The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

My fear is not our midfield matching up as i think our middle 3 are as good as any if not better. However our defence worries me greatly. 

I realise that we've had success with the narrow 4-4-2 and it might work for also-rans like Dundee or lower league opposition like Dumbarton, but I really cannot see that working at Ibrox. I can see Stubbs shifting to 1 up front and possibly a 5 midfield or 4 with one acting as cover for a back 4. We could play 5 at the back, but only just, the idea of a back 3 of Baird, Kpekawa and Heaton would give me nightmares although it's fair to say that Coulson and McGinn would probably do quite well as more attacking wing backs.

I do think we will need to press them, @Demented Zebra is right in the sense that if we sit back and try and absorb everything for 90 minutes will likely end badly for us. Smith prefers to play more centrally and we could go 4-4-1-1 and allow whoever plays as the striker and Smith to press their back line. Exactly how that midfield would shape up I'm not entirely sure. You'd expect McGinn and Willock to play. Magennis should although where do you fit him in, and in turn who would be the wide players in that very flat midfield.

As for who should be up front, I am very much of the opinion it should be Mullen. He's started the season well, and looks confident, it's all going to depend on his hold up play. Last season it was much less important and we tended to be going forward and the transitions were pretty seamless. In a game like Rangers we will be sitting back and hitting on the break needing someone to hold that ball up. Can Mullen do that as effectively as the new lad? Who knows, but there is another reason for wanting Mullen to play and that's to send a signal that while Stubbs may be brining in new players he has to trust the ones already here.

Edited by Buddist Monk

36 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Rangers are simply better than us man for man, anyone wishing to argue that is entirely welcome to but the stark truth is that of our starting 11 maybe Magennis would get a game but that's about it.

I believe Cammy Smith could get a game for anyone in the Premiership outside Celtic. He'd probably be excellent in a Celtic side with top players around him. For me, he was our POTY last season and as Morgan got all of the plaudits, Cammy flew under the radar somewhat. 

7 hours ago, Spam_Valley said:

I believe Cammy Smith could get a game for anyone in the Premiership outside Celtic.

I hesitated with whether to add him to Magennis. I do think he deserves credit for what he achieved last year and like you said he sort of didn't get that because of Morgan. It'll be interesting just to see how far he's come as he was not convincing with Aberdeen when he last played in the top league. Although I believe McInnes still wanted to keep him.

7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I actually agree with all of that. :blink:

Like a broken clock, I'll be right once in a while... ;)

7 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Can see him shoe horning Smith into left mid.

I think you are right, which would hint towards a 4-1-4-1 with maybe Flynn and Smith on the wide of the 5, (S) McGinn holding with Willock and Magennis in the midfield.

I get the feeling Stubbs fell upon a narrow 4-4-2 purely to accommodate the players we had at the time and it's just worked and he's at a wee bit of a loss as to how to change things around and keep them working.

Edited by Buddist Monk

I reckon that Stubbs will play exactly the same team as last week, except for Brock-Madsen replacing Stewart.

How he fits the players into the system will be interesting. Mullen can play wide midfield or "in the hole" if needs be IMO.

I don't think we can do too much to shore up our midfield defensively, as I don't believe we have the players to do that.

The key thing for me is to tighten up the defence. Make sure that Coulson doesn't drift into the middle of the park, and hope that Kpekawa is a bit fitter and sharper than last week.

9 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I reckon that Stubbs will play exactly the same team as last week, except for Brock-Madsen replacing Stewart.

How he fits the players into the system will be interesting. Mullen can play wide midfield or "in the hole" if needs be IMO.

I don't think we can do too much to shore up our midfield defensively, as I don't believe we have the players to do that.

The key thing for me is to tighten up the defence. Make sure that Coulson doesn't drift into the middle of the park, and hope that Kpekawa is a bit fitter and sharper than last week.

Agree with this. I think Kpekawa is improving all the time and looking more mobile. I thought the team pressed Dundee really well and suspect we will try to do that again. COYS.

57 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I realise that we've had success with the narrow 4-4-2 and it might work for also-rans like Dundee or lower league opposition like Dumbarton, but I really cannot see that working at Ibrox. I can see Stubbs shifting to 1 up front and possibly a 5 midfield or 4 with one acting as cover for a back 4. We could play 5 at the back, but only just, the idea of a back 3 of Baird, Kpekawa and Heaton would give me nightmares although it's fair to say that Coulson and McGinn would probably do quite well as more attacking wing backs.

I do think we will need to press them, @Demented Zebra is right in the sense that if we sit back and try and absorb everything for 90 minutes will likely end badly for us. Smith prefers to play more centrally and we could go 4-4-1-1 and allow whoever plays as the striker and Smith to press their back line. Exactly how that midfield would shape up I'm not entirely sure. You'd expect McGinn and Willock to play. Magennis should although where do you fit him in, and in turn who would be the wide players in that very flat midfield.

As for who should be up front, I am very much of the opinion it should be Mullen. He's started the season well, and looks confident, it's all going to depend on his hold up play. Last season it was much less important and we tended to be going forward and the transitions were pretty seamless. In a game like Rangers we will be sitting back and hitting on the break needing someone to hold that ball up. Can Mullen do that as effectively as the new lad? Who knows, but there is another reason for wanting Mullen to play and that's to send a signal that while Stubbs may be brining in new players he has to trust the ones already here.

You're bang on there BM. Agree with everything you've said...Hopefully Smith in behind Mullen to start with then maybe bring on Brock-Madsen for the last 15-20 mins once wee Danny has run himself out...

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

When I wrote dimond shape by that I meant one up front 5 in the middle 4 defending with midfield helping both defence and forward line 

2 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

When I wrote dimond shape by that I meant one up front 5 in the middle 4 defending with midfield helping both defence and forward line 

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Aye but that’s no a diamond!

23 minutes ago, Soctty said:

That's not a diamond...

19 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

It’s no a diamond.

8 minutes ago, Drooper said:

A diamond, it is not.

So is that a diamond or not? 

I’m not sure :P