The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, callum-ayr said:

He’ll be first choice right back I would imagine, just need someone to cover left back for the Dunfermline match next week. I would imagine a loan unless Hearts have agreed to release him. Seems to be the missing piece of the jigsaw for our squad.

I've done it again, for some reason I continue to think that Liam Smith is a left back despite watching an entire season of us where he never played a single minute on the left.

Can he cover? No idea. Is he an great addition as a right back to a championship club, most certainly.

I had heard Hearts were willing to let him go permanently, so maybe not just a loan?

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

He’ll be first choice right back I would imagine, just need someone to cover left back for the Dunfermline match next week. I would imagine a loan unless Hearts have agreed to release him. Seems to be the missing piece of the jigsaw for our squad.

Adam Eckersley our left back from last season is available. Stubbs has made it clear he won’t be involved and has told him he’s free to find another club. Having two really good full backs like Smith and Eck last season played a huge part in our success in walking to the title.

We have Daniel Harvie who signed a 2 year deal from Aberdeen aw our first choice left back and young 16 year old Finn Ecrepont as back up, but is highly rated and with the Scotland U17s. Our budget is tight so wouldn’t imagine we’d be in for Eckersley. Smith will be take over from Andy Geggan at right back who has been struggling with injury the last 10 months.

If permanent that would be brilliant.

4 minutes ago, McG said:

Liam Smith would be back at St.Mirren now but Stubbs doesn’t rate him.

He's the manager so I suppose that's just the way it goes.

I would love to know why though, as watching him for a season I had no doubts he could step up to the next level. It would be interesting to see whether it's something specific about the player or if it's a general dislike.

Edited by Buddist Monk

7 minutes ago, McG said:

Liam Smith would be back at St.Mirren now but Stubbs doesn’t rate him.

Based on what, you would have to wonder?

Given what would appear to be the standard of some of the players Stubbs does rate, I can't help but worry about his judgement.

8 minutes ago, btb said:

Paul McGinns been decent so far - RB is not a priority position atm

Agreed, but we will definitely need cover/competition in that position. In saying that, I understand that we might have a player in on trial just now who can play either CH or RB.

3 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Agreed, but we will definitely need cover/competition in that position. In saying that, I understand that we might have a player in on trial just now who can play either CH or RB.

I'd contend that we need another dedicated CH, along with anyone who can play CH & RB. I am not convinced at all with a pairing of Baird/Kpekawa/Heaton.

3 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I'd contend that we need another dedicated CH, along with anyone who can play CH & RB. I am not convinced at all with a pairing of Baird/Kpekawa/Heaton.

Jack looks the best of the three just now, but needs a solid, preferably experienced player beside him.

37 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Based on what, you would have to wonder?

Given what would appear to be the standard of some of the players Stubbs does rate, I can't help but worry about his judgement.

Exactly. How much of Liam Smith has Stubbs actually seen? As others have said I'm not sure it's a priority position but seems strange that Stubbs just doesn't rate him. Hopefully he finds a club soon as he's a good young player and needs to be playing. 

I can totally see why he'd sign a 1 year deal but I'm not sure if that is better for you than a loan. You still have the risk he'll be off after that year and in turn you have to pay him full wages. On a loan deal you still had that risk but paid less for it.

That said, I don't wish to muddy the waters in any way. No matter how you slice it, and if he plays as well as he did for us, then that is an excellent bit of business for you.

Is anyone clear who Stubbs does actually rate? :huh:
Stubbs must think Jack Ross was a complete clown [emoji23].
Exactly. How much of Liam Smith has Stubbs actually seen? As others have said I'm not sure it's a priority position but seems strange that Stubbs just doesn't rate him. Hopefully he finds a club soon as he's a good young player and needs to be playing. 

Smith wasn't at the Vardy Academy so he certainly isn't good enough.