The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Cumdog35 said:

as long as you avoid relegation then happy days

Well, yes... and no.

Obviously you are right, but we had Stubbs bumping his gums to anyone who would listen that he's not here just to keep us in the league. That combined with season after season of shitfesting just to retain that league status (under MacPherson then Lennon) to the point where many were "happy" we were relegated purely because it broke that cycle.

Stubbs has come in, said some fairly clickbaity bullshit ("marquee signing" / "not here just to avoid relegation" / etc) and is currently having to back those claims up. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he said them as they are the things us fans want to hear. The problem is walking the walk after all the talking the talk, that at present seems to be the missing element.

Ultimately I'm not overly fussed until one of two things happen.

1) We get to the end of the transfer window and we're still struggling to get bodies in.

2) We start to panic buy, and by that I mean Stokes and/or any other shite that will only have a negative affect on the squad - whether that be personal or ability.

1 hour ago, Cumdog35 said:

Oops.

Guys, seriously. Don't be too disheartened. Stubbs will need time to get things right. You have lost alot of good players over the past wee while. Give him the year, as long as you avoid relegation then happy days. What formation did he play out of interest?

Watch his post match interview from yesterday,he’s like a rabbit caught in the headlights with absolutely nothing to say. The feel good factor about the club is slowly draining away as he signs non league diddies who are clearly not up to the required standard for this level.

14 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Just thought I'd add this in, according to the BBC Gossip page the trialists were.. Martin Paterson, Amire Linganzi and Adil Nabi

Nabi was on trial with us. He went over to Portugal with us, and McCann was repeatedly saying in the media that he highly rated him but he was nowhere near fit enough.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Nabi was on trial with us. He went over to Portugal with us, and McCann was repeatedly saying in the media that he highly rated him but he was nowhere near fit enough.

He only got a short amount of time but in that time made a decision that instantly made most folk (Stubbs included) go 'nope'.

The ball broke about 22 yards out on his left foot and he had a clear run and would definitely have got a shot away if he'd just taken the touch with his left to set himself. Instead, he took it onto his right and ran straight back to where the one and only Sunderland player was, who easily dispossessed him.

It was a godawful choice to make and sort of summed up that lack instict you'd at least like to see in a potential centre forward.

16 hours ago, NorthBank said:

I think its a 180degree about face. Its the sensible fans that are worried and those not worried have not seen us play.

I've seen every minute of every game we've played this season. Yesterday was shambolic, with two trialists starting - neither of whom looked anywhere near the level we want - and a raft of second half subs made, it being a friendly. It was an embarrassing scoreline, and in the second half we were woeful. I though we started well, and played some decent stuff in the first half, although we didn't have enough support for the trialist striker, whose biggest attribute seemed to be drawing fouls.

We now need to go with our strongest team from here on in, and hope that the new guys who have been given little game time, can get up to speed with sub appearances, and give us a better idea of their merits at some point. I'm thinking Heaton, Kellermann and Cooke in the main, with Coulson and McGinn doing pretty well so far imo. and Kpekawa showing some promise.

I'm removing yesterday from my memory bank now, and looking forward. I'm also hoping the board open the pursestrings and allow the manager to get in some singnings of the calibre he clearly though were on the cards after the Killie match, as the team and fans could do with an injection of proven quality to help calm our nerves and improve their morale.

6 hours ago, Cumdog35 said:

Oops.

Guys, seriously. Don't be too disheartened. Stubbs will need time to get things right. You have lost alot of good players over the past wee while. Give him the year, as long as you avoid relegation then happy days. What formation did he play out of interest?

I hope you’re right but so far his signings have looked out their depth with the exception of Coulson and even he looks a lot better going forward then defending, which for a LB is a worry. He goes forward and after we lose the ball he doesn’t get back, leaving a right winger about 30 yards of free space.

My biggest concern is that Stubbs has grossly misjudged the standard required and wasted too much of his budget on nobodies and is now starting to panic. 

It’s still early and like I say I hope you’re right but right now it looks worrying.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Dundee looked pretty rotten today, they need to make a few signings too, so we aren't the only ones in need of a bit of surgery.

We need a convincing win on Tuesday.

