The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jason Cummings and Adam Armstrong :lol: at least a few seasons dossing about the second tier hadn't dampened the utter delusions of St Mirren fans. 

A welcome return. 

Aye, a bit silly now I think of it. If Newcastle punt Armstrong they'll probably get a few million for him, such is the madness of things down south. Outside chance of a loan move I suppose but even that would be silly.

It's St Mirren. A marquee signing will almost certainly be a no mark (or marquee) who no one has ever heard of and get punted after six months because he's pish or the manager doesn't fancy him, then about five years later turn out to be quite handy. See Stephan Bahoken and Aaron Mooy.

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Aye, a bit silly now I think of it. If Newcastle punt Armstrong they'll probably get a few million for him, such is the madness of things down south. Outside chance of a loan move I suppose but even that would be silly.

It's St Mirren. A marquee signing will almost certainly be a no mark (or marquee) who no one has ever heard of and get punted after six months because he's pish or the manager doesn't fancy him, then about five years later turn out to be quite handy. See Stephan Bahoken and Aaron Mooy.

Bahoken, to be fair, couldn’t trap a bag of cement and looked pish. Mooy contributed far more. In a Jack Ross era Saints side, Mooy would have been one of the first names on the team sheet every week.

You have to imagine that with Stubbs himself using the term ‘exciting signing’, it must be someone that if it comes off, will genuinely raise eyebrows that St Mirren have pulled off such a coup. As you say though, it’s St Mirren after all, who knows. What’s Isma doing these days?

Edited by pozbaird

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Bahoken, to be fair, couldn’t trap a bag of cement and looked pish. Mooy contributed far more. In a Jack Ross era Saints side, Mooy would have been one of the first names on the team sheet every week.

You have to imagine that with Stubbs himself using the term ‘exciting signing’, it must be someone that if it comes off, will genuinely raise eyebrows that St Mirren have pulled off such a coup. As you say though, it’s St Mirren after all, who knows. What’s Isma doing these days?

Aye there was no inkling Bahoken would pay at any reasonable level of football ever again after the shambles with us. He looked horrendous. Fair play to him for getting to where he is just now. I always felt there was a player in Mooy, although not to the level he has got to!

Hearts punted Isma to a club in a far off land in January. I think they paid a fair fee for him so it won't be him, much as I'd love it to be.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jason Cummings and Adam Armstrong :lol: at least a few seasons dossing about the second tier hadn't dampened the utter delusions of St Mirren fans. 

A welcome return. 

Got to be tough when you have fans of a rival club debating the merits of a marquee signing while waiting on a million pound plus payout from the McGinn transfer, while the best your team can do is pick up a has been who once scored a decent goal 6 years ago when with the OF.

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

Got to be tough when you have fans of a rival club debating the merits of a marquee signing while waiting on a million pound plus payout from the McGinn transfer, while the best your team can do is pick up a has been who once scored a decent goal 6 years ago when with the OF.

:lol: please, carry on. You'll be on about signing Leigh Griffiths on loan next. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

:lol: please, carry on. You'll be on about signing Leigh Griffiths on loan next. 

Does he have a connection to Stubbs and is looking to move? I don't think so.

Jason Cummings however does have a connection and was looking to move. There wasn't anyone linking us to him, but I posted a link to say he'd moved. Hardly what you would call getting ideas above our station.

Sounds, very much like the Dundee fans, you lot are scared of being pushed into the relegation battle by the juggernaut that is Stubbs' St Mirren. :D

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

He is in FIFA, which to be honest is all I know about the player - other than he's at Newcastle.

He's no ginger in fifa either! You maybe thinking of Adam Campbell? 

Im sure he was at St Mirren sometime but not 100% sure

Armstrong was linked with us when Lee Clark was manager and it came to nothing because he wanted to stay in England. No chance he would come up here to join a side like St Mirren.

Cummings has also signed for Peterborough so that isny happening.

Yous will end up with Stokes or some other diddy.

1 minute ago, Nadroj said:

Yous will end up with Stokes or some other diddy.

More feart chat from our opposition. Good, good...

5 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

He's no ginger in fifa either! You maybe thinking of Adam Campbell?

:lol: .. I am.

However I should say I wasn't the one putting the Armstrong rumour out there.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

On the plus side , at least we've avoided Tony Watt. 30 odd goals in 8 years I suppose is a marquee signing for the Fakes.

18 minutes ago, Munoz said:

On the plus side , at least we've avoided Tony Watt. 30 odd goals in 8 years I suppose is a marquee signing for the Fakes.

We've signed a 24 year old striker who played for Scotlands senior team two years ago, and cost over £1m a few years back aswell. 

Best to wait and see who you sign before getting all giddy with yourself. 

18 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

Fucking hell, I thought I'd wiped from my mind that Tony Watt managed to get a cap for Scotland.

It was nothing to do with scoring a goal against Barca , honest. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've signed a 24 year old striker who played for Scotlands senior team two years ago, and cost over £1m a few years back aswell. 

Best to wait and see who you sign before getting all giddy with yourself. 

We signed Mo Camara who had played at a high level, had just turned out at Old Trafford, was still some way from being past-it, was fit as a flea, and had a pedigree suggesting playing for St Mirren would be a doddle for him.

He was shit.

If I were you, I’d hold off on getting a Tony Watt hard-on, being a ‘name’ player guarantees nothing. There’s a reason he’s at St Johnstone via several clubs.

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, Munoz said:

It was nothing to do with scoring a goal against Barca , honest. 

It was about five years after that. It was around the same time frame that Cardiff had a £3m bid accepted for him, but couldn't find the actual money when it came to it. 

Fwiw every single signing at this level is either a complete huddy or a complete gamble. Your "marquee" signing will be one or the other. The best you could realistically get would be Adam Rooney, but even then you're competing against Salford City who "blew" Motherwell out the water for a player this Summer already. 

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

We signed Mo Camara who had played at a high level, had just turned out at Old Trafford, was still some way fom being past-it, was fit as a flea, and had a pedigree suggesting playing for St Mirren would be a doddle for him.

He was shit.

If I were you, I’d hold off on getting a Tony Watt hard-on, being a ‘name’ player guarantees nothing.

Watt will probably score about two goals, go in a sulk, and vanish by mid-October. He's a complete and utter gamble, but clearly has the ability that makes it worth it. You could argue a signing like Stokes would be exactly the same for you lot, but on a much older scale. 

You don't get finished articles, or talented players without major flaws, at this level. 

Edited by RandomGuy.