The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Bobby_F said:

I'd be astonished if beating Dumbarton was enough to get us through.

Way we've been playing seems like a moot point anyway!

I would be very surprised as well. Every league, the second place team can get a max of 9, 10 or 11 points and our goal difference is worst of the lot. No chance we're going through unless we hammer them 

4 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Hmm... not sure if Shankland is the answer to be honest. He's currently scoring goals sure but that was two divisions below where we need him and then against lower league opposition in the cup. I just don't believe he would achieve more in the setup we have than Mullen could if given the right service.

No offence, but that is well wide of the mark. Shankland has scored the same amount in 36 games for Ayr as Mullen did in 141 games for Livi. Sir Lawrence of Ayrshire would, I have no doubt, be the saviour of St Mirren if the move did happen but he has just signed a new contract so paws off and gtf Chic Young.

3 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

No offence, but that is well wide of the mark. Shankland has scored the same amount in 36 games for Ayr as Mullen did in 141 games for Livi. Sir Lawrence of Ayrshire would, I have no doubt, be the saviour of St Mirren if the move did happen but he has just signed a new contract so paws off and gtf Chic Young.

I have two things to say to that:

1) What league were Ayr playing in last season?

2) Shankland wasn't the "saviour" for us the first time round, he wouldn't be the second time.

I wish him all the best, mind, I have no reason to dislike the guy or Ayr for that matter.

Edited by Buddist Monk

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

I have two things to say to that:

1) What league were Ayr playing last season?

2) Shankland wasn't the "saviour" for us the first time round, he wouldn't be the second time.

I wish him all the best, mind, I have no reason to dislike the guy or Ayr for that matter.

The same league that Mullen was playing in when he scored almost 50% of his goals for Livingston.  I get your point, but I have to say that he is unrecognisable now from the player that St Mirren and Morton fans remember, so I would advise against judging him on that.

Not that I want to draw attention to this fact. I love him and would quite like to keep him forever.

42 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

He was actually bloody good the first time, and shit the second time. It's the (not happening) third time we're discussing here.

The same league that Mullen was playing in when he scored almost 50% of his goals for Livingston.  I get your point, but I have to say that he is unrecognisable now from the player that St Mirren and Morton fans remember, so I would advise against judging him on that.
Not that I want to draw attention to this fact. I love him and would quite like to keep him forever.
Shanks did well for us in his first spell but was really unfit when he came back after the summer however he did score 1 in 3 the first time around and you're right, the boy has plenty of talent. Best of luck for the season.

46 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

The same league that Mullen was playing in when he scored almost 50% of his goals for Livingston.

Hmm... your argument seems to be getting a little stretched here.. ;)

Ultimately the way we are set up and the service being provided would make for a nightmare for any striker regardless of their ability!

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He was actually bloody good the first time, and shit the second time. It's the (not happening) third time we're discussing here.

I mean you're right, but essentially it just ended up being one loooong loan rather than two.

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

I mean you're right, but essentially it just ended up being one loooong loan rather than two.

I wasn't just being picky: I think it's fair to separate out the first two spells because he did play a big part in keeping us up under Rae. 

What the hell happened to him that summer - he was terrible for us and then for Morton - was anyone's guess. I'm pleased for the lad now though and can well imagine him being top scorer in the Championship this season. 

Maybe we should sign him for our 2019/20 promotion challenge :unsure:

1 hour ago, Torfason said:
2 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Shanks did well for us in his first spell but was really unfit when he came back after the summer however he did score 1 in 3 the first time around and you're right, the boy has plenty of talent. Best of luck for the season.

Was poor for Morton in the Championship too. Will be interesting to see how he gets on this year back at that level.

Having watched Ayr highlights pretty regularly on YouTube he's still heavy and ponderous-looking. Good finisher though and obviously full of confidence.

Just now, Buttocks Brown said:

Having watched Ayr highlights pretty regularly on YouTube he's still heavy and ponderous-looking. Good finisher though and obviously full of confidence.

Two of my top five Saints were heavy and ponderous looking, in fairness :lol:

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Two of my top five Saints were heavy and ponderous looking, in fairness :lol:

True! The game's maybe moved on since Lavety and Yardley though. Players are stronger and more athletic these days. It's the forwards with pace and / or guile that centre-halves tend to fear.

52 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Sorry - don’t do twitter.. can someone explain?

Someone on Twitter asked why the interview with Stubbs after last night's game didn't have a question about the absence of Eckersley and MacKenzie. The person doing the interview replied saying they were injured. Eckersley's reply suggests otherwise. Shades of the situation when Iain Nicolson and Tom Hendrie fell out years ago and Nicolson had a string of "injuries".

It's a bit silly asking why there hasn't been a question about it anyway because if there is something controversial about their lack of involvement it's not going to be aired through one of the club's official media channels.

Can I ask why there is such a clamour for Eckersley to be back in the team? I've only seen the Killie game (and that was on TV) but everyone was raving about Coulson after that game and he was rightly man of the match. Given that he plays in Eckersley's position, why are folk suddenly desperate for him to be playing? This isn't meant to be aggressive or snide BTW, genuinely wondering what the hell has been going on while I was away!

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Someone on Twitter asked why the interview with Stubbs after last night's game didn't have a question about the absence of Eckersley and MacKenzie. The person doing the interview replied saying they were injured. Eckersley's reply suggests otherwise. Shades of the situation when Iain Nicolson and Tom Hendrie fell out years ago and Nicolson had a string of "injuries".

It's a bit silly asking why there hasn't been a question about it anyway because if there is something controversial about their lack of involvement it's not going to be aired through one of the club's official media channels.

Can I ask why there is such a clamour for Eckersley to be back in the team? I've only seen the Killie game (and that was on TV) but everyone was raving about Coulson after that game and he was rightly man of the match. Given that he plays in Eckersley's position, why are folk suddenly desperate for him to be playing? This isn't meant to be aggressive or snide BTW, genuinely wondering what the hell has been going on while I was away!

Probably because we aren't creating anything from wide. Adam could slot in at LB allowing Coulson to push forward to his wide-left favoured position !

You seem like a club in meltdown at the moment. Stubbs has went in all guns blazing and looks like he's fucked it for himself. Lucky Livi have Kenny Miller as their manager as the situation should be salvageable!

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

You seem like a club in meltdown at the moment. Stubbs has went in all guns blazing and looks like he's fucked it for himself. Lucky Livi have Kenny Miller as their manager as the situation should be salvageable!

If we 'salvage' the situation by virtue of Livi somehow being worse than us, we don't get to activate any possible relegation clause. It's a legit Catch 22.

Had a quick look last night, found the tweet and neither Eckersley nor the lad Hunter have replied. To me this just sounds like a misunderstanding. Perhaps Stubbs said to Hunter that Eckersley was injured, perhaps Hunter just assumed he was.

I feel that some people would start a fight in an empty room, the problem here is that empty room is in our house.

The only interesting thing about this, until either Eckersley, Stubbs or Hunter clarifies the position is the fact Eckersley was with Hibs while Stubbs was there but never played a game. I believe that was due to injury then but maybe the Hibs fans could clarify.