Tbf to Dundee they have Caulker and Kamara to return. Kamara is one of the best midfielders in the league. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf to Dundee they have Caulker and Kamara to return. Kamara is one of the best midfielders in the league. 

We still have Kyle Magennis to come back, who I'd say is probably our best player. 

It won't get us goals, though and that's a massive issue. 

In the cold light of day, if Stubbs swallows down his pride and accepts he was being hasty and that Gary McKenzie and Adam Eckersley have roles to play in this side, Magennis comes back soon and he gets Cammy Smith back playing behind the front man where he belongs rather than out wide where he's completely wasted and clearly unhappy, we could get away with just bringing in a first choice centre forward, winger and another right back and the damage to the squad might not be as catastrophic as it looks just now. 

McKenzie and Eckersley are both the wrong side of 30 and neither are the fastest but both being involved would certainly improve the squad by being involved again in my opinion. 

You hope he is just experimenting with Smith just now.

Recruitment between now and the end of August is key but if Stubbs is questioning his own signings so far why should't the fans be.

Worst fear is he blows all the budget on panic signings, they turn out shite, he gets sacked by November and the new guy has to wheel and deal to get the dross off the books or we are stuck with them and are relegated.

Can't be doing with another season of hoping there is a team more shite than us.
We don't have until end of August. The window closes on the 9th of August.

21 minutes ago, Fony Titz said:
10 hours ago, sergie said:

Recruitment between now and the end of August is key but if Stubbs is questioning his own signings so far why should't the fans be.

Worst fear is he blows all the budget on panic signings, they turn out shite, he gets sacked by November and the new guy has to wheel and deal to get the dross off the books or we are stuck with them and are relegated.

Can't be doing with another season of hoping there is a team more shite than us.

I think that’s just England...

We still have Kyle Magennis to come back, who I'd say is probably our best player. 
It won't get us goals, though and that's a massive issue. 
In the cold light of day, if Stubbs swallows down his pride and accepts he was being hasty and that Gary McKenzie and Adam Eckersley have roles to play in this side, Magennis comes back soon and he gets Cammy Smith back playing behind the front man where he belongs rather than out wide where he's completely wasted and clearly unhappy, we could get away with just bringing in a first choice centre forward, winger and another right back and the damage to the squad might not be as catastrophic as it looks just now. 
McKenzie and Eckersley are both the wrong side of 30 and neither are the fastest but both being involved would certainly improve the squad by being involved again in my opinion. 
Eckersley and mckenzie would both add to the quality of the team just now but them coming back into the fold won't solve the issues of the imbalance of the squad.

We could maybe play both Coulson and Ecko on the left with Coulson playing in a more advanced role adding pace to the left wing.

1 minute ago, Fony Titz said:

Eckersley and mckenzie would both add to the quality of the team just now but them coming back into the fold won't solve the issues of the imbalance of the squad.

We could maybe play both Coulson and Ecko on the left with Coulson playing in a more advanced role adding pace to the left wing.

I'm not advocating that both should stay at all costs. I'm advocating that neither should move on with the squad in its current state and both should be actively involved up to the point where we have replacements for both who are better. 

I'm not advocating that both should stay at all costs. I'm advocating that neither should move on with the squad in its current state and both should be actively involved up to the point where we have replacements for both who are better. 
Absolutely - Spot on.

2 hours ago, Fony Titz said:
12 hours ago, sergie said:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44335487&ved=2ahUKEwj6vamv17PcAhXI-qQKHZSVA6cQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2dSClciQGsGVBT_F_ey71P&ampcf=1

On 21/07/2018 at 08:22, Soctty said:

I've literally denied it, so yes they can.

Fans will be as patient as they like, regardless of your thoughts. I think he'll get plenty of time and would be concerned if he didn't. 

You genuinely don’t see any concern at all in St Mirren drawing with an amateur side? 

How much time should he be given? He hasn’t got the best track record at other clubs and has told three important players in our title winning team they’re free to leave. Most of his new signings are already looking, cause for concern. 

If we’re sitting in a similar position to Rotherham in a few months time, do we still keep him and hope he turns it around? 

Right now it’s all ifs and buts but fans have every right to be concerned with the way we’ve approached our last two games.