The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 hours ago, Spam_Valley said:

I believe Cammy Smith could get a game for anyone in the Premiership outside Celtic. He'd probably be excellent in a Celtic side with top players around him. For me, he was our POTY last season and as Morgan got all of the plaudits, Cammy flew under the radar somewhat. 

We are so lucky to have Stevie McGinn he could walk into most teams also. 

24 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

5 players, according to Stubbs on Sportsound last night. It also seems that Beltrame was the fabled "marquee" signing going by what he said.

The only question I have is...

Is a diamond a girl's best friend?

5 players what? Still to arrive? 

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

5 players what? Still to arrive? 

That's what he said last night. Without the McGinn money he'd be looking at 1 or 2, but with it he could be looking at 3 to 5. David Currie (a St Mirren fan) then went on to say that Saints fans will be rejoicing him saying 5 players and Stubbs didn't correct him by saying "it might still just be 2 or 3".

The show was quite funny, they had a quick Q&A which provided little as he handled them all with a straight bat, but when giving the predictions Scott MacDonald gave a 3-0 scoreline in the studio and the banter from Stubbs was pretty decent.

I like that Stubbs is as talkative as Ross.

Edited by Buddist Monk

8 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

That's what he said last night. Without the McGinn money he's be looking at 1 or 2, but with it he could be looking at 3 to 5. David Currie (a St Mirren fan) then went on to say that Saints fans will be rejoicing him saying 5 players and Stubbs didn't correct him by saying "it might still just be 2 or 3".

The show was quite funny, they had a quick Q&A which provided little as he handled them all with a straight bat, but when giving the predictions Scott MacDonald gave a 3-0 scoreline in the studio and the banter from Stubbs was pretty decent.

I like that Stubbs is as talkative as Ross.

Definitely interesting. 

I never expected as many as 5 still to come, even with the McGinn cash. I dare say that's also on the basis that another 3 or 4 are also going to leave. I'd have thought a winger, centre forward and central mid (if the Polworth for McShane rumour holds water) were going to be the players arriving. 

If he's saying 5 though, I'd imagine centre half and right back cover on top of that too which would give us a very healthy squad indeed. 

I like that the new Danish guy has more or less publicly courted Greg Stewart to come and join him after Stewart recommended the move to him. That would be a top but of business and one that might have become slightly more likely now that there are extra funds available. 

He never explicitly said that others had to leave before more came in, but then he wasn't pushed too hard on it. The conversation came more from them discussing the McGinn move and what effect it's had on Celtic and Hibs.

I was surprised at "5" too. Now we should temper ourselves a little, as he claimed a "marquee" before and to be honest I don't see Beltrame as being anywhere near "marquee". Still it's certainly positive that he's talking transfers without him also discussing transfer budget limitations (ie: one in, one out).

He did go on to hint it being unlikely he'll get all the cash, and that also ties into the idea that we might look to expand/upgrade areas of the stadium with some of the money.

18 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

He never explicitly said that others had to leave before more came in, but then he wasn't pushed too hard on it. 

He did go on to hint it being unlikely he'll get all the cash

He may not have said that explicitly but I think that he'll mostly know who is definitely going and who is highly likely to go and will be at least partly basing the figure on that. 

I agree he won't get all the cash and nor should he. We'd be crazy to spunk it in the oner. I'm all for giving him some extra funds to bring in a couple of good quality signings but definitely not overstretching. 

19 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Stubbs said he’d ideally like 5 but he’s yet to talk to the board about how much money he will get to spend. It’s still all up in the air. Hopefully Eckersley out and Liam Smith in is one of the changes.

I don't remember the "ideally" quantifier, but it does sound like something Stubbs would say.

For some reason the weekday Sportsound never gets uploaded to iPlayer: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bdlm2d

So, positives..

Brock Madsen seemed like he'll be a handful, Mullen put in a shift even though he was moved out of position, Willock continues to impress, Coulson is looking good.

2-0 is not the worst result we could have left Ibrox with, and there didn't seem a lack of effort for the most part.

5 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

So, positives..

Brock Madsen seemed like he'll be a handful, Mullen put in a shift even though he was moved out of position, Willock continues to impress, Coulson is looking good.

2-0 is not the worst result we could have left Ibrox with, and there didn't seem a lack of effort for the most part.

Just to add more players still to arrive. We can only improve

53 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Can see Danny Mullen proving a few folk wrong this season, myself included.

Surely we are not going to give Rangers the family stand after what happened yesterday? Cut them down to 1 and take the financial hit we budgeted for.

I think as a collective we need to email Gordon Scott and the SLO outlining this. It goes everything we are trying to do as a football club.

Shall we talk defence?

I like Baird, his form drifted at times in the Championship but overall he was pretty solid. He had Davis and MacKenzie in there though to keep him right. With one of those gone and the other either injured or going out the door, I think we need to look at getting in a commanding defender in there.

Kpekawa seems to be coming onto a game and I think there is more to come. Heaton however I really don't know where he's at. For all I've seen of him he's looked OK'ish but it seems he's quite some distance from the level we need. That's fine, if that means there is room for improvement, but it doesn't address the now.

Not sure what MacKenzie's position is in all of this. I'm loathe to suggest that bring him in and all our problems will be resolved, but I do think he'd add leadership to a defence that at this moment is just young lads; Baird (22), Kpekawa (22), Heaton (21). That's not to say young guys can't defend, just that it's a position improved greatly by experience.

Whether Stubbs is looking at this area of the field, and what sort of player he'd go for (and whether on loan or a full deal) I just don't know.

One other thing to mention is Liam Smith. I don't know what the situation is for him. The English leagues have closed although lower league ones can bring in loan signings and free agents so while I don't think Hearts will release him they could loan him. I'm surprised other Premiership teams haven't had a sniff, especially as it looks he has no long term future at Hearts. He played well in the Championship and certainly looked capable of playing at this level. You would expect him to have a bit of a soft spot for the club considering he'll have a winner's medal from last season.

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Can see Danny Mullen proving a few folk wrong this season, myself included.

Surely we are not going to give Rangers the family stand after what happened yesterday? Cut them down to 1 and take the financial hit we budgeted for.

We've budgeted for the financial gain. If we reverse that decision now, we need to revise our budget and eat into the McGinn money which makes no business sense at all.

And while football clubs should not be run as a business, if we take the financial hit, we're increasing the likelihood of taking a huge on in May by being relegated again.