The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Oh dear oh dear.

Has all the hallmarks of a manager under estimating the existing squad, and required standard of the top division.

McKenzie and Eck must be spewing about not able to get into that squad today.

The honest appraisal of the playing squad from what we've seen so far is a shambolic, unbalanced group of strangers and journeymen punctuated by a couple of decent quality players.

Overall? Nowhere near good enough to survive in the top league. I can honestly say I feel a couple of these guys are going to have very short and expensive (to the club) careers that will see them farmed out or mutually consented in quite swift fashion.

The other worry is that we've missed the boat in a big way for genuine quality signings. The league starts in two weeks, the pool of available free talent is getting smaller and smaller by the day and we're rapidly approaching that all too familiar situation where all that's left are the 5 to 3 dregs like those that were on trial with us today.

We've seriously got to pull something out of the hat and quickly or it's going to make 2014/15 look like a golden era.

I was gutted to look at today's League Cup fixtures and see that there wouldn't be an opportunity to laugh at St. Mirren. This is before I realised that they lost 6-0 in a friendly against Sunderland. What an embarrassing representative for our top-tier.

27 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Who was number 9 for St Mirren?

He was one of the worst players I've seen in a long time and I just spent a season watching Adam Barton strolling around not giving a f**k about us being relegated.

Apparently was Martin Paterson as Trialist B. Stubbs saying all of them (the trialists) are away so there you go...

For me the worst player was trialist A- number 22. He was utterly, utterly chronic.

Edited by flyingscot

Oh dear oh dear.
Has all the hallmarks of a manager under estimating the existing squad, and required standard of the top division.
McKenzie and Eck must be spewing about not able to get into that squad today.
Totally agree, the failing of a lot of promoted teams is being too faithful to the guys who got you up BUT replacing them with worse players is mental. Stubbs needs quality and quickly as we don't have the luxury of giving new signings time to bed in. Points are going to be hard enough to get this season [emoji53]

Totally agree with the posts above about the poor quality of signings but I'm equally worried by Stubbs shunting Cammy Smith, our best player, out onto the left wing and freezing out Eckersley, who was brilliant last season. These both strike me as the actions of a manager who can't spot a quality player.

Sensible fans aren't worried on the basis of a game that is basically preseason. :thumsup2
The fact that we look as though we're short of quality up front is worth further consideration though 

I think its a 180degree about face. Its the sensible fans that are worried and those not worried have not seen us play.

Totally agree with the posts above about the poor quality of signings but I'm equally worried by Stubbs shunting Cammy Smith, our best player, out onto the left wing and freezing out Eckersley, who was brilliant last season. These both strike me as the actions of a manager who can't spot a quality player.
You hope he is just experimenting with Smith just now.

Recruitment between now and the end of August is key but if Stubbs is questioning his own signings so far why should't the fans be.

Worst fear is he blows all the budget on panic signings, they turn out shite, he gets sacked by November and the new guy has to wheel and deal to get the dross off the books or we are stuck with them and are relegated.

Can't be doing with another season of hoping there is a team more shite than us.

21 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I think we'll do okay today. 

Oops.

Guys, seriously. Don't be too disheartened. Stubbs will need time to get things right. You have lost alot of good players over the past wee while. Give him the year, as long as you avoid relegation then happy days. What formation did he play out of interest?