The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

If I've followed the relevant bread crumb trail then I believe Ricardo Bagadur is the player we have on trial.

22, defender, Croatian, spent pretty much his entire career on loan with (if Wikipedia is correct) his most productive spell coming during his time at Salerno quite some distance down the leagues in Italy. Again according to Wiki, he's played no competitive games since.

Edited by Buddist Monk

5 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

If I've followed the relevant bread crumb trail then I believe Ricardo Bagadur is the player we have on trial.

22, defender, Croatian, spent pretty much his entire career on loan with (if Wikipedia is correct) his most productive spell coming during his time at Salerno quite some distance down the leagues in Italy. Again according to Wiki, he's played no competitive games since.

That means we will  sign him for sure.

Liam Smith was good for us in a league where we were mostly on the front foot and he got to do a lot of attacking, but I'm not sure he's what we need now, especially with Coulson already in the team. There were a few times last season where Smith went to pieces a wee bit defensively, so though I'd have been happy enough to see him back, I can see why Stubbs maybe doesn't fancy him, and nor did any other managers in the Premiership by the looks of it. McGinn has been good as well.

Smith should do well for Ayr though. They look dark horses for the championship this season.

25 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

It’s not him we are signing in the next day or 2.

41 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Careful there elvis, he might actually turn out to be decent for this level. I'm sure you wouldn't want to risk supporting the team with a positive statement, now would you? ;)

God no cant be having that.

44 minutes ago, GAD said:

Liam Smith was good for us in a league where we were mostly on the front foot and he got to do a lot of attacking, but I'm not sure he's what we need now, especially with Coulson already in the team. There were a few times last season where Smith went to pieces a wee bit defensively, so though I'd have been happy enough to see him back, I can see why Stubbs maybe doesn't fancy him, and nor did any other managers in the Premiership by the looks of it. McGinn has been good as well.

Smith should do well for Ayr though. They look dark horses for the championship this season.

Coulson and Smith played on opposite sides.  

McGinn is better than Smith though, we have defo upgraded, he's been one of our best players so far id say. He was solid against both Dundee and against Rangers and has a decent number of assists already.

We do need cover there though.

1 minute ago, MarreZ said:

Coulson and Smith played on opposite sides.  

McGinn is better than Smith though, we have defo upgraded, he's been one of our best players so far id say. He was solid against both Dundee and against Rangers and has a decent number of assists already.

We do need cover there though.

I know, I was more meaning we already have a very attacking fullback so would prefer the one on the other side to be a bit more conservative and solid. Eckersley balanced Smith out a bit last season.

I don't think Smith would want to come as cover.

1 minute ago, McG said:

Tough tackling midfielder for a bit of steel in the middle of the park would be very handy.

Not as handy as a bit creativity. :lol: 

In all honesty though, another central midfielder along with the rumoured Polworth signing will surely see at least two departing midfielders.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not as handy as a bit creativity. :lol:

We need a hard b*****d in the middle. We got away with it for the most part last season but struggled against the more physical teams.

This season will be even tougher in that respect, so a tempered thug would be a good acquisition.

5 minutes ago, Drooper said:

We need a hard b*****d in the middle. We got away with it for the most part last season but struggled against the more physical teams.

This season will be even tougher in that respect, so a tempered thug would be a good acquisition.

Fair enough but we have McGinn, Magennis, Flynn, Kellermann, McShane, Erhahon, Kirkpartick, Willock and MacPherson who are all centre mids.

We are also linked heavily with Polworth (albeit with McShane going the other way).

So who else is going to give? Is this a wee Gus special of sign as many central mids as possible and give everyone a shot?

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Fair enough but we have McGinn, Magennis, Flynn, Kellermann, McShane, Erhahon, Kirkpartick, Willock and MacPherson who are all centre mids.

It's not worth arguing over, but I wouldn't say Flynn or Kirkpatrick are central players, although I'm sure both can play there. I doubt Erhahon is getting anywhere near the team, Stubbs pretty much said so himself on Sportsound.

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We are also linked heavily with Polworth (albeit with McShane going the other way).

So who else is going to give? Is this a wee Gus special of sign as many central mids as possible and give everyone a shot?

Aye, I also made the Gus analogy elsewhere, but still feel we are a bit lightweight in the middle.

If McGinn were to be injured or suspended, we have no steel at all in there.

I agree that it possibly isn't the most pressing priority, but like to believe that Stubbs is also looking at the other key areas in addition to this.

Edited by Drooper