The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Tell you what, if he drops McGinn he'd better hope the results go for him as I can't imagine the support will happy. For me he's been our most consistent player over the last 18 months and you can talk all you want about Morgan, Smith or Reilly but the bottom line for me is that without him in that team, we wouldn't have got promoted.

We seem to be drifting back towards a lot of negativity towards Stubbs. Which I really don’t understand. I’m not sure what a lot of our support are expecting - despite the money for mcginn we still aren’t well off and can’t be splashing out cash right, left and centre.

Most of our signings will be, to some extent, a gamble.

Not sure if anyone watched the hearts - Celtic game on Saturday but hearts had a guy playing in their midfield who was previously playing in the Austrian second division. Can’t mind his name but he was outstanding - man of the match. The gems are out there but I think you need a certain amount of luck to find them.

Now Stubbs is being criticised for not signing Liam smith - don’t get me wrong he was very good for us in the championship but he is very young and maybe not what we are looking for right now. Let’s just get behind AS and see how it goes.

All the criticism and negativity aren’t helping anyone. 3 points against Livvy and we have made a very good start to the season.

11 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Tell you what, if he drops McGinn he'd better hope the results go for him as I can't imagine the support will happy. For me he's been our most consistent player over the last 18 months and you can talk all you want about Morgan, Smith or Reilly but the bottom line for me is that without him in that team, we wouldn't have got promoted.

Without McGinn in the team, we would have been relegated to League One.

31 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

We seem to be drifting back towards a lot of negativity towards Stubbs. Which I really don’t understand. I’m not sure what a lot of our support are expecting - despite the money for mcginn we still aren’t well off and can’t be splashing out cash right, left and centre

There will always be knicker wetters, as there are happy clappers. Now I've been broadly supportive of him but of the purchases three are not ready for this level (Heaton, Cooke and King), one is playing out of position (Coulson) and the other is short of match fitness (Kpekawa). We've failed to win against much lower league opposition in Spartans and Queens Park and got extremely lucky against Dundee.

As I say I've been supportive, but if you wanted to make a case for the knicker wetters you could do so pretty easily. If you add in dropping McGinn, and we don't know for sure that's in his plans, then he's simply causing himself problems rather than being unfairly targeted.

Edited by Buddist Monk

Of course Stubbs deserves our backing. I don't think there has been too much negativity since the dust settled over the Spartans and Queens Park debacles.

Let's face it, his judgment in terms of a few players has been questionable, or so it would seem based on early evidence, but then that is often the case with new managers. It was certainly the case with Danny Lennon, but he clearly learned from those mistakes.

Stubbs will hopefully realise that he misjudged a few of his early signings and will kick on. In the meantime, I'm happy to back him, albeit I'm not running over with enthusiasm for now.

Really high expectations for a wee club. Shame.
It's because we are a wee team that we have these expectations......... like if you spend £75K on a defender then he should be one of the first names on the team sheet [emoji14]

2 hours ago, Biscuits said:

We seem to be drifting back towards a lot of negativity towards Stubbs. Which I really don’t understand. I’m not sure what a lot of our support are expecting - despite the money for mcginn we still aren’t well off and can’t be splashing out cash right, left and centre.

Most of our signings will be, to some extent, a gamble.

Not sure if anyone watched the hearts - Celtic game on Saturday but hearts had a guy playing in their midfield who was previously playing in the Austrian second division. Can’t mind his name but he was outstanding - man of the match. The gems are out there but I think you need a certain amount of luck to find them.

Now Stubbs is being criticised for not signing Liam smith - don’t get me wrong he was very good for us in the championship but he is very young and maybe not what we are looking for right now. Let’s just get behind AS and see how it goes.

All the criticism and negativity aren’t helping anyone. 3 points against Livvy and we have made a very good start to the season.

That's a fair post. I think people's issue with Stubbs comes from him moving on players like Reilly, and telling others they have no future, like Eckersley and MacKenzie, without bringing in better players.

If the players he brings in do him a job and are indeed better than those he moved on then no one will question him. At the moment his signings don't look better.

All that said, it's early doors and players will take time to adjust to different surroundings. My own feelings are that he has been a bit hasty in telling players they have no future.

12 hours ago, houston_bud said:

That's a fair post. I think people's issue with Stubbs comes from him moving on players like Reilly, and telling others they have no future, like Eckersley and MacKenzie, without bringing in better players.

If the players he brings in do him a job and are indeed better than those he moved on then no one will question him. At the moment his signings don't look better.

All that said, it's early doors and players will take time to adjust to different surroundings. My own feelings are that he has been a bit hasty in telling players they have no future.

There was plenty of time for Reilly to sign, but he/his agent decided to play the waiting game to see what else happened.  As much as I'm a bit underwhelmed by some of Stubbs signings, he was totally correct to withdraw the offer. And surprise surprise, as soon as it's withdrawn, Reilly is in the papers saying he was desperate to sign !

There was plenty of time for Reilly to sign, but he/his agent decided to play the waiting game to see what else happened.  As much as I'm a bit underwhelmed by some of Stubbs signings, he was totally correct to withdraw the offer. And surprise surprise, as soon as it's withdrawn, Reilly is in the papers saying he was desperate to sign !

Spot on.

Reilly or his agent were waiting for a better offer or they would have signed the deal weeks prior to Stubbs coming in.

I remember the same happened with John Potter, in fact here is the link https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/13401629 .

Problem for Stubbs is he has no affiliation with the club and he has got some really big shoes to fill. For example if Goodwin was the manager 99% of the fans would be right behind him, Stubbs has to win over a certain percentage.

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

Disagree Stubbs knows how important McGinn is going by comments on  interviews. Stubbs is building his own  team that he will swim or sink by . 

At times McGinn has carried the team, for example the fight back against Spartans but on more than one occasion Stubbs has said that he needs more from him. 

From that I view it as him saying that he needs to improve. 

1 hour ago, monthelie' said:

I think that's a side issue though. Stubbs told our top scorer he wasn't wanted without a replacement lined up.  

I was trying to explain why I think there has been criticism of Stubbs, moving players on without having replacements for them is a reason why I think he has been criticised.

I think that's a side issue though. Stubbs told our top scorer he wasn't wanted without a replacement lined up.  
I was trying to explain why I think there has been criticism of Stubbs, moving players on without having replacements for them is a reason why I think he has been criticised.
Thats a good point too.

He was harshly accused of ripping up a title winning team but a lot of the players were on loan, retired, and in general wouldn't be good enough for the top league.