The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Not sure where you are coming from on this Ross = Dane not Mullen.  The Dane has played at a much higher level also. What's he like ? You know as much as I do however this is who Stubbs wanted in so that's good enough for me. 

You would make a really shit football manager if you immediately dropped a guy who scored two goals to win the opening game in the league for an untried loanee who struggled to score goals in a league of similar stature.

1 minute ago, Demented Zebra said:

Stubbs will be cautious but won't sit with 11 men behind the ball we will have a go. Do you really think Gers are very good ? A wee bit better than last season but not much better. 

I think if we use the narrow 4-4-2 we used against Dundee we will get absolutely ripped apart. A solid 4-5-1 (or 4-1-4-1) will be the order of the day. I'd happily lay money on it.

Edited by Buddist Monk

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

You would make a really shit football manager if you immediately dropped a guy who scored two goals to win the opening game in the league for an untried loanee who struggled to score goals in a league of similar stature.

You need to read my post a bit more slowly I never said Mullen would be dropped I wrote the Dane replaces big Ross. 

4 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

You need to read my post a bit more slowly I never said Mullen would be dropped I wrote the Dane replaces big Ross. 

You joined into a conversation thread where I had mentioned twice that we won't play 2 up front and that Mullen shouldn't be replaced as that one as he's clearly on form.

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

You joined into a conversation thread where I had mentioned twice that we won't play 2 up front and that Mullen shouldn't be replaced as that one as he's clearly on form.

I expect us to start with Stubbs dimond shape if it goes to plan can see the big Dane being brought on or even replacing Mullen later in the game. 

5 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

I expect us to start with Stubbs dimond shape if it goes to plan can see the big Dane being brought on or even replacing Mullen later in the game. 

imo... Rangers have the wingers and full backs to rip us apart if we play narrow. We could try pushing a high line but against a team with pace that is a recipe for disaster.

I'd love us to go out with confidence and play our natural game (whatever that actually is these days) and the Ranger game is a free hit of sorts, but I'd be surprised if Stubbs goes down that route.

43 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

imo... Rangers have the wingers and full backs to rip us apart if we play narrow. We could try pushing a high line but against a team with pace that is a recipe for disaster.

I'd love us to go out with confidence and play our natural game (whatever that actually is these days) and the Ranger game is a free hit of sorts, but I'd be surprised if Stubbs goes down that route.

They are not as good as you are making out far from it. 

Edited by Demented Zebra

29 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Yes, but it’s a big park. An early goal for them, and that formation will make it difficult for us to come back.

think Mullen will start up top in a 4-4-1-1 type formation.

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

Rangers are a good side. It gives me no pleasure saying that and it also gives me no pleasure saying that they are streets ahead of us on the park.

Doesn't mean they can't be beaten, they most certainly can, but only by being very careful.

Edited by Buddist Monk

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

Rangers are a good side. It gives me no pleasure saying that and it also gives me no pleasure saying that they are streets ahead of us on the park.

Doesn't mean they can't be beaten, they most certainly can, but only by being very careful.

I watched them on TV European game gave up after 25min utterly boring and poor. Against Aberdeen a team who looked jaded from the Burnley game. Of course they have some good players but they are no where as good as Celtic. If we sit back and let them come at us constantly they will win.  We should go out and have a go not giving them too much respect . That's my view. 

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

I think you may eat those words on Sunday. They are a better side than we are especially defensively. This is a difficult game and we will do well not to lose by a couple of goals. 

1 minute ago, AW saint said:

I think you may eat those words on Sunday. They are a better side than we are especially defensively. This is a difficult game and we will do well not to lose by a couple of goals. 

I'm not saying they are a bad team top six yes. Great team no, sit too deep we will be slaughtered.  That's not the Stubbs way. 

I watched them on TV European game gave up after 25min utterly boring and poor. Against Aberdeen a team who looked jaded from the Burnley game. Of course they have some good players but they are no where as good as Celtic. If we sit back and let them come at us constantly they will win.  We should go out and have a go not giving them too much respect . That's my view. 
give them ZERO respect. one of our best results last season was against that lot. might have been lucky in mqny ways but we went for it. i might regret it come the end of the season but get wired in lads!!!

15 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Yes, but it’s a big park. An early goal for them, and that formation will make it difficult for us to come back.

think Mullen will start up top in a 4-4-1-1 type formation.

The Ibrox pitch and ours are the same dimensions. So, nothing our players shouldn't be used to.

Rangers are simply better than us man for man, anyone wishing to argue that is entirely welcome to but the stark truth is that of our starting 11 maybe Magennis would get a game but that's about it. That's not trying to run down our club, it's just the financial realities. Said it before, it gives me no pleasure in saying that.

Anyone thinking we should be matching up to them, or going with 2 up front will (imo) be sorely disappointed as I cannot see Stubbs hitting the gamble button - there simply is no point in doing so. Could we press high? Sure we could. Could we score goals? Yup, again, certainly possible. Can we beat them? Despite them being a better side yes we most certainly could. After all when it all comes down to it, it's still just 11 v 11, but we won't do that by shooting our bolt early and getting caught in behind and finding ourselves a goal (or couple) down within the first 20.

"Softly, softly, catchee monkey"