocate my wrists with all the hand-wringing, and someone will have to assist me in my Pampers changes:(

Isn't that the norm?:P

5 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Tell you what, and considering the job Wright did with McLean I wouldn't be surprised to see you lot sniffing around him.

He wouldn't survive in our dressing room, folk like him never do. 

We don't have the budget for another striker. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He wouldn't survive in our dressing room, folk like him never do. 

We don't have the budget for another striker. 

How has Watt been doing for you? I had been hoping we would of been in for him over the summer.

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

Now you see if you had just timed Davidson's exit you could have recruited yourself a coach and a striker.

I wouldn't want him anywhere near us, tbh. I doubt he'd mix well with Tommy Wright either.

56 minutes ago, McG said:

How has Watt been doing for you? I had been hoping we would of been in for him over the summer.

A revelation. Still isnt fully fit but has looked the most exciting striker we've had since May/Sandaza. Saturday gone he scored a poachers tap in, set up a goal by beating two men at close quarters and cutting the ball back, then scored another by befuddling another marker and curling it in the corner.

17 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Mate I'm 100% behind the team and Alan Stubbs. Have never in my life booooed a St Mirren team or player. Rangers game we were not good. Aberdeen game we were shocking did not try. That's me being critical hope you don't mind. E-mail from the 1877 club suggesting a new player will be in for Saturday. 

I've agreed we were very poor in those games. My point is that any sort of clause in Stubbs contract won't be able to be invoked any time soon - no manager would sign a deal which gave him no time to do the job. 

Would be nice if the fans gave him - as well as the team - their support in Saturday, new player or not. 

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

If you believe Livingston then Miller did exactly that.

In general I agree with you and I'm not suggesting Stubbs has any such clauses.

Reported as agreeing to mutually terminate the contract from what I've read, meaning both sides agreed to tear it up. Any clause that allows the club to sack you after a couple of months in the job without extreme circumstances would never be agreed to by any manager.

ETA: A clause that allows the club to sack the manager without substantial compensation, that should read.

Edited by Soctty

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

Reported as agreeing to mutually terminate the contract from what I've read, meaning both sides agreed to tear it up. Any clause that allows the club to sack you after a couple of months in the job without extreme circumstances would never be agreed to by any manager.

ETA: A clause that allows the club to sack the manager without substantial compensation, that should read.

Yeah, I mean it all depends on who you want to believe. Miller claiming he was forced out, the fans claiming he was kicked out for being shit, or the board who claim it was a clause in his contract.

Honestly? I reckon there is a relegation clause in Stubbs' contract, or at the very least a drop in his wages should the worst happen.

57 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Yeah, I mean it all depends on who you want to believe. Miller claiming he was forced out, the fans claiming he was kicked out for being shit, or the board who claim it was a clause in his contract.

Honestly? I reckon there is a relegation clause in Stubbs' contract, or at the very least a drop in his wages should the worst happen.

In all coaching staff and players alike normal procedure.