The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

He's on R Scotland right now talking about the game. What a fucking wallopper...  

Things are bad, but there may be some positives from today.  It's abundantly clear that this season is all about survival.  No cup runs to take the players eye off the task at hand.  Got to look at 10th or bust.  

Losing 4 goals will always be a sore one, but f**k sake...  Having to listen to Willie Miller spouting pish is almost as unpleasant.   

9 minutes ago, blackislekillie said:

He's getting worse. Time he was bagged along with Chic Young.

I know we were shit, but he is paid to be impartial. Even before the game he was insufferable with his arrogance, then rather than commentating he just spoke entirely as the ex-Aberdeen manager not a pundit, and Gordon in the studio does nothing to dampen it - which being an Aberdeen fan he's not likely to.

20 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I know we were shit, but he is paid to be impartial. Even before the game he was insufferable with his arrogance, then rather than commentating he just spoke entirely as the ex-Aberdeen manager not a pundit, and Gordon in the studio does nothing to dampen it - which being an Aberdeen fan he's not likely to.

His only saving grace is that the aulder he gets the more he looks like Mr Macawber.

2 hours ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Don’t think it can be overstated how much we’re missing Harry Davis, probably even more than Morgan. We are so fragile in defence.

I wouldn’t even call it a defence, horrific.

Don’t think it can be overstated how much we’re missing Harry Davis, probably even more than Morgan. We are so fragile in defence.
Can see Baird getting stick like Cheesy but he certainly isn't the weak link in that partnership. His fellow 'centre back' giving up for the 3rd goal was a disgrace.

Coulson isn't a left back. Smith and Mullen aren't wingers. Not sure punting Stewart for the current target man was a great idea either.

Why set up so narrow to give Mackay Stevens the freedom to run riot? Everyone knows width is Aberdeen's main strength.

Our season isn't defined by trips to Ibrox and Pittodrie but the last 2 games have been a disgrace.

I must be in the minority here but Baird for me is nowhere near good enough for this level. As are one or two others. Stubbs has to sort out this squad pronto or we are heading back to the championship in jig time.
Wouldn't want to throw Baird in at the deep end at this level because he is still developing, he done well last season but obviously still has errors in him.

It is worrying. Riding on the feel good factor is turning into lets hope Livi/Dundee/Hamilton are shitter than us.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

I must be in the minority here but Baird for me is nowhere near good enough for this level. As are one or two others. Stubbs has to sort out this squad pronto or we are heading back to the championship in jig time.

Baird is much better when playing alongside an experienced defender who can lead and organise. Playing him next to another inexperienced defender is a recipe for disaster. We desperately need a centre half and full back cover before the season starts, the squad is very unbalanced at the moment. 

Next Saturday is a massive game already, need to get a win to try & lift the morale.

The player recruitment has been a disaster, Stubbs has wasted our budget on players that are simply not good enough.

Really need a few quality signings in before the end of the transfer window but based on what we’ve seen so far, I have no confidence Stubbs can pull it off.

10 minutes ago, Stevie88 said:

Next Saturday is a massive game already, need to get a win to try & lift the morale.

The player recruitment has been a disaster, Stubbs has wasted our budget on players that are simply not good enough.

Really need a few quality signings in before the end of the transfer window but based on what we’ve seen so far, I have no confidence Stubbs can pull it off.

I also wonder what quality is still available at this stage.  I'm expecting some more loan signings.

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

Baird is much better when playing alongside an experienced defender who can lead and organise. Playing him next to another inexperienced defender is a recipe for disaster. We desperately need a centre half and full back cover before the season starts, the squad is very unbalanced at the moment. 

Not having this "Baird is better when he has an experienced defender next to him".  He's 22, he's played 100 games or so for us. He should be more than capable and be able to organise himself. He's making basic errors, unrelated to his playing partner which isn't a good sign. 

Harry Davis going is a massive loss and we haven't replaced him with quality, although Jones looked decent. 

Today I felt one of the many issues was the FBs are getting exposed by the lack of width in the team. Last year our wide men came back and helped our FBs. GMS had the freedom of the park and Coulson was hung out to dry. Who was in front of him? Mullen- a striker, or Magennis who was playing narrow. Wrong formation, and exposes the issue that we haven't replaced Morgan or got any wide mids/wingers.

The disappointing thing is that it's all so obvious. The things that failed on Saturday are the very points I've been making for weeks, but I'd rather they were addressed rather me sitting here going "I tOlD yOu So!" all the time.

I'm not going to hold up the Aberdeen game as an example of where it's all going wrong, as I thought we were going to lose up there anyway. I've rarely seen a good performance from us at Pittodrie. I'm not sure what Stubbs is thinking by blaming the players, because these are the players he brought in or is playing in the wrong position in a formation that neither suited the team nor combatted Aberdeen's tactics. Could the players have done better? Sure, yes, of course they could but that's not really the point. They didn't and Stubbs really should have seen it happening and made changes to address it.

Edited by Buddist Monk

9 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Not having this "Baird is better when he has an experienced defender next to him".  He's 22, he's played 100 games or so for us. He should be more than capable and be able to organise himself. He's making basic errors, unrelated to his playing partner which isn't a good sign. 

Harry Davis going is a massive loss and we haven't replaced him with quality, although Jones looked decent. 

Today I felt one of the many issues was the FBs are getting exposed by the lack of width in the team. Last year our wide men came back and helped our FBs. GMS had the freedom of the park and Coulson was hung out to dry. Who was in front of him? Mullen- a striker, or Magennis who was playing narrow. Wrong formation, and exposes the issue that we haven't replaced Morgan or got any wide mids/wingers.

Baird's played over 100 games, which is a decent amount for a player of his age. Kpekawa is the same age and played about a quarter of the amount of games Baird has  and for about half a dozen clubs. It's an important position and Jack Baird is the more experienced player by quite a distance.  He's had to go from the junior partner in a pairing to the leader in the space of a close season. I also think Baird is often made a scapegoat. He cost us the first goal against Rangers, later in the game McGinn made a worse mistake when he got caught in possession on the 18 yard line. Samson saved the resulting shot so it doesn't get mentioned. 

I think he's got the attributes to be a decent centre half, he's strong, pretty pacy, and good in the air (same with Kpekawa actually)  but we need a leader and organiser in there and neither of them are that at the moment.

Baird definitely isn’t a scapegoat. Time and time again he is caught sleeping and out of position.

He’s certainly not the only one in that 11 that isn’t good enough - but deserves criticism like the other ones who are costing us