The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Saintees claiming Willock was not what they wanted and that's why he's not back with them, while their boss mumps about how little cash he has to make any signings is cute.

Read our thread, people have been saying for months we need a replacement for Chris Millar, you'll have seen yourself Willock isn't the type who'll sit deep and spray passes about, he's more about final third actions. 

A summer without Tommy Wright moaning about money is like a Summer without a July. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Read our thread, people have been saying for months we need a replacement for Chris Millar, you'll have seen yourself Willock isn't the type who'll sit deep and spray passes about, he's more about final third actions. 

A summer without Tommy Wright moaning about money is like a Summer without a July. 

So, just to clarify.. he's a player the fans and manager would happily see return to them, but because of the budget constraints you can only prioritise one position and that isn't the one Willock plays?

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

So, just to clarify.. he's a player the fans and manager would happily see return to them, but because of the budrget constraints you can only prioritise one position and that isn't the one Willock plays?

Well yes, to a point. We've prioritised other players. We needed a CM, two wingers and a striker who could all start. We chose the two wingers and strikers ahead of Willock. 

15 hours ago, GAD said:

Saintees fans are fucking rubbish at this. 

The standard if trolling from the Saintees is a new low for Scottish football.

10 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

E9CEE48D-C733-4BF5-B1CC-DD653D2F0D53.png

That account has made about 300 posts in four years and has a similar number of followers so I'll take it with a pinch of salt, although Stubbs is quoted as saying he's been on to Everton for loan players so there may be something in it.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well yes, to a point. We've prioritised other players. We needed a CM, two wingers and a striker who could all start. We chose the two wingers and strikers ahead of Willock. 

So.... it's as I originally said. Good, good... 8)

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

That account has made about 300 posts in four years and has a similar number of followers so I'll take it with a pinch of salt, although Stubbs is quoted as saying he's been on to Everton for loan players so there may be something in it.

I was going to say, it's not a verified twitter account and isn't connected to the club.

While I'd be happy for there to be some substance to this, and there may be a kernel of truth to it, it's no different to the Rumours Mill on B&WA.

Just now, ali_91 said:

Bit unfair...

Unfair? I'd say it's a pretty damned accurate picture just that some of your fans don't wish to admit it!

Bottom line? Brown(s), Wright, et al, have all done an excellent job with St Johnstone. I have no axe to grind here. Obviously I am of the opinion that you've been punching above your weight for some time now and a readjustment will happen and that the club to benefit from that will be us. We'll just have to wait and see about that.. ;)

14 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Unfair? I'd say it's a pretty damned accurate picture just that some of your fans don't wish to admit it!

Bottom line? Brown(s), Wright, et al, have all done an excellent job with St Johnstone. I have no axe to grind here. Obviously I am of the opinion that you've been punching above your weight for some time now and a readjustment will happen and that the club to benefit from that will be us. We'll just have to wait and see about that.. ;)

Our "readjustment" was last season, when we were pretty dire and genuinely had an ageing squad, and the likes of Hibernian and Kilmarnock retook their spot in the top half. 

If you're expecting St Mirren to become top six regulars then you'll be disappointed. We took advantage of Hearts/Hibs/Kilmarnock and Rangers all either being out the league or weakened, I doubt that'll all happen at once again. 

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our "readjustment" was last season, when we were pretty dire and genuinely had an ageing squad, and the likes of Hibernian and Kilmarnock retook their spot in the top half.

..and to continue this season. I reckon you'll be lucky to avoid the relegation battle. More so when Wright moves after getting annoyed at working with buttons.

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you're expecting St Mirren to become top six regulars then you'll be disappointed. We took advantage of Hearts/Hibs/Kilmarnock and Rangers all either being out the league or weakened, I doubt that'll all happen at once again. 

When did Killie get punted down to the lower leagues? Not recently. Anyway, you'd hardly call them a "big team". Sure they are top league regulars but don't have the spending power of the Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow clubs.

Edited by Buddist Monk

28 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

..and to continue this season. I reckon you'll be lucky to avoid the relegation battle. More so when Wright moves after getting annoyed at working with buttons.

When did Killie get punted down to the lower leagues? Not recently. Anyway, you'd hardly call them a "big team". Sure they are top league regulars but don't have the spending power of the Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow clubs.

Yeah, we've heard that top paragraph for the past three/four seasons, I'm sure we'll survive. 

And Kilmarnock were under the "weakened" tag, second half of last season their form was league challenging, and they've not lost anyone of genuine note, Mulumbu aside. 

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.. ;)

You're literally copying Fifespuds "bubbles burst" seasonal ramblings to the letter.