The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

27 minutes ago, TQM said:

The way the team is set up, with 4 CM's playing narrow in a diamond, the 2 full backs are the width in the team and need to push forward. If Coulson is to be "put on a leash", the shape of the midfield needs to be changed.

Perhaps I should elaborate, this isn't about him pushing forward with the attack, and you are right that with the narrow 442 we are playing it requires the full backs to push on. This is more about his positional sense in general. I've alluded to Camara where when we had an attack against us down our left, we'd look to where the left back should be and see an empty space rather than a player. I get why on a leash may seem like I don't want him upfield, it was a clumsy phrase that was hinting at his positional awareness.

I think most accept that LB is not really Coulson's best position, and I think Stubbs will revert to a 433 later on in the campaign so we'll just need to see how he develops.

All in all, I should say that I'm pretty happy with his addition to the squad and while I would probably prefer someone like Eckersley in that role, I don't think Coulson has done much wrong.

Edited by Buddist Monk

2 hours ago, billyg said:

Just to avoid confusion , McQueen played against Dunfermline in a 1-0 defeat a few days after that , his last game was against Berwick , but not the game you have highlighted !

i looked at the berwick away game but clicked on the link for the home game.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1972&GameID=197209200

49 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

i looked at the berwick away game but clicked on the link for the home game.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1972&GameID=197209200

:) easy mistake , happened quite regular back then , two games against same opposition over a short period !

7 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Perhaps I should elaborate, this isn't about him pushing forward with the attack, and you are right that with the narrow 442 we are playing it requires the full backs to push on. This is more about his positional sense in general.

Think you're maybe being a bit harsh on Coulson with regards to his positional sense. The times he was out of position, we were breaking up the park and gave away possession when Coulson is overlapping, which is why there is lots of space down that side. When the opposition have possession and he's defending, his positioning has been ok.

7 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

I've alluded to Camara where when we had an attack against us down our left, we'd look to where the left back should be and see an empty space rather than a player.

I think most people seen an empty jersey instead of a player.

I love how some people have written off some of these players when we are just one proper game into the season. They are all young, moved up from England, getting used to a new club, some getting used to a full-time set up. They may need time, some may even need a spell out on loan, but please don't write them off just yet. Heaton in particular was very highly thought of by Darlington fans.
Hoping he is the next Broadfoot [emoji7]. Just seems like something you do in FM, spend a huge amount of money on someone with potential, then realise your still short in a few key positions in the squad.

Sounds like it will be a busy week. Probably not the best preparation for Ibrox but this is a free hit against them anyway.

On 03/08/2018 at 19:47, djchapsticks said:

That Monday and Tuesday will be activity days.

I suppose, looking at the photo you posted on BAWA, I should be asking you the same thing.... :lol:

Seemingly not from our a Italian pals after all another one falls by the wayside. Going by some Italian journo on twitter. 

On 03/08/2018 at 19:47, djchapsticks said:

That Monday and Tuesday will be activity days.

I suppose, looking at the photo you posted on BAWA, I should be asking you the same thing.... :lol:

Well I am guessing that with 35 minutes to go until 5 pm nothing is happening again or do the sfa offices stay open longer for registration of players

40 minutes ago, elvis said:

Well I am guessing that with 35 minutes to go until 5 pm nothing is happening again or do the sfa offices stay open longer for registration of players

We have announced plenty of signings in the past after 5pm.

Will today be one of those days? I thought so but even if I'm wrong, I still reckon there's going to be plenty of movement this week. 

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

We have announced plenty of signings in the past after 5pm.

Will today be one of those days? I thought so but even if I'm wrong, I still reckon there's going to be plenty of movement this week. 

1 in tomorrow but I wouldn’t get your hopes up on the other 1.

6 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:
12 minutes ago, McG said:
1 in tomorrow but I wouldn’t get your hopes up on the other 1.

Assuming this would be the Juve player like they'd actually consider sending a player to a newly promoted spfl club

You do realise they've sent him out to two struggling Dutch 2nd division sides for the last two years?

Beltrame seems to be a strange player, been on the books at Juve for years but constantly loaned out to second (or even third/fourth) rate teams.

He's 26 I think, clearly not one for the future. Makes you wonder why he's still, technically at least, a Juve player.

None of this makes him any more or less likely to be coming to St. Mirren, just seems a bit odd.