The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I'd heard rumours about Stewart maybe going to Thistle, which would be a shame as I think there is a player in there and just needs development.

Doolan, though, while no spring chicken is a proven goal scorer at this level and doesn't seem to be the "billy big baws" attitude that some other strikers may have. I'd happily welcome him into the fold and presumably Thistle don't want to continue paying Premiership wages. Not sure you could claim he's a marquee signing though.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Assuming we are going to line up in a 4-3-3 as we did on Friday, and we sign this 'exciting' striker, and we keep Mullen, you'd assume Doolan would be third choice for the central striker slot, and we've already got Cooke, too. I'm simply not sure we'd need him.

(Then again, I wonder if we'll shift to more of a 4-2-3-1 just to get the best out the players we've got - I liked the look of King so him, Smith, plus A.N. Other in the three behind the striker would be promising.) McGinn and Flynn at the base of midfield.

I think it’s fair to say that Stubbs is going to play an expansive game maybe even more so than Ross.

His recruitment has been a strongpoint so we should again trust his judgment if it’s true.

There's no way , if you get Doolan, that he will be a squad player. He has scored double figures for us every season in the Premiership. When you consider that we spent 4of the 5 seasons  fighting the drop that's a pretty good return.

He could absolutely still play in the prem

Doolan's goal return is very, very good all things considered. Hardly any penalties to pad out his stats.

I'd be absolutely astonished if he left us since

i) I'm 99% sure he had a clause to leave on a free post-relegation if he wanted. Could maybe be a situation where he stayed so that we could get a fee as a courtesy, but I doubt it.

ii) he's also not far away from a testimonial season which would bring him a good few grand - not megabux but still a decent wedge as he winds down his first team playing career

iii) has just started coaching with the Thistle Weir youth teams.

There's no way , if you get Doolan, that he will be a squad player. He has scored double figures for us every season in the Premiership. When you consider that we spent 4of the 5 seasons  fighting the drop that's a pretty good return.
He could absolutely still play in the prem

He scored 6 last season and 9 in 14-15.

Can’t see it happening tbh.

Just now, pozbaird said:

Gie’s a shout when fat Tony has shifted half a stone and is banging in the goals in the blue / sky blue of St Johnstone.

:lol: give me a shout when your "marquee" signing arrives. 

Whether Doolan is even on Stubbs' radar I have no idea, but it's nice to have fans of his current team come on and say what a decent player he is. Normally when you are linked the opposition are more than happy to come into the thread and rubbish them.

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Marquee signings you say... aye, that’s right fat boy, now fcuk off and have another cream cake.

33DE858A-699A-48BE-B18C-75223D4931E4.jpeg

:lol: be relevant if St Johnstone had claimed Watt was a "marquee" signing, unluckily for you, we're not that desperate. 

1 minute ago, Munoz said:

Desperate enough to sign him.

Again, you should probably wait to see who you sign before slagging other signings. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Again, you should probably wait to see who you sign before slagging other signings. 

Some of the players we've already signed look like they'll offer far more the Watt.

51 minutes ago, Fony Titz said:
7 hours ago, NorthBank said:
Because they are fuckin embarrassed about getting Morgan for sweeties and feel they owe us something?

Possibly as a make weight for us getting bumped in the John McGinn deal?

I think that's shaping up pretty well, tbh. Growing talk of interest from south of the border, which can only bump up the price.

It may come down to Meatball's personal ambitions. Not sure if any of his family have Celtic links - surely it would have been mentioned by now if they had :lol: - but he's obviously keen on moving there. The biggest danger is him sitting tight and waiting for a big fat PCA.

2 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Whether Doolan is even on Stubbs' radar I have no idea, but it's nice to have fans of his current team come on and say what a decent player he is. Normally when you are linked the opposition are more than happy to come into the thread and rubbish them.

You won't hear one single bad word about Kris Doolan from a Thistle fan.

I'd be astounded if;
1) we accepted an offer for Doolan in the first place
2) he'd want to leave, given he's just been added to the coaching staff, has a testimonial in the next couple of years and is basically a legend at the club

53 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think that's shaping up pretty well, tbh. Growing talk of interest from south of the border, which can only bump up the price.

It may come down to Meatball's personal ambitions. Not sure if any of his family have Celtic links - surely it would have been mentioned by now if they had :lol: - but he's obviously keen on moving there. The biggest danger is him sitting tight and waiting for a big fat PCA.

I think McGinn needs to move now to be honest, I don't think he'll want to wait another season. He's getting to the Eoin Jess stage of "promising youngster". I'm not sure he's as in demand as we might think. Also, Celtic have been proven to be just as good a springboard to the EPL these days as Leeds or whoever.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

I think McGinn needs to move now to be honest, I don't think he'll want to wait another season. He's getting to the Eoin Jess stage of "promising youngster". I'm not sure he's as in demand as we might think. Also, Celtic have been proven to be just as good a springboard to the EPL these days as Leeds or whoever.

Eoin Jess is definitely one to watch, mind